Cops arrest husband in Melissa Richmond murder

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I don't know if anyone else has caught wind of this or is following this story. It caught my eye because for years I lived very close to South Keys and did a lot of shopping there. Spooky to think they found her body right in the city like that.

Cops arrest husband in Melissa Richmond murder

Howard Richmond walked in the front door of Ottawa Police headquarters Friday but was taken out the back way in cuffs.
The 50-year-old was being driven by buddies to Pembroke for his wife Melissa’s wake when they stopped by 474 Elgin St. to meet detectives for another interview. They told him he was being charged with the murder of his 28-year-old wife — just as mourners were gathering in Pembroke for the first of two wakes.
His buddies were told not to wait for him.
Police say the plan was put in place Thursday — to take Richmond into custody, raid the couple’s Winchester home, and seize the suspect’s truck.
The arrest puts a crimp in Richmond’s weekend plans — his wife’s funeral is set for Saturday morning at CFB Petawawa, Melissa’s hometown and where Howard was stationed for several years.
According to his Facebook page, which contains several odd messages — given what happened Friday — he was also planning a candlelight vigil Aug. 4 at 11:30 p.m. That is around the time Richmond was last seen July 24, leaving her Winchester home in her car.
Family friends say it was not unusual for her to go for drives at night to unwind.
“I will be in front of the Winchester arena on the grass. If the press chooses to come, please do not interview, only observe the love of my LadyWife Melissa from the participants,” he wrote.
The body of his 28-year-old “LadyWife” Melissa, was found Sunday, partially clad and stabbed in a wooded area near a ravine behind the South Keys shopping centre. It’s not known if she was killed where her body was located but police say it is significant that Richmond’s truck was towed and is being analyzed by police techs.
On Tuesday, when police identified the body as Melissa, Howard changed his Facebook profile pic to their wedding photo.
He stated: “My Melissa has left this world... But at the same time one close friend is getting married, another celebrates 25 years of marriage and yet another is about to give birth.”
The couple, who had been married eight years, were heavily involved in live-action role playing games and neighbours said they seemed like a normal, happy couple.
Richmond is a warrant officer in the Canadian Armed Forces, believed to be stationed with Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Highlanders — a reserve infantry unit in Cornwall.
A member of an online Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder help group, he told reporters this week he had been on six overseas missions for the armed forces — to Afghanistan, Bosnia and Cypress.
Richmond appears in court Saturday via video.

Cops arrest husband in Melissa Richmond murder | Ottawa & Region | News | Ottawa Sun

I'm wondering if it'll be a PTSD defense?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I wonder if they will allow him to attend the wakes?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
A member of an online Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder help group, he told reporters this week he had been on six overseas missions for the armed forces — to Afghanistan, Bosnia and Cypress.

"Cypress?" Seriously?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I wonder if they will allow him to attend the wakes?

I don't know. You know, in all situations you hope they have the right person in custody (and I'm not about to second guess this early in the game) but if it's the wrong person and they miss the funeral, that would just be...wow. You know?

LadyWife? It was interesting to read about the couple being involved in role-playing games. Some people take those games very seriously.

That's true they can. Also, back with the PTSD, I wonder if that could play a part in the level/degree of seriousness of the role play.

I also noted quite a difference in their ages too, not that necessarily means anything but if they've been married for 6-8 years (I think that's what it said), she was very, very young at the time, 28 when she died. Women, when they are younger, may respond more to a 'take care of me' daddy type and possibly as they come of age, be a little more independent. But that's pure speculation because we know so little about them.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I don't know. You know, in all situations you hope they have the right person in custody (and I'm not about to second guess this early in the game) but if it's the wrong person and they miss the funeral, that would just be...wow. You know?
yeah, that's where I was coming from..this guy is at this point...innocent...so how is this going to work? might have been smarter to hang tight and pick him up right at the close of the second wake...that would have been my strategy

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
[/FONT] yeah, that's where I was coming from..this guy is at this point...innocent...so how is this going to work? might have been smarter to hang tight and pick him up right at the close of the second wake...that would have been my strategy

Yes, it's always hard to second guess, and we all love to speculate with these news stories right? Lol. But who knows, perhaps they had risk of flight concerns, perhaps they have really compelling evidence. I mean if it is him, then he shouldn't be at the funeral because that's rather repugnant.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Yes, it's always hard to second guess, and we all love to speculate with these news stories right? Lol. But who knows, perhaps they had risk of flight concerns, perhaps they have really compelling evidence. I mean if it is him, then he shouldn't be at the funeral because that's rather repugnant.
it is yes for sure and that part has me feeling divided emotionally.... BUT there has been no trial...he is innocent...even if he is holding her beating heart in his fist when they arrest him... see what I mean