REAL Women- Thrown into the dustbin of Prejudice- Hate- And condones the death penalt

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
REAL Women- Thrown into the dustbin of Prejudice- Hate- And condones the death penalty for Homosexuals.

Canada’s socially conservative women’s organization just went too far | National Post

REAL Women issued a press release Wednesday, denouncing Baird for his “abuse of office” in awarding a $200,000 grant to “special interest groups” in Uganda and Kenya “to further his own perspective on homosexuality.” REAL Women also censures Baird for his behind-the-scenes attempts to dissuade Russia from imposing restrictive laws on foreign adoptions by gay couples and on “homosexual propaganda” (i.e., gay-rights activism).
Related

Ms. Landolt is out of line here. What Mr. Baird does or does not believe about homosexuality is irrelevant to his job, which is to represent official Canadian positions. Our government, and most Canadians, perceive homosexuals as fully equal citizens under the law, including the right to marriage and parenting. Whether or not many Canadians are uncomfortable with those positions (as indeed many are) is not pertinent to this situation. Mr. Baird is not demanding other countries enact gay-marriage laws. He is reacting to punitive measures for the “crime” of being homosexual.

It gets worse.

Ms. Landolt told a CBC interviewer that gay rights is not a human rights issue per se. She said, “according to the culture and the religion of, you know, Uganda, it’s not a human rights issue. You can’t imply that every country has to take our human rights issues and plunk it down in another country.” When pressed to comment on the fact that Uganda has contemplated the death penalty for practicing homosexuality, Ms. Landolt responded: “It may be unwise by Western standards, but who are we to interfere in a sovereign country?”

Landolt’s statement offends against Christianity, which teaches that one may hate the sin, but must not hate the sinner

“Unwise”? With this stunning moral gaffe, Ms. Landolt has compromised years of dignified advocacy work, and worse, set at an unbridgeable distance well-wishers and occasional collaborators such as myself. Does she realize the implications of what she has said? And from whose moral-relativist playbook she has drawn this leaf?

Her statement, first of all, offends against Christianity, which teaches that one may hate the sin, but must not hate the sinner. The death penalty for homosexuality — indeed any express form of persecution — is hatred of the sinner. It is not “unwise”; it is unjust, immoral.

More important for most Canadians, any persecution of gays offends against democracy and the ideal of individual rights, on which our freedoms are based. If Ms. Landolt believes it is justifiable to ignore the persecution of people whose beliefs or behaviours she is unsympathetic to, as long as it is happening elsewhere, she has lost the moral authority to criticize persecution in other countries of those whose beliefs and behaviours she *is* sympathetic to.

Thus, in one fell swoop, she has aligned herself with anti-Semites who shrugged as Jews were persecuted in Russia, self-loathing Westerners who do not criticize the persecution of Christians in the Middle East, and feminists who do not censure the disgusting practice of female genital mutilation because it is “their” cultural custom.

It is shocking that Ms. Landolt, a woman of high intelligence, does not see the bright line between her right to express her own private disapproval of homosexuality, and her obligation to respect and support the right of all individuals to live their lives according to their own desires, as long as they are not causing overt harm to others, without fear of judgment or curtailment of their liberties by the state.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
You know, I'm not offended that she thinks what she thinks or has said what she's said. Ignorant twits are always mouthing off and speaking for a "majority" (the infamous and royal 'we') when they clearly do not represent one. I do find highly questionable however that the group that espouses these sentiments has the audacity to call themselves REAL women. I have to call bull**** on that one.

Real women have integrity, strength of character and both give and are deserving of respect. This group embodies none of those traits.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Only the ones that are open about it.

Very true, we had a "closeted" gay young man on this board that had a VERY negative stance against homosexuals UNTIL he came out of that closet and admitted to himself his feelings. Amazingly his stance changed 180 degrees....lol

As for the "woman", and I use that term loosely, it's no big surprise.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Very true, we had a "closeted" gay young man on this board that had a VERY negative stance against homosexuals UNTIL he came out of that closet and admitted to himself his feelings. Amazingly his stance changed 180 degrees....lol

As for the "woman", and I use that term loosely, it's no big surprise.

For the life of me, I cannot understand how people can carry such hatred throughout their life.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
You know, I'm not offended that she thinks what she thinks or has said what she's said. Ignorant twits are always mouthing off and speaking for a "majority" (the infamous and royal 'we') when they clearly do not represent one. I do find highly questionable however that the group that espouses these sentiments has the audacity to call themselves REAL women. I have to call bull**** on that one.

Real women have integrity, strength of character and both give and are deserving of respect. This group embodies none of those traits.

Rock on, SLM. :cheers:

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
Yeah, gay rights is a weird one. I mean, I can't think of a morecomplete 180 in public policy. In high school if you were gay--heck if you perceived of any gayness--it was open season. There was no worse fate for a father than for a son to admit he was gay. Thugs hung outside of the few gay bars that there were and would beat the exiting patrons with impunity. Gays were simply barred from important positions. They were subject to astonsihly high levels of sexual assault from "straight" guys. It was still illegal in many US states (might still be illegal in some).

And now we have the Conservatives chastizing other countries.

I guess I should park my partisan hackery in my back pocket for a few minutes and just appreciate that the vast improvement in life for gays in Canada is a good thing.