You are still fired, but

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Uh huh. So is he apologizing because what he did was wrong. (Which it is, you don't fire someone in front of other employees. Talk about tactless!)

Lenz’s ouster became public fodder after an audio recording of the meeting leaked out and appeared on the website of media blogger Jim Romenesko.
Or is it because he 'got caught'?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Uh huh. So is he apologizing because what he did was wrong. (Which it is, you don't fire someone in front of other employees. Talk about tactless!)

Or is it because he 'got caught'?

Set a fine example. He stated the employee was warned. How, in writing, do they have a posted policy.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
“Abel, put that camera down right now! Abel, you’re fired. Out!” Armstrong said. After a pause, he continued talking about Patch.

“Internal meetings of a confidential nature should not be filmed or recorded so that our employees can feel free to discuss all topics openly. Abel had been told previously not to record a confidential meeting, and he repeated that behaviour on Friday, which drove my actions.”

I don't think what he did was legal... lawyer up Abel, you are about to become rich

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Set a fine example. He stated the employee was warned. How, in writing, do they have a posted policy.

Warning or not, he should have been taken out of the room and fired in a one on one setting. Personally I'm making no judgement on whether his firing was legitimate, but the method was dead wrong. In my opinion.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I don't think that there is anything in the employee (protection) legislation that would dictate that someone can't be fired in front of others

I would agree. But I would bet it is in the HR manual for managers that have to lay off- dismiss an employee.
Wonder who signed off on that puppy.
Oh he did.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
He should not have been fired in front of everyone but that won't be a problem in court...it will be the grounds he was fired on.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I don't think that there is anything in the employee (protection) legislation that would dictate that someone can't be fired in front of others

Even if there isn't, it's still tactless. Things that aren't in black and white legislation can still be deserving of an apology, certain behaviours are expected of people in certain positions, for example. So when the behaviour doesn't conform to standards, an apology is in order. That's just my opinion.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Even if there isn't, it's still tactless. Things that aren't in black and white legislation can still be deserving of an apology, certain behaviours are expected of people in certain positions, for example. So when the behaviour doesn't conform to standards, an apology is in order. That's just my opinion.

The correct opinion. He was on a rant and lost it.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

You bet that it's tactless and the sure sign of a person that was not born to lead/manage others. Chances are that there is a lot of resentment (and possibly fear) among the other employees.... Lots of folks probably looking at opportunities to cross the street after that episode.

Ironocally, if that happens, this manager will likely be given the boot (hopefully in front of many)

Of course I am. I'm not saying whether or not he should have been fired at all. But I am judging the behaviour of the employer when he fired the guy.

I was trolling ya honey...

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
You bet that it's tactless and the sure sign of a person that was not born to lead/manage others. Chances are that there is a lot of resentment (and possibly fear) among the other employees.... Lots of folks probably looking at opportunities to cross the street after that episode.

Ironocally, if that happens, this manager will likely be given the boot (hopefully in front of many)

From the link.
AOL Inc. Chief Executive Officer Tim Armstrong, making a rare public apology, sent a memo to employees saying he was sorry for the way he fired a staff member at a meeting last week.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007

he's the chief executive he isn't going anywhere even though they will be sued

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
lol.... hubby was sitting in a manager's meeting once, when the head honcho said "And we're eliminating the manager's position in (name of town we were in)". Hubby said his face just dropped, and his heart skipped a beat, he snapped around to look at the boss, who goes "Oh, that reminds me, we need to talk later M."

Needless to say it all turned out okay, but sheesh, worst way to find out you've been promoted, EVER.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

The other thing I question is the sincerity of the apology, seeing as how it came after it became fodder for public speculation and comment on that guy's blog. It's sad really, there are so many times a very simple "I'm sorry, I was wrong/inappropriate/got carried away" would do wonders.

Okay baby. ;)

Lol.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
The other thing I question is the sincerity of the apology, seeing as how it came after it became fodder for public speculation and comment on that guy's blog. It's sad really, there are so many times a very simple "I'm sorry, I was wrong/inappropriate/got carried away" would do wonders.

No sincerity- Trying to mitigate the PR disaster.