Black chick denied bling.........

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
I had to look for this story because it doesn't appear on my regular 'headline aggregate' . I know of it because when I went to bed last night she had the TV on and the story was running.

I have never watched her show but I was of the impression she had compassion for the down and outs, which leads me to ask why would she want (definitely not need) a $35,000.00 purse regardless of whether she can afford it or not.

Couldn't she give them money to something more positive?

Winfrey, one of the world's richest women, claimed an assistant refused to serve her in an upmarket handbag shop.

She was apparently told one of the bags on display was "too expensive" for her.

Shop owner Trudie Gotz told the BBC that Winfrey was "absolutely allowed" to look at the $35,000 (£22,500) bag, which was kept behind a screen.

"My salesperson wanted to give her the handbag in her hand. But she didn't want to take the bag," claimed Gotz.

She said her assistant had worked in the Trois Pommes store "for a few years and takes care of the most spoilt customers from all over the world", adding, "she is really a correct sales person".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23633768

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
That happens to anyone who looks poor and is shopping for really expensive things. 32 000$ for a hand bag is not something everyone can buy.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Who needs such an over priced item?

No one does.............

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
> implying that what happens to this oprah person is important

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
She made her money legally........she can buy whatever she wants!

That's true of course, she can, as can anyone else. But I will admit to a certain amount of disgust for any truly ostentatious purchase, I don't care who's making it. Personally I don't think I could, in good conscience, spend tens of thousands on a handbag....regardless if I also donated a good deal of money to worthy causes or not (as I do believe she does). I don't know, at some point I think it just becomes grotesque.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Let me win a lottery, I would buy all kinds of crap overpriced or not
If you earned it or came across it by lotto you can spend money on
whatever you like. It is not a sin or disgusting or anything else.
Now we are going to tell people how much they can spend and what
they can buy. Who is the determining factor on what we can and can
not afford.
This woman has earned the money and helped all kinds of people she
is entitled to buy whatever she wants and can afford and its not our
business.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
to make matters worse, she bought Steadman a $35 000 wallet before wanting to buy the $35 000 purse. ;)

in defense of the assistant, this is what the assistant saw:

that would be enough to scare any assistant. ;)

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Let me win a lottery, I would buy all kinds of crap overpriced or not
If you earned it or came across it by lotto you can spend money on
whatever you like. It is not a sin or disgusting or anything else.
Now we are going to tell people how much they can spend and what
they can buy. Who is the determining factor on what we can and can
not afford.
This woman has earned the money and helped all kinds of people she
is entitled to buy whatever she wants and can afford and its not our
business.

No! It's her duty, and that of every other person, to contribute all she can, and take no more than anyone else!

Mao jackets for all!

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I think she absolutely did experience prejudice I don't think Winfrey just "felt" that way. She likely had no makeup on and no entourage with her. She wants an expensive purse she has every right to buy an expensive purse.

$35,000. is relative...no different to us spending $35.00 on a purse. It's not a lot of money from her billions and she gives back more percentage wise than most. I don't even particularly like her but what happened to her is wrong.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
She made her money legally........she can buy whatever she wants!

Well of course she can.

Besides the point that I don't understand how a purse could be worth that kind of money, in my original comment I offered that I was under the impression she was/is popular (and wealthy) because of her compassion for the down and outs, which would indeed make such an ostentatious purchase counterintuitive to who or what I thought she was.

And, her purchasing such an expensive item wasn't the original story but a by line by me of the racism story......

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
> implying that what happens to this oprah person is important
It is important because it speaks to principle

Of course.....it probably happens to thousands every day and we never hear about it......
I wish!!! :)

Well of course she can.
Agreed

Besides the point that I don't understand how a purse could be worth that kind of money, in my original comment I offered that I was under the impression she was/is popular (and wealthy) because of her compassion for the down and outs, which would indeed make such an ostentatious purchase counterintuitive to who or what I thought she was.
And I am saying no it does not.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
From what I read in the paper, the Oprah show was never shown in their country so the sales clerk didn't know who she was and tried to steer her to a more "affordable" purchase - another purse that was similar but cheaper. Is that being racist? I dunno....

JMO

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
From what I read in the paper, the Oprah show was never shown in their country so the sales clerk didn't know who she was and tried to steer her to a more "affordable" purchase - another purse that was similar but cheaper. Is that being racist? I dunno....

JMO
It is never a sales associate's job to tell a client what they can or can not "afford" tv show or not. Perhaps it was not her skin colour that made the associate conclude affordability, but something did, it was poorly handled.

I do like the attitude of the store owner...she defends her staff member.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I get the whole principle of the situation piece and I don't disagree. It's not right to deny anyone service, of any kind, based upon skin colour, religious affiliation, sexual orientation, etc,etc.

Having said that however, the part that's difficult for me to swallow is where there is real victimization in being denied the ability to purchase a handbag that costs as much as some people earn in an entire year. That's not just simply a first world problem, it's an "elite of the elite" first world problem. And, again while I get (and agree with) the whole principle piece, to compare that 'suffering' with the suffering endured when someone is denied employment or housing due to discrimination just doesn't sit right with me. I think it's kind of demeaning to those who suffer discrimination over things like employment or housing (and don't have the world wide press writing about it) to compare the two.

As far as the cost of the bag itself, I do find it disgusting that handbags are even sold that cost enough to feed, clothe and house someone fairly decently in a first world nation, let alone what that could do for who knows how many people in a third world nation.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
As far as the cost of the bag itself, I do find it disgusting that handbags are even sold that cost enough to feed, clothe and house someone fairly decently in a first world nation, let alone what that could do for who knows how many people in a third world nation.

This bears an interesting point, the bag itself is valued at 35k - meaning that the store probably has a policy (or practice) that they don't start pitching it out to every person that comes along and asks to handle it

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
This bears an interesting point, the bag itself is valued at 35k - meaning that the store probably has a policy (or practice) that they don't start pitching it out to every person that comes along and asks to handle it

Well, basically I find it somewhat offensive that a 35K handbag even exists in the first place but somewhat in furtherance of what you are saying...

She said her assistant had worked in the Trois Pommes store "for a few years and takes care of the most spoilt customers from all over the world", adding, "she is really a correct sales person".
...kind of says a lot about the caliber of 'suffering' that goes on when someone doesn't get to handle the merchandise doesn't it?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Well, basically I find it somewhat offensive that a 35K handbag even exists in the first place but somewhat in furtherance of what you are saying...

I read an article about an Arab Sheik that bought a new Rolls Royce (or Bentley or some such expensive car) and had it factory modified to accommodate a larger space in the back seat area to allow for an attendant to be able to wash his feet whilst travelling.

The factory mods cost more that the original ticket price of the car.

...kind of says a lot about the caliber of 'suffering' that goes on when someone doesn't get to handle the merchandise doesn't it?

Oprah always had the option to pull out the platinum card and buy the damn thing (just to 'show' the clerk)... In fact, I would have imagined that the potential purchaser would have bought the damn thing on spec anyways without needing to sully their hands by actually touching the bag