CRTC Denies Sun News Mandatory Carriage

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
via sda

But "is considering a form of mandatory carriage applicable to all Canadian All- News Services, that would include Sun."

More detail;
The decision also lays out a proposal for a new category of licences for Canadian all-news channels. It's asking for public comment now on a proposed framework that includes forcing distributors to offer all Canadian national news services, Canadian news services in close proximity in their channel lineup, as well as offering national news services in a package and on a standalone basis.

So while Sun News Network will not get the mandatory carriage order it sought, the CRTC has put forward a streamlined process to rewrite the rules for Sun News and its competitors.
Meanwhile...

Sheila Gunn Reid @SheilaGunnReid APTN renewed. Race based programming and 80's american movies are culturally valuable. Conservative viewpoints aren't. What a load, #crtc.

Update: Paul Wells thinks there's more sunshine than darkness to be found in the decision.

CRTC Denies Sun News Mandatory Carriage - Small Dead Animals

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
Well, according to Sun News anything short of mandatory carriage would be a "death sentence." Of course, drama is their strong suit so that may not have been quite true.

I like Wells's analysis. I don't have much time for the CRTC, but "it is what it is" and if they are handing out these permissions, it makes sense to encourage Canadian news providers, and a "news neighbourhood" on the cable channel board kind of makes sense.

Bottom line for me is, as long as I'm not paying for them, I'm happy.