Transgender offender avoids jail time after marijuana bust

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
A 25-year-old Nova Scotia transgender man has escaped a jail sentence because of his unique personal circumstances.

Jesiah Dean MacDonald of Pictou County was convicted on one charge of producing marijuana earlier this year. A conviction usually comes with jail time for a first offence. Police found 46 plants when they searched an apartment in February.

MacDonald told police they weren't his plants and it wasn't his residence. He said he was being paid to look after them.

MacDonald, born Jessica Dean MacDonald, told the court he wanted to use the money from the marijuana to pay for a sex-change operation.

He also suffers from Crohn's disease and said he relies on marijuana to ease pain related to the condition.

After sentencing him to a year's probation and a $1,000 fine, Justice Nick Scaravelli said: “The difficulty in the present case is balancing the need for a strong statement of denunciation and general deterrence and addressing the offender's unique personal circumstances."

The judge noted MacDonald was trying to pay for a gender reassignment procedure.

"I am satisfied there are unusual circumstances in the present case," Scaravelli said.

"I do not doubt that changing one’s gender identity is a life-altering and difficult process," the judge added.

The Crown had asked for a month in jail. Changes to the law meant a conditional sentence is no longer an option in such cases.

Transgender offender avoids jail time after marijuana bust - Nova Scotia - CBC News

Oh, you were gonna pay for some operation. Oh, I see. Cool. Free to go.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Oh, you were gonna pay for some operation. Oh, I see. Cool. Free to go
No, not quite.

He also suffers from Crohn's disease and said he relies on marijuana to ease pain related to the condition.

Ontario Court of Appeal V Parker 07/31/2000 docket #C28732

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
"""After sentencing him to a year's probation and a $1,000 fine, Justice Nick Scaravelli said: “The difficulty in the present case is balancing the need for a strong statement of denunciation and general deterrence and addressing the offender's unique personal circumstances."

Wow, letting a dangerous felon like that out on the street.************

Justice is damned if they do and don't.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
"I am satisfied there are unusual circumstances in the present case," Scaravelli said.

As far as I'm concerned it pretty useless to take up valuable prison real estate for something like this. So whatever circumstances the judge needs to prevent that, who cares? Prison should be reserved for those who do real harm to society.

Pot hasn't gone away, it will never go away, at least not by restricting, banning, and/or imprisoning. Just like alcohol didn't disappear during prohibition. It's time to rethink how society deals with this, getting rid of drugs in society is a lofty (if perhaps ultimately futile) goal but what's been tried is not working. Time to think outside the box and quit clogging up the justice system with it.