World's first lab-grown burger is cooked and eaten in London

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
BBC News
5th Aug 2013

Food critic Hanni Ruetzler who tasted the burger: "There is quite some intense taste; it's close to meat, but it's not that juicy"

The world's first lab-grown burger was cooked and eaten at a news conference in London today.

Scientists took cells from a cow and, at an institute in the Netherlands, turned them into strips of muscle that they combined to make a patty.

Researchers say the technology could be a sustainable way of meeting what they say is a growing demand for meat.

Critics say that eating less meat would be an easier way to tackle predicted food shortages.

The burger was cooked by chef Richard McGowan, from Cornwall, and tasted by food critics Hanni Ruetzler and Josh Schonwald.

Cells cultured in the lab develop into muscle, which can then be fashioned into a patty

Upon tasting the burger, Austrian food researcher Ms Ruetzler said: "I was expecting the texture to be more soft... there is quite some intense taste; it's close to meat, but it's not that juicy. The consistency is perfect, but I miss salt and pepper."

She added: "This is meat to me. It's not falling apart."

Food writer Mr Schonwald said: "The mouthfeel is like meat. I miss the fat, there's a leanness to it, but the general bite feels like a hamburger.

"What was consistently different was flavour."

Prof Mark Post, of Maastricht University, the scientist behind the burger, remarked: "It's a very good start."

Prof Mark Post, of Maastricht University, explains how he and his colleagues made the world's first lab-grown burger

The professor said the meat was made up of tens of billions of lab-grown cells. Asked when lab-grown burgers would reach the market, he said: "I think it will take a while. This is just to show we can do it."

Sergey Brin, co-founder of Google, has been revealed as the project's mystery backer.

Prof Tara Garnett, head of the Food Policy Research Network at Oxford University, said decision-makers needed to look beyond technological solutions.

"We have a situation where 1.4 billion people in the world are overweight and obese, and at the same time one billion people worldwide go to bed hungry," she said.

Mr Schonwald said he missed the fat, but that the "general bite" was authentic

"That's just weird and unacceptable. The solutions don't just lie with producing more food but changing the systems of supply and access and affordability, so not just more food but better food gets to the people who need it."

BBC News - World's first lab-grown burger is eaten in London

Christianna

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2012
I still wouldnt eat it but I hope it has a future.
Perhaps when it is mass produced it would provide protein for the starving masses all over the world? Not to mention it could end the problem of cow flatulence.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Perhaps when it is mass produced it would provide protein for the starving masses all over the world? Not to mention it could end the problem of cow flatulence.

Giving away food to solve world hunger? Ha. I dont see that happening. At least not enough to actually end the problem. Given how much food is wasted by the west in general we already have enough food to solve that problem, just not the will.

Im hoping it can solve the latter problem though. There are far too many cows. One of my friends said that that problem is easily solved, just kill them. Not that simple, far too many are bred and raised. About ten billion are slaughtered per year and are fairly easily replaced. If this stuff takes off it will hopefully lead to a significant reduction in how many are bred.

IF you don't eat it you will both insult it and defeat its meaning in life...
Arthur Dent..

Im not a meat eater regardless of where it comes from. Unless Im in a life or death situation I wont touch the stuff.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
If it's leaner, it's probably like bison. Bison isn't bad. We don't like eating a whole lot of fat around here, though, so lean is good. We'd try it as long as it isn't load with steroids, antibiotics, etc. like regular beef. I'm curious about the taste.
Just had a thought, all those additives are maybe what people taste in a burger and very little beef taste is left. For regular stuff off the hoof, we'll stick with wifey's cousin's range beef with no additives.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Wrong. After watching that vid, do you know what it tastes like?

How can one say how something tastes just by describing it as "intense". Odd. Most people compare everything to chicken.

Well the only way to find out how it "actually" tastes is to eat one.. but the lady gives a fair enough description for me, that I don't really need to eat one to find out for really tastes.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Well the only way to find out how it "actually" tastes is to eat one.. but the lady gives a fair enough description for me, that I don't really need to eat one to find out for really tastes.

I could have told them that for 1/2 the price.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
from their description it sounds like a veggie burger without the health benefits, if so, why bother?

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

And then what? Do you know how important starving masses are to the major industries? If it weren't for the starving masses they would be out of business. And then what?