GOP leader threatens to cut CNN, NBC from primary debates over Clinton specials

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
GOP leader threatens to cut CNN, NBC from primary debates over Clinton specials

The head of the Republican Party threatened Monday to cut out CNN and NBC from the GOP presidential primary debates if the networks do not shelve their plans to air lengthy features on Hillary Clinton -- who is widely expected to be a Democratic candidate in the 2016 election.

Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus accused both networks of trying to put "a thumb on the scales" of the 2016 race with programming he claimed would be tantamount to an "in-kind donation" to the Clinton campaign.

Last month, CNN Films announced it was producing a documentary on Clinton to premiere next year, first in theaters and then on CNN.

NBC also announced a four-hour "Hillary" miniseries starring Diane Lane, on the life of the former secretary of state and first lady.

Daily politics news delivered to your inbox: sign up for our newsletter

Priebus' statement on Monday marked the most aggressive challenge yet to those plans.

In a written statement, Priebus said if the networks don't meet his demands, he will seek a "binding vote" at the upcoming Aug. 14 RNC meeting declaring that the party "will neither partner with these networks in 2016 primary debates nor sanction primary debates they sponsor."

"It's appalling to know executives at major networks like NBC and CNN who have donated to Democrats and Hillary Clinton have taken it upon themselves to be Hillary Clinton's campaign operatives," he said.

In letters to the heads of both networks, Priebus said the Clinton specials would be unfair not only to Republicans, but to Democratic candidates who might also compete in the primary -- including Vice President Biden and Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley. (Read the letters here
and here
.)

"Secretary Clinton has been in the public eye for well over two decades, so you certainly cannot claim that a series about her political career is any sort of public service or informational docudrama on an unknown individual," Priebus wrote. "Quite the opposite is true: it would be most accurately described as an in-kind donation.

"Out of a sense of fairness and decency and in the interest of the political process and your company's reputation, I call on you to cancel this political ad masquerading as an unbiased production."

CNN defended its planned documentary in a written statement released Monday afternoon.

"This documentary will be a non-fiction look at the life of a former First Lady and Secretary of State. Instead of making premature decisions about a project that is in the very early stages of development and months from completion, we would encourage the members of the Republican National Committee to reserve judgment until they know more," the statement said. "Should they decide not to participate in debates on CNN, we would find it curious, as limiting their debate participation seems to be the ultimate disservice to voters."

The RNC letters were addressed to NBC Entertainment Chairman Robert Greenblatt and CNN Worldwide President Jeff Zucker.

Read more: GOP leader threatens to cut CNN, NBC from primary debates over Clinton specials | Fox News

//////////////////////////////////////

Good attack media bios.. about time.. hurt them in the pocket book..

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I watched this the other day and I couldn't believe it. The Republican Chairman
looked like a fool on CNN. I hope the network does not back down and we will
not have to hear the nonsense these people chatter about.
The problem is the mainstream Republican Party has been hijacked by the idiots
who cannot conduct a reasonable argument. The voices of the Mainstream
Republicans are drowned out in the wake of crazies.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
CNN certainly is not running scared and the Democrats are not running scared
The Republican Party painted themselves into a corner they actually fragmented
themselves. Democrats always let everyone into the tent then they play each
off against the other. Republicans give their crazies an open mike which in
politics is more deadly than a gun

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
CNN certainly is not running scared and the Democrats are not running scared
The Republican Party painted themselves into a corner they actually fragmented
themselves. Democrats always let everyone into the tent then they play each
off against the other. Republicans give their crazies an open mike which in
politics is more deadly than a gun
The Repubs are.
Civil war within the party is coming fast.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I watched this the other day and I couldn't believe it. The Republican Chairman
looked like a fool on CNN. I hope the network does not back down and we will
not have to hear the nonsense these people chatter about.
The problem is the mainstream Republican Party has been hijacked by the idiots
who cannot conduct a reasonable argument. The voices of the Mainstream
Republicans are drowned out in the wake of crazies.
I saw a democrat bumper sticker that said "We make mistakes and aren't perfect, but the other guys are plain nuts."

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
just more whining, something I have noticed the GOP has become very adept at.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The people that could have a chance to beat Ms Clinton won't get the
nod because the strange and weird people are now in charge of the
party.
Look at the mess, Palin and her ilk she is moving on but still connected
the Lindsy Gramn group of born again evangelical groups that are way
out there.
Then comes the Tea Bag crowd and the Crackers in the deep South.
Like vultures and locusts they descended on the party and chewed the
sane people to pieces. Romney never had a chance because his own
yet uncertified nut cases already destroyed him.
They decided to go into abortion, rape that produces a child is the will
of God and more. I remember them talking about putting gays in clinics
to cure them, that woman i can't remember her name she was running
for President
They all destroyed the party and presented all kinds of propaganda and
anti Obama stuff till they drown themselves out. Now they are on the
Benghazi thing. Inner city and immigrants, and lower middle class don't
give a fig about it and those are the people who will vote and put
Ms Clinton into office. Whether that should happen or not, remains to
be seen but unless something major happens it will.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Its either crazy or brilliant.

As a Democrat, at this point, I wouldn't want Hillary Clinton to get the nomination in '16 because she is still too polarizing a figure, as much as Obama in some ways. A lot of the US wasn't ready for a black president and less is ready for a woman, especially one who was tied to a president like Clinton, who some loved and almost as many hated. In the '08 primaries she did not poll well with independents, and those are the battle ground votes. And lets be honest, the Wiki-leaks thing probably damaged her more than any other potential candidate, if not any other politician period.

For the Republicans, calling this attention to her, and thrusting the spotlight on her is strengthening her bid, but is it sabotaging the race for the Dems as a whole? She may be one of the more "beatable" candidates because of what I mention above; it all depends on who else runs against her in the primary and who the Republicans bring forward.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
This limits the chances of trial error, grounds for appeals, and accelerates the conclusion of the case.

Really....roflmao.... did you read the article? Did you read what the family's want made public and what they are being to shut up about? It has NOTHING to do with the trial.