Ex-Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. gets 30 months in prison

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Orange is the new black for Jesse Jackson, Jr

WASHINGTON — Former Illinois congressman Jesse Jackson Jr. was sentenced to two and a half years in prison Wednesday for using $750,000 in campaign money for living expenses, trips and luxury goods — a stunning fall for a once-rising political star from a famous family.

Jackson and his wife, Sandi Jackson, treated campaign funds as a "personal piggy bank," U.S. District Judge Amy Berman Jackson told the Democrat, who represented Chicago's South Side for 17 years. "There may be gray areas in campaign finance. This case did not come near to those areas.

"As a public official, you are supposed to live up to a higher standard of ethics and integrity," said the judge, who is no relation to the former congressman.
Sandi Jackson received a one-year prison term.

that's a shame

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Orange is the new black for Jesse Jackson, Jr

WASHINGTON — Former Illinois congressman Jesse Jackson Jr. was sentenced to two and a half years in prison Wednesday for using $750,000 in campaign money for living expenses, trips and luxury goods — a stunning fall for a once-rising political star from a famous family.

Jackson and his wife, Sandi Jackson, treated campaign funds as a "personal piggy bank," U.S. District Judge Amy Berman Jackson told the Democrat, who represented Chicago's South Side for 17 years. "There may be gray areas in campaign finance. This case did not come near to those areas.

"As a public official, you are supposed to live up to a higher standard of ethics and integrity," said the judge, who is no relation to the former congressman.
Sandi Jackson received a one-year prison term.

that's a shame

Sentencing guidelines in this case should have been given the boot.
Misusing a position of trust.
Nothing abut failure to pay the loot back.
5 years min for him.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Bipolar to blame eh.

More like both devils made him do it.

Anyway, enjoy prison. :lol:

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Bipolar to blame eh.

More like both devils made him do it.

Anyway, enjoy prison. :lol:
In court, Jackson's lawyers sought to tie his crimes to his mental condition. Weingarten called him a "good person" whose judgment was impaired by his bipolar disorder. He asked for leniency. "There are not widows and orphans surrounding the courthouse wanting his head."
Well they should be. While I do have sympathy for the bi-polar defense, one is either mentally competent to hold a position, or one is not. If one is competent enough to hold the position then one must face the consequences of illegal behavior committed while in said position.

Weingarten noted that lawmakers in the 1980s were permitted to use campaign money for personal expenses. "If you took a microscope and looked at all these campaign (reports), you would find a lot of gray," he said.

The 80's? Seriously? So would that mean he saw his dad ripping the public off and that makes it okey dokey? They grew up with wealth and a sense of entitlemente that overrides the sense of right and wrong? She bought furs, he bought rolex watches...because that is what they think would be appropriate to that type of lifestyle?

No!

It's time to clean house for them and us up here.

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
Sal, when I take over this planet I'm making you head of the secret police.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Well they should be. While I do have sympathy for the bi-polar defense, one is either mentally competent to hold a position, or one is not. If one is competent enough to hold the position then one must face the consequences of illegal behavior committed while in said position.
Yep, he did the crime, he does the time. His lawyer is just doing what lawyers are supposed to do: get him off if possible, limit the damage if you can't get him off.

The 80's? Seriously? So would that mean he saw his dad ripping the public off and that makes it okey dokey? They grew up with wealth and a sense of entitlemente that overrides the sense of right and wrong? She bought furs, he bought rolex watches...because that is what they think would be appropriate to that type of lifestyle?

No!

It's time to clean house for them and us up here.
Umm. . . Rev. Jackson was never a lawmaker. Private citizens are allowed to rip off the public. Just ask any director or officer of a bank.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Yep, he did the crime, he does the time. His lawyer is just doing what lawyers are supposed to do: get him off if possible, limit the damage if you can't get him off.
I wish we would could catch that concept up here

Umm. . . Rev. Jackson was never a lawmaker. Private citizens are allowed to rip off the public. Just ask any director or officer of a bank.
I remember when he first appeared on the scene, I loved him, I thought he was going to change the world, I was so hopeful, then I guess he got jaded and now he usually disappoints me when he opens his mouth.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I wish we would could catch that concept up here

I remember when he first appeared on the scene, I loved him, I thought he was going to change the world, I was so hopeful, then I guess he got jaded and now he usually disappoints me when he opens his mouth.
He did change the world.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
do you mean he did a lot of good?
I think so. When Rev. Jackson got started, segregation and Jim Crow were the law of the land. In many states, interracial marriage was illegal. Discrimination in housing, education, employment, and contracts was legal and mandatory.

It was so bad that the U.S. Air Force had a regulation stating that its men who were in interracial marriages were permitted to refuse assignments to air force bases in the southern states (and trust me, the USAF generally doesn't allow people to refuse assignments).

Now that the official, legal, and mandatory discrimination is gone, we are left with the subtler and more arguable forms and effects of racism, and there is a lot of debate about how best to deal with them. Rev. Jackson has made a career of finding and exposing, and some would say overemphasising, those remaining forms and effects of racism.

You're free to disagree with him. Hell, I disagree with him most of the time for the last 20, 25 years or so. Doesn't change the fact that he was in the battle back when it was quite literally deadly.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I think so. When Rev. Jackson got started, segregation and Jim Crow were the law of the land. In many states, interracial marriage was illegal. Discrimination in housing, education, employment, and contracts was legal and mandatory.

It was so bad that the U.S. Air Force had a regulation stating that its men who were in interracial marriages were permitted to refuse assignments to air force bases in the southern states (and trust me, the USAF generally doesn't allow people to refuse assignments).

Now that the official, legal, and mandatory discrimination is gone, we are left with the subtler and more arguable forms and effects of racism, and there is a lot of debate about how best to deal with them. Rev. Jackson has made a career of finding and exposing, and some would say overemphasising, those remaining forms and effects of racism.

You're free to disagree with him. Hell, I disagree with him most of the time for the last 20, 25 years or so. Doesn't change the fact that he was in the battle back when it was quite literally deadly.

to be truthful I lost track of him and I don't know all the good that he did, I know things were so so, bad back then, he came on the scene fresh, bright and motivated and he was charismatic and charming...so I am willing to give him his due...I just think he should keep aiming at harmony like how he started out...now I often find him an instigator of disharmony and I don't think that accomplishes anything...maybe it does I don't know...I am a white woman living in a white world...I have not been exposed to that level of demoralizing poverty and need and fear and frustration...and neither have my friends regardless of colour or ethnicity.

I think a lot of denial exists within your society about this piece. Because of my interest in human nature and psychology, I find this is easily blanketed and in some ways more heinous because it makes it harder to fight, easier to deny.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
to be truthful I lost track of him and I don't know all the good that he did, I know things were so so, bad back then, he came on the scene fresh, bright and motivated and he was charismatic and charming...so I am willing to give him his due...I just think he should keep aiming at harmony like how he started out...now I often find him an instigator of disharmony and I don't think that accomplishes anything...maybe it does I don't know...I am a white woman living in a white world...I have not been exposed to that level of demoralizing poverty and need and fear and frustration...and neither have my friends regardless of colour or ethnicity.
Jackson was with Martin. What he did back in the day was critical

I think a lot of denial exists within your society about this piece. Because of my interest in human nature and psychology, I find this is easily blanketed and in some ways more heinous because it makes it harder to fight, easier to deny.
You betcha.

Some folks think I'm a screaming liberal because I recognise the problem. Unfortunately, the level of political discourse down here is such that people assume that recognising the problem necessarily means also wanting massive government programs to deal with it. Other folks think I'm a raging conservative because of my proposed solution, which is to apply absolute legal equality, and nothing more. The remaining racism and effects of past racism are sufficiently subtle that they can only be addressed through social, as opposed to legal or governmental, change.

Highball

Council Member
Jan 28, 2010
Who will pay for the support of his illegitimate kiid's while he is on ice? He doesn't have the Rainbow Coalition backup dad depends on.