River otter attacks woman in B.C. lake

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
River otter attacks woman in B.C. lake

A B.C. woman says she was viciously attacked by a river otter while swimming in one of the province’s lakes earlier this month.

Theresa Weltzin was on a family vacation at a cabin on Greeny Lake, in B.C.’s South Cariboo region, more than 200 kilometres northwest of Kamloops, when she encountered the otter.

During a swim on Aug.1, Weltzin made it halfway across the lake when she spotted an otter coming her way.

"I stop and watch and wonder, and then it goes below surface probably about 10 feet away, and then it bites me and I scream," Weltzin told CBC News.

"I think the first bite was down here on my left calf, because it's the biggest chunk."

The otter bit Weltzin a total of nine times.

"I'm doing water polo backstroke. I'm screaming. I'm calling for my brother-in-law and calling for help and, it keeps biting me," she said.

Family members kayaked to her rescue.

"Whatever they did with the paddles, I didn't look anymore," Weltzin said. "I just grabbed onto the kayak and hoped that the otter would stop."

Weltzin said her brother-in-law, a firefighter, treated her wounds as best he could before rushing her to a doctor in the nearby district of 100 Mile House.

River otters, which can weigh as much as 14 kilograms, can be found in waterways and along the B.C. coast. They are active both in the water and on land, establishing burrows on riverbanks and on shorelines.

The appearance and behaviour of river otters differ greatly from sea otters, which are a popular attraction at the Vancouver Aquarium in Stanley Park. Sea otters are only found in the ocean and are rarely seen on land.

Locals living near Greeny Lake said they’ve never heard of a river otter attacking a swimmer before, adding that most otters swim alongside them.

But there have been river otter attacks reported in other places. Earlier this year, a 96-year-old man was attacked by a river otter in Venice, Fla. And last month, a woman in Montana suffered injuries when a river otter attacked her while she was tubing in a river.

"There was one fleeting thought like, 'Oh my God, you know, am I going down?' kind of thing,’” said Weltzin, who credits her lifeguard training and water polo days for the stamina to keep on swimming during the attack.

source: River otter attacks woman in B.C. lake - British Columbia - CBC News

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
lol, all species have their psychopaths it would seem

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Otters are fairly territorial and if they have pups, they can be dangerous. I was attacked years ago on a small lake east of Quesnel. I was in a kids inflatable boat paddling around in the middle of the lake. Thing came flying at me, half out of the water, screaming bloody murder. Luckily I scared it off by slapping the water with the oars. Kinda freaked me out. I was too far from shore to swim back if it had of bitten into the boat.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
There was a fairly recent beaver incident like this (within the last two years or so), that was a rabies issue.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
They can be rather grumpy li'l buggers - no matter how cute they look. All one summer stealing kibble was a game between the otters and the dog - until that day the dog slipped into the beaver pond. There, the otter had a big advantage

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Meh, we have plenty of them around here. I think 2 have a den in our creek somewhere.
Was swimming in OK Lake one time and damned good thing I had flippers on. Think I was like 6. Anyway I switched swimming positions onto my back and spotted a couple mink or something just a motorin toward me. Flank speed, boy, cavitation and all and they kept up till they got bored or something.
No way a human can outswim an otter. Best bet grab it and hold on till you reach land and can pitch it somewhere. Then run.