Costa Rica to close its zoos and release animals from captivity

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Costa Rica's move to shutter its zoos comes on the heels of other recent legislation aimed at protecting animals from a life in captivity. Earlier this year, India became the largest nation to ban the exploitation of dolphins, joining the ranks of Costa Rica, Hungary, and Chile. In the United States, the keeping of captive chimpanzees will soon be strictly limited as they are likely candidates for protection from the Endangered Species Act.

more

Costa Rica announces plans to close its zoos and release animals from captivity : TreeHugger

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Double edge sword indeed. in some cases the only thing that saved a species was
enclosing them. The animals that are presently in captivity should remain there as
they would have serious trouble surviving in the wild at this stage in their lives.
I think the role of the zoo should change rather than close forever.
Take animals that are under threat of extinction and build the populations back up
but make the enclosures larger and more of a wildlife park than a zoo.
As for metropolitan zoos themselves I agree they should be phased out and the
animals left alone.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
enclosing them. The animals that are presently in captivity should remain there as
they would have serious trouble surviving in the wild at this stage in their lives.
Take animals that are under threat of extinction and build the populations back up
animals left alone.

I agree completely.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
animals left alone.
great post grumps

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
In other words, they can't afford it anymore. The largest land owning Corporations are tax free Green and Animal moonbeam agencies like WWF.

Costa Rica has no economy because they have so much "protected land" owned by moonbeam Corporations.

If they can't afford to take care of animals in the zoos, they have no money to take care of their own people who can't live off the land any longer and jet fuel guzzling eco-tourism has taken a face plant.

Somebody is going to have start drinking more Rain Forest Alliance Costa Rican coffee with 25% tree frog content in recycled cups.

Buy it up now while coffee is at a 4 year low and help save the Costa Rican human.