Second-hand smoke a risk even on patios, says study

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Anti-tobacco advocates are using a new Quebec study to make the case for a smoking ban on outdoor patios.

With smoking banned in bars, restaurants and public building, patios are seen by many as one of the last havens for smokers to enjoy their habit outside their home.

“It’s one of those necessary evils,” said Adi Menon, who was enjoying a cigar on the patio at Oliver & Bonacinis on Front St. Saturday.

But a new study suggests that even on an outdoor patio, second-hand cigarette smoke can produce air quality comparable to a smoggy day in Los Angeles or even a forest fire.

annnywayyy...and the wheels on the exhaust-belching bus (and the taxis and the trucks and the cars and...) go round and round

Second-hand smoke a risk even on patios, says study | Toronto Star

a forest fire

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Anti-tobacco advocates are using a new Quebec study to make the case for a smoking ban on outdoor patios.

With smoking banned in bars, restaurants and public building, patios are seen by many as one of the last havens for smokers to enjoy their habit outside their home.

“It’s one of those necessary evils,” said Adi Menon, who was enjoying a cigar on the patio at Oliver & Bonacinis on Front St. Saturday.

But a new study suggests that even on an outdoor patio, second-hand cigarette smoke can produce air quality comparable to a smoggy day in Los Angeles or even a forest fire.

annnywayyy...and the wheels on the exhaust-belching bus (and the taxis and the trucks and the cars and...) go round and round

Second-hand smoke a risk even on patios, says study | Toronto Star

a forest fire

How does that compare with vehicular exhaust from passing vehicles?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
dam but I love the smell of the smoke from a lit cigarette...don't think I will ever get past that one... nothing worse than stale smoke though hanging dead in a room, or when someone walks up to you reeking of it...but a burning cigarette yup...must trigger happy memories or something on a subconscious level

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
How does that compare with vehicular exhaust from passing vehicles?

I assume that it deosn't replace the exhaust, but merely adds to it.

dam but I love the smell of the smoke from a lit cigarette...don't think I will ever get past that one... nothing worse than stale smoke though hanging dead in a room, or when someone walks up to you reeking of it...but a burning cigarette yup...must trigger happy memories or something on a subconscious level

Cigarette smoke gives me headaches. I especially don't appreciate smoking while walking along the sidewalk and I happen to be behind them. Sure I can cross the street or turn the block, but then it's as if they're claiming the whole sidewalk for themselves. Why pay taxes for a sidewalk I can't use without polluting my lungs? What's wrong with chewing tobacco?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

Sure, lol, but this reminds me of that scene from Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid. About to jump off a high cliff into a river to escape, the Kid hesitates and Butch, upon finding out about the Kid's fear of drowning, tells him "Don't worry about that! The fall will kill you."

In other words, the small amount that it may contribute doesn't significantly increase the problem of inhaling dangerous by-products by such an amount as to warrant a ban simply because of that.

Cigarette smoke gives me headaches. I especially don't appreciate smoking while walking along the sidewalk and I happen to be behind them. Sure I can cross the street or turn the block, but then it's as if they're claiming the whole sidewalk for themselves. Why pay taxes for a sidewalk I can't use without polluting my lungs? What's wrong with chewing tobacco?
Perfume gives me a headache. If I'm walking behind someone who's wearing a lot of perfume, I certainly don't appreciate it. Sure I could cross the street but why pay taxes for a sidewalk I can't use? You see, you can use that argument for just about anything.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
I agree but the Star says it'll kill you and the Star is never wrong, just ask them.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Yeah, I suppose it's kind of comparable to my taking a piss in the Pacific Ocean.

Perfume gives me a headache. If I'm walking behind someone who's wearing a lot of perfume, I certainly don't appreciate it. Sure I could cross the street but why pay taxes for a sidewalk I can't use? You see, you can use that argument for just about anything.

Or this sh*t that some people insist on spraying in their bathroom to "improve" the smell. It's enough to gag a maggot!.

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
if all the smokers switched to chewing tobacco when in public then you'd be tip-toeing through the loogies... but what an improvement to all that nasty smoke.

Or this sh*t that some people insist on spraying in their bathroom to "improve" the smell. It's enough to gag a maggot!.

couldn't a simple sit-down with the wife resolve this?

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Cigarette smoke gives me headaches. I especially don't appreciate smoking while walking along the sidewalk and I happen to be behind them.

Makes me full on nauseous. Probably because my mother was/is a chain smoker. One of the reasons I rarely go home. I annoyed her quite a bit about it when I was a kid. My sister did too. My mother predicted we'd both become smokers and she was half right, my sister did. I on the other hand never even tried it.

Ditto. Fortunately most work places have policies to prevent that from happening there. I once had to leave a movie theatre because of it unfortunately. Then again, I wound up not liking the movie anyway.

I agree but the Star says it'll kill you and the Star is never wrong, just ask them.

Doesnt really bother me if it kills or not. Those who want to do it should be able to. Those who dont shouldnt have to be around it either.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

Some people are just more equal than others

Ditto. Fortunately most work places have policies to prevent that from happening there. I once had to leave a movie theatre because of it unfortunately. Then again, I wound up not liking the movie anyway.

Big difference between corporate policy and full-on legislation

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I smell like an ashtray and chicken **** and pocketed cannabis roaches (sl) it must be hideous to those sensitives. I have never been attacked by a bear though and most of the insects are repelled as well.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Gotta love that putrid second hand acrid dope smoke too. It's just like a febreeze air freshener.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
...a forest fire.

I'm beginning to grow a little concerned about this fixation on forest fires. Twice mentioned now in the same thread. 8O

May I introduce you to a friend of mine?

Lol.;)

Timetrvlr

Electoral Member
Dec 15, 2005
BC interior
I'm beginning to grow a little concerned about this fixation on forest fires. Twice mentioned now in the same thread. 8O

May I introduce you to a friend of mine?

Lol.;)

Speaking of forest fires, we are living in a cloud of smoke again from forest fires to the north-west of us. Sometimes it's so dense as to make my throat raw. I'm sure it's not good for my health. I think we should ban forest fires.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Speaking of forest fires, we are living in a cloud of smoke again from forest fires to the north-west of us. Sometimes it's so dense as to make my throat raw. I'm sure it's not good for my health. I think we should ban forest fires.

Smokey likes the way you think. Lol.