The Musi-Cafe' Re-Opens in Lac Megantic

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
“I think the community will be happy to find a place to meet and to gather at night,” Mayor Collette Roy-Laroche said, a feeling shared by many who say the town has lost its heart.

The municipal government is helping connect the sewers and electrical system to the new bar, both heavy costs that Mr. Gagné, 35, could not afford for the project that will last only two months. Local businesses donated most of the equipment to build the bar, from the tent to the sound system.

“I was happy to help. This is a beautiful project,” said Roger Gaudreau, the manager of the local Maxi supermarket. “We need to bring some life back to this town. The tourists are coming, we’re full, but there isn’t anything to do.”

The 150-seat bar will be beside the Maxi parking lot and the town’s only shopping centre.

Every weekend night until the end of September, Quebec singers and bands will take the stage to give free concerts for the locals.

Marie-Mai, Louis-Jean Cormier and Vincent Vallières are among those who have signed up.

“These are big names in Quebec. This is my way of helping the people of Mégantic. I can’t give them money because I’m also in need, but I will give them all my time and energy,” Mr. Gagné said.

Reopening of Lac-Mégantic bar Musi-Café seen as sign of town’s resurgence - The Globe and Mail

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
That's good news. I hope that they can get past the heartache of family members dying without a trace.

Pipelines are a far better idea than rail tankers.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Lac-Megantic marks solemn third anniversary of train disaster

by The Canadian Press
Posted Jul 6, 2016 6:36 am PDT

Smoke rises from railway cars that were carrying crude oil after derailing in downtown Lac-Megantic, Que., on July 6, 2013. A judge has begun hearing arguments that could determine the fate of more than $431 million destined for victims and creditors of the 2013 train disaster in Lac-Megantic, Que. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Paul Chiasson

Today marks the third anniversary of the train disaster that killed 47 people in the Quebec community of Lac-Megantic.

A citizens group dedicated to rail safety is holding a news conference this morning in nearby Nantes.

Tragedy struck in the wee hours of July 6, 2013, when a train transporting crude oil derailed and exploded, causing 47 deaths and the destruction of much of Lac-Megantic’s downtown core.

The accident led to tougher government regulations with regard to the transport of oil by rail.

Three men, including the train’s conductor, are each facing 47 counts of criminal negligence causing death.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Lac-Megantic marks solemn third anniversary of train disaster

by The Canadian Press
Posted Jul 6, 2016 6:36 am PDT

Smoke rises from railway cars that were carrying crude oil after derailing in downtown Lac-Megantic, Que., on July 6, 2013. A judge has begun hearing arguments that could determine the fate of more than $431 million destined for victims and creditors of the 2013 train disaster in Lac-Megantic, Que. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Paul Chiasson

Today marks the third anniversary of the train disaster that killed 47 people in the Quebec community of Lac-Megantic.

A citizens group dedicated to rail safety is holding a news conference this morning in nearby Nantes.

Tragedy struck in the wee hours of July 6, 2013, when a train transporting crude oil derailed and exploded, causing 47 deaths and the destruction of much of Lac-Megantic’s downtown core.

The accident led to tougher government regulations with regard to the transport of oil by rail.

Three men, including the train’s conductor, are each facing 47 counts of criminal negligence causing death.
That's fine a café is opening so all will be well . Let's all go to starbucks for a latte .