Elections Canada gives up on Grits with campaign debts

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
The Liberal wing of Elections Canada

via sda:

You know, in the military, if you don't pay your debts, they garnish your wages until the debt is gone. I count three debtors who are still employed by the public, Stephane 'Can we do this interview again' Dion, Ken 'Give me a minute I'll spit it out' Dryden and Hedy 'Crosses to bear' Fry.

Take their wages and let them deal with it like the rest of us have to. But then, they're Liberals, so they're entitled to their entitlements.

Behold:

OTTAWA - Elections Canada has given up chasing Liberal leadership scofflaws who never fully repaid debts incurred during the 2006 campaign.

It's taken the federal agency years to determine existing legislation is flawed and leaves it powerless to sanction deadbeats or compel them to clear their slates.

"It is clear that the leadership contestants who continue to have unpaid debts...are not in compliance with the Canada Elections Act," chief electoral officer Marc Mayrand said Tuesday.

Elections Canada said Joe Volpe, Hedy Fry, Ken Dryden and Stephane Dion still owed money based on the last filings dated Dec. 31, 2011, which was the end of a court-approved extension to settle their accounts.

Other extensions had also been granted.

According to Elections Canada, Dryden owed $225,000, Volpe $98,700, Fry $69,000 and Dion $7,500.

The foursome was among eight contenders for the leadership that was won by Dion at a convention in Montreal.

Mayrand said the commissioner of Elections Canada concluded there is a gaping hole in legislation that allows contestants to fund their campaigns through loans which they do not repay.

"Legislation is urgently needed to provide effective remedies to guard against this practice and to maintain the integrity of our political financing regime,'' he said.

The Liberals changed their rules for this year's leadership contest won by Justin Trudeau to avoid the funding debacle that followed the 2006 race.

Sun News : Elections Canada gives up on Grits with campaign debts

Squeamish and pathetic.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Elections Canada says election law does not apply to Liberals

I’m not sure whether Marc Mayrand can’t read or is simply so much of a Liberal hack that he refuses to prosecute Liberals on principle but either way he must go.

Mayrand, who is Canada’s Chief Electoral Officer, was responding to the conclusion of the Commissioner of Canada Elections, strikingly similar to his own, that there is no way to prosecute Liberals who have broken the law.

For those who forgot that the Liberals held a leadership convention 7 years ago and that some people still have debts related to that, get the background here. After all this time Ken Dryden still owes $225,000 (to himself), Joe Volpe owes $98,700, Hedy Fry $69,000 and Stephane Dion $7,500.

This debt cames in the form of loans which, 18 months after the leadership campaign is over, are supposed to be considered donations if not paid back. Given that no one can donate more than a little over $1,000 per year to a political campaign, these leadership contestants, and those that loaned them the money, are in violation of the law.

Yet despite five years to deal with this, Mayrand says he can’t prosecute because the law is unworkable. Mayrand admits these four are in violation of the law, ”However, the Act, as currently drafted, does not provide a means by which these contestants can be sanctioned or compelled to repay their outstanding debts.”

Let me help him then by actually reading the law. Section 497 (1) (i.4) makes it an offence to circumvent the contributions limit. These four have definitely done that. What is the punishment? See section 500 of the Canada Elections Act.

liberals

Elections Canada says election law does not apply to Liberals « Lilley’s Pad