US judge changes baby's name from Messiah to Martin

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
But what about all the Hispanics who name their children Jesus?

Judge orders baby's name be changed from 'Messiah'

A Newport mother is appealing a court's decision after a judge ordered her son's name be changed from "Messiah."

Jaleesa Martin and the father of Messiah could not agree on a last name, which is how they ended up at a child support hearing in Cocke County Chancery Court on Thursday.

That is when the first name came into question.

Child Support Magistrate Lu Ann Ballew serves the 4th Judicial District of Tenn. including the following counties: Cocke, Grainger, Jefferson, and Sevier.

The name change was part of Judge Ballew's case; however, the parents did not think the first name would be changed.

Judge Ballew ordered the 7-month-old's name be "Martin DeShawn McCullough." It includes both parent's last names but leaves out Messiah.

"The word Messiah is a title and it's a title that has only been earned by one person and that one person is Jesus Christ," Judge Ballew said.

Martin responded saying, "I was shocked. I never intended on naming my son Messiah because it means God and I didn't think a judge could make me change my baby's name because of her religious beliefs."

According to Judge Ballew, it is the first time she has ordered a first name change. She said the decision is best for the child, especially while growing up in a county with a large Christian population.

"It could put him at odds with a lot of people and at this point he has had no choice in what his name is," Judge Ballew said.

Martin's two older children are named Micah and Mason. She liked how the name Messiah sounded alongside the other two siblings and thought it was unique.

"Everybody believes what they want so I think I should be able to name my child what I want to name him, not someone else," Martin said.

Judge Ballew said the parents will have to change the name on the birth certificate.

see Judge here

Tennessee Judge orders baby's name be changed from 'Messiah' | wbir.com

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Re: But what about all the Hispanics who name their children Jesus?

this kid has a great future eh?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC

This decision is a horrendous and blasphemous insult to St. Martin of Tours!

Omicron

Privy Council
Jul 28, 2010
Vancouver
A judge in the US has ordered a baby's first name to be changed from Messiah to Martin, arguing that the only true messiah is Jesus Christ, reports say.

The parents of seven-month old Messiah DeShawn Martin had gone to court in Tennessee over his last name.
But Child Support Magistrate Lu Ann Ballew ordered the first name changed too, local broadcaster WBIR-TV said.

Last year more than 700 babies were named Messiah in the US, according to the Social Security Administration.

Christianity sees Jesus as the Messiah, while Judaism uses the term to mean an anticipated saviour of the Jews.

Dictionary definitions say the word can mean anyone seen as a saviour or a liberator.

'No choice'

The judge in Cocke County said the name Messiah could cause the boy difficulties if he grew up in a predominantly Christian area.
"It could put him at odds with a lot of people and at this point he has had no choice in what his name is," Judge Ballew said.
"Think about whether you could yell it across a supermarket."

She was able to make the order because the parents were already in a child support hearing in a dispute over what their son's last name should be.

Instead the judge ruled that the baby was to be named Martin DeShawn McCullough, which includes both parents' last name.
"The word Messiah is a title and it's a title that has only been earned by one person and that one person is Jesus Christ," she said.

The baby's mother, Jaleesa Martin, told WBIR she would appeal against the judge's order.

"I didn't think a judge could change my baby's name because of her religious beliefs," she said.

She said she chose the name not because of its religious connotations, but because she liked how it sounded with her two other children's names, Micah and Mason.

Messiah came in at number 387 in the list of the most popular of baby names in the US in 2012, up from 633 in 2011.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
The Jews will likely disagree with this judge about Jesus. This judge would be working full time changing names if he lived in Mexico.

I didnt get a choice in what my name was either. I imagine most if not all dont get a say in what their name is. The judge may be able to change the kids name but he cant change the name the parents and other friends and relatives chose to use when calling him. I hope the parents win the appeal.

Last edited:

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
A judge in the US has ordered a baby's first name to be changed from Messiah to Martin, arguing that the only true messiah is Jesus Christ, reports say.

The parents of seven-month old Messiah DeShawn Martin had gone to court in Tennessee over his last name.
But Child Support Magistrate Lu Ann Ballew ordered the first name changed too, local broadcaster WBIR-TV said.

Last year more than 700 babies were named Messiah in the US, according to the Social Security Administration.

Christianity sees Jesus as the Messiah, while Judaism uses the term to mean an anticipated saviour of the Jews.

Dictionary definitions say the word can mean anyone seen as a saviour or a liberator.

'No choice'

The judge in Cocke County said the name Messiah could cause the boy difficulties if he grew up in a predominantly Christian area.
"Think about whether you could yell it across a supermarket."

She was able to make the order because the parents were already in a child support hearing in a dispute over what their son's last name should be.

Instead the judge ruled that the baby was to be named Martin DeShawn McCullough, which includes both parents' last name.
"The word Messiah is a title and it's a title that has only been earned by one person and that one person is Jesus Christ," she said.

The baby's mother, Jaleesa Martin, told WBIR she would appeal against the judge's order.

"I didn't think a judge could change my baby's name because of her religious beliefs," she said.

She said she chose the name not because of its religious connotations, but because she liked how it sounded with her two other children's names, Micah and Mason.

Messiah came in at number 387 in the list of the most popular of baby names in the US in 2012, up from 633 in 2011.
So much for the separation of religion and gov't in TN.

The Jews will likely disagree with this judge about Jesus. This judge would be working full time changing names if he were lived in Mexico.

I didnt get a choice in what my name was either. I imagine most if not all dont get a say in what their name is. The judge may be able to change the kids name but he cant change the name the parents and other friends and relatives chose to use when calling him. I hope the parents win the appeal.
Funny you should say that. I mean WLDB? Was kinda hoping it was an acronym. :D

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012

Popularity of the male name Messiah and Year registered with Social Security Administration’s annual list of popular baby names

2012 -387
2011 -633
2010 -650
2009 -665
2008 -703
2007 -720
2006 -800
2005 -904

We all remember a judge refusing to allow parents to name children "Adolf Hitler" and "Eva Braun".

Certainly, while in some circles (presumably the ones the parents, who were Neo-Nazi's, associated with), those might be acceptable names, while in others, those kinds of names would expose a child, growing up, to big issues/problems. .............

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Nothing wrong with the name Adolph. It means noble, majestic wolf in Old Germanic. Boy did Hitler's parents ever get it wrong.
Hey, you edited. That ain't fair. lol

I didn't want to double post as it was in the earlier post for this story...

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Lots of countries do this. Check out New Zealand's list of banned names:

New Zealand's List of Banned Baby Names Gets Updated | TIME.com

Indeed, Canada included. I think Quebec does it the most often. Or so Ive heard on CBC.

Hmm some of those names are odd. Wonder if they can change a few letters to get around. For example instead of naming a kid "King," they could name him "Qing."

I think they should be able to name them whatever they want. If the kid doesnt like it he or she can change it. Just as any of us can change our names if we want to.

Nothing wrong with the name Adolph.

I dont think its banned anywhere. I had a prof with the name Adolf. Not sure if he was born here or not though. He was definitely born after Hitler died.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Personal opinions have no place in a courtroom, a Judge should base his/her decision on "legal" opinion!

Legal rules have long stated that you can't name your child a 'title' I thought.

Prince, princess, queen, king, messiah.

And no, 'Jesus' doesn't count, it's a name, not a title.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
There's another thread from this morning on this needing a merge.

Legal rules have long stated that you can't name your child a 'title' I thought.

Isn't Michael Jackson's kid Prince?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

Hmmm.... I believe there are many people that name their child "Prince". I know of a young man in the states who's name is Prince.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa

If so the Judge should have cited that rule rather than his belief that Jesus Christ is the one and only person who deserves to be called the Messiah.

I did have a great aunt who was named "Queen." I always thought it was an odd name. They must have had different rules when she was born. Would have been the late 20s or early 30s.

Isn't Michael Jackson's kid Prince?

Yep, which is very plain and normal compared to what Frank Zappa named his daughter: Moon Unit.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
If so the Judge should have cited that rule rather than his belief that Jesus Christ is the one and only person who deserves to be called the Messiah.

She stated that it was a title. The fact that she added on her opinion doesn't change the fact that she stated there was law supporting said opinion.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007

I did have a great aunt who was named "Queen." I always thought it was an odd name. They must have had different rules when she was born. Would have been the late 20s or early 30s.

Yep, which is very plain and normal compared to what Frank Zappa named his daughter: Moon Unit.
Moon Unit?...that's worse than North West