'Pink Headband' mom tossed in loony bin

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
A mommy blogger whose post 'What happened when my son wore a pink headband to Walmart' went viral on the Internet last weekend was Baker Acted after making suicidal comments to deputies Monday, according to a Lake County Sheriff's Office report obtained by the Orlando Sentinel.

On Aug. 2, the blog post, written under the byline Katie Vyktoriah, was published on the Huffington Post website and quickly went viral.

The Sheriff's Office report identified the blogger as Kathleen Carpenter. In the blog, the author wrote that her two-year-old son had worn a pink headband in a Central Florida Walmart store, and a man approached her and yelled out, "That's a boy?!" according to the post. Here's what the author wrote next:''

more

Mommy blogger who wrote 'What happened when my son wore a pink headband to Walmart' - OrlandoSentinel.com

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
she said she couldn't handle the stress caused by the response to her blog and told deputies she was thinking of killing herself...

I never read or found the phrase Loony Bin in any of the links.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
whooooooooooooosh, you lost me here? sorry I don't know what you are saying.

Commentary on the OP Title. If not in any of the links then the Poster used a rather ignorant term for mental illness.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Commentary on the OP Title. If not in any of the links then the Poster used a rather ignorant term for mental illness.
oh I missed the title and got all confussed... thanks

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I've seen what I tend to think of as 'emotional Munchausen syndrome' on so many occasions it makes me want to scream, and I have to say, this reads like it.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I've seen what I tend to think of as 'emotional Munchausen syndrome' on so many occasions it makes me want to scream, and I have to say, this reads like it.
yeah that's what I was thinking too...

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

So she was faking it for attention.
Is it becoming more common that many under 30-35 are still stuck in High School drama.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
So she was faking it for attention.
Is it becoming more common that many under 30-35 are still stuck in High School drama.
well it's more than that, with this particular syndrome they use the children as the target so they elicit sympathy from others due to in this case their child's persecution or in more escalated situations their child's illness which they maybe have "helped along" let's say.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Follow these Fark comments...it'll be all clear to you:

"She's a nut. She claimed she was the target of 4 kidnapping attempts, only one was (in her words) "successful", She was supposed to be a flight attendant on one of the planes that got hi-jacked on 9/11. She worked at a diner where the owners were named Flo and Jack. She ate an ice cream cone so erotically that it caused a man across a park to get a raging boner in front of his wife and kids. Oh, and that she was a compulsive liar as a teen, but now she's not".

FARK.com: (7877070) Mom writes that strange man berated her toddler son for wearing a pink headband. Post goes viral. Mom placed under involuntary psychiatric hold

Now for the proof:

GOMI * Get Off My Internets “Katie Vyktoriah” Story Being Questioned By Internets | Get Off My Internets

Google caches of blogs and such. She's nutz.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Follow these Fark comments...it'll be all clear to you:

"She's a nut. She claimed she was the target of 4 kidnapping attempts, only one was (in her words) "successful", She was supposed to be a flight attendant on one of the planes that got hi-jacked on 9/11. She worked at a diner where the owners were named Flo and Jack. She ate an ice cream cone so erotically that it caused a man across a park to get a raging boner in front of his wife and kids. Oh, and that she was a compulsive liar as a teen, but now she's not".

FARK.com: (7877070) Mom writes that strange man berated her toddler son for wearing a pink headband. Post goes viral. Mom placed under involuntary psychiatric hold

Now for the proof:

GOMI * Get Off My Internets “Katie Vyktoriah” Story Being Questioned By Internets | Get Off My Internets

Google caches of blogs and such. She's nutz.

Your word was good enough for me.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Someone got caught being mentally ill on the internet. Kudos to all the desk top warriors who've rooted her out and shown her to be what she is. I have to say though, it reads like more than a smidgen of backpatting themselves. "Oh, you were smarter than a mentally ill woman, good on ya!"

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Someone got caught being mentally ill on the internet. Kudos to all the desk top warriors who've rooted her out and shown her to be what she is. I have to say though, it reads like more than a smidgen of backpatting themselves. "Oh, you were smarter than a mentally ill woman, good on ya!"

You're not naive enough to not know that most anyone will and can get 'checked out' by anyone these days. If you list (want an audience) your Twitter, Blog, MySpace, Facebook or whatever...you can bet people will check you out if you make the news or perhaps become uppity and make some noises somewhere.

Point is, if you try to hush (aka hide) one of those accounts (civilian, politician, celebrity etc) after making that noise, that will only attract more attention. The Internet Archive is only one tool. Board Readers, googles and caches of user names, aliases, Facebook friends and other contact lists...on and on and on. There are a lot...a lot of people that read (your stuff) what we make public after we become a focus for some reason. We forget most of what we post over the years anyway and if we leave it up, quel dommage. If on a message board or forum, well...nothing disappears from the internet and everything must go somewhere.

You can bet the acreage that python-man is and has been sussed out already too.

Here's the GOMI piece for those interested:

The internet continues to burn with the story of the mommy blogger who alleges her son was accosted in a Davenport, FL area Wal-Mart. The story has spread to MSN, the Daily Mail, even Gawker after being posted by the mother herself on reddit and Huffington Post.

But almost from the start people expressed doubts about the veracity of the story. Internet searches revealed background claims by the mother that only confirmed for many that her previous statement that she used to be a “pathological liar” might apply to this tale as well.

Now removed from her site claims included having survived 3 failed kidnapping attempts and 1 successful one; claiming to be a stewardess for an airline and quitting just weeks before the flight crashed twice in three months; that she was “meant to be in NYC on 9/11, but I cancelled last minute”; that she missed catching a train that later crashed. When called on the truthiness of these claims, Katie responded:
And yes, much of that list was tongue in cheek to drag out some of my sillier stories into much bigger dramas than they were. When I wrote it more than a year ago, I drew people’s attention to it as a FUNNY (though accurate) representation of some of the stuff I’ve been through in my life.
Other claims include suffering from Celiac disease, diabetes, lactose intolerance, BPD, manic depression, ADHD, and apparently her breasts are so spectacular they cause bar fights.

Soon after the internet began questioning why, if it’s a big enough deal to craft what she no doubt hoped would be a viral blog post, she didn’t contact the store or the police Katie began claiming she was being harassed. Saying her milk supply was drying up and that she was receiving “threats of pizza deliveries to my house”, she closed down her site. 30 minutes later Katie claimed to be on the phone with the sheriff’s department “waiting for them to show up”. Despite a fatal car crash that closed down roads for two hours, according to her a deputy arrived, took a report, and left within an hour of her call.

Debate continues online with some people saying it doesn’t matter if the story is true because it started a discussion about gender issues, and others pointing out that if the story is untrue, using such issues for page views and attention is probably doing a disservice to the LGBT community.

I was unable to reach the Polk County Sheriff’s Department for confirmation or statement and Wal-Mart has yet to publicly respond to Katie’s claim. We await further developments and welcome any tips or information. We will update this post as information becomes available.

UPDATE: Apparently Katie has now been placed under psych observation. From the Orlando Sentinel:
According to the Lake County Sheriff’s Office report, the Polk County Sheriff’s Office became aware of Carpenter’s blog post detailing the alleged incident at a Four Corners-area Walmart.

Since Polk County was eventually mentioned specifically in the blog as being the responding agency, a Sheriff’s Office lieutenant requested a deputy go meet with Carpenter.

When the Polk deputy met with Carpenter — it’s not clear when that happened — she began making suicidal statements, the Lake County report said.
A deputy added that “possible video of the incident may be obtained and viewed to in fact verify that the incident actually did occur or if it was all made up.”

UPDATE: HuffPo has removed her post saying “We have also confirmed with investigators that they are in contact with the author.”