2012 broke sea level, sea ice records, climate report shows

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
2012 broke sea level, sea ice records, climate report shows

Last year was one of the 10 hottest on record, with sea levels at record highs, Arctic ice at historic lows and extreme weather in various corners of the globe signaling a "new normal," scientists in the 2012 State of the Climate report.

Meant to be a guide for policymakers, the report released Tuesday did not attribute the changes in climate to any one factor, but made note of continued increases in heat-trapping greenhouse gases including carbon dioxide, methane and nitrous oxide.

"Our planet as a whole is becoming a warmer place," said Kathryn Sullivan, acting administrator of the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. The report was edited by NOAA scientists and drew contributions from 384 scientists from 52 countries.

The report's data indicate "new normal" conditions that can inform planning decisions, instead of relying on models that "count on the future being statistically a lot like the past," Sullivan said at a news briefing.

Global surface temperatures — land and water — were the eighth or ninth warmest, depending on which data set was used, since recordkeeping began in the late 1800s, the report found.

• Why Arctic sea ice loss is a big deal for wildlife
  • Why it may be a 'time bomb' for the economy

However, in the decade leading up to 2012, global temperatures actually declined by .05 degree C, according to Thomas Karl, director of NOAA's National Climatic Data Center. Karl said the 50-year trend indicates global temperatures have consistently increased about .15 degree C per decade.

The recent decrease in temperatures has been noted by climate change skeptics who question the impact of human activities, such as the burning of fossil fuels that emit carbon dioxide, on climate.

However, other changes detailed in the report paint a more complex picture:

• Sea levels reached a record high, after a sharp decrease in 2011 possibly linked to the Pacific Ocean phenomenon La Nina, which can have a cooling effect;

• Arctic sea ice shrank to its smallest summer minimum since satellite records began 34 years ago, while Antarctic sea ice reached a record high;

• More than 97 percent of the ice sheet covering Greenland melted at least a bit in the summer of 2012, four times greater than the 1981-2010 average;

• Average sea surface temperatures rose, but not much, making 2012 among the 11th warmest years on record;

• Ocean heat was near record high levels in the upper half-mile (.8 km) of the water, and temperatures also increased in the deep ocean.

The State of the Climate report is being published as a supplement to the August Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society and is available online at BAMS State of the Climate | - 2012.

Source: 2012 broke sea level, sea ice records, climate report shows - Technology & Science - CBC News

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
How many times have we heard this claptrap?

One of the biggest benefits we received from the IPCC was that the models, data and 'policy suggestions' are faulty, skewed and agenda-driven.

This 'study' is nothing more than a propaganda opportunity for the UN and or BHO's need to stem Canada's economic drivers.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Last week, on BBC News, they were even trying to tell us that "climate change" is causing people to become more violent around the world.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
My heat pump cut in this AM. WTF it's Aug in SK?

Blackleaf, don't you live on an Island.. well when sea level rise20 feet and you are in desperate pair of water wings.. don't bother coming to Canada, were full.

We will be full of all the displaced Americans.
So where is all this rising oceans?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Blackleaf, don't you live on an Island.. well when sea level rise20 feet and you are in desperate pair of water wings.. don't bother coming to Canada, were full.

We will be full of all the displaced Americans.

Come on, don't be silly. I don't believe for one second that sea levels are rising. You're the fool, not me.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Luck you, Calgary has yet to have a Summer.. more rain that usual and a flooded city at the start of summer.. this keeps up, there will be a rain forest downtown Calgary.
What do you mean lucky me? My heat kicking in is a win? I'd pay for a day of 25C. Just one.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
At least some people are thinking towards the future.. not just naysayers, stroking the middle leg of Big Corporations that want to continue to profit off of people ignorance..

Architects Float Answers to Rising Sea Levels - YouTube

----------------------------------------------
www.EcoFriendlyHosting.com

There's something wrong with these people.

Talk about doommongering.

Do they honestly believe the Earth is about to become something like the movie Waterworld?

More fool them.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/...sea-levels-is-the-greatest-lie-ever-told.html

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Come on, don't be silly. I don't believe for one second that sea levels are rising. You're the fool, not me.

The sea level is rising. There is bare ground in the Canadian Arctic that had been covered in ice for centuries. Do you think the sea level will drop? Good luck with that.......:smile:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Aren't we supposed to be living on the moon and cruising around in flying cars by now? Boy o boy, those scientists in the 70's were sure dreamers. Dreamers in the same way the "Climate Scientists' are.

The sea level is rising. There is bare ground in the Canadian Arctic that had been covered in ice for centuries. Do you think the sea level will drop? Good luck with that.......:smile:
Can you prove it has risen, can you prove it will rise to devastating levels?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

That ground was uncovered too at one point... It's a fine line between global warming (insert evil music here) and The New Ice Age.

Funny how that works, eh?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
That ground was uncovered too at one point... It's a fine line between global warming (insert evil music here) and The New Ice Age.

Funny how that works, eh?

Let me type slower. Ground that had been covered in ice for centuries, is now bare ground. Gee, the ice must have melted. Could that be anything to do with climate change? Don't hurt yourself captain.