say what? U.S. wants exemption from Canadian law for cross-border officers

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Traditionally, co-operative initiatives in cross-border law enforcement and border management have been based on the notion that the laws of the host country apply to illegal acts on its territory and that host-country courts would have jurisdiction, says the RCMP memo.
"However, the U.S. has recently expressed concerns with the continued application of the 'host country law model' and has requested that its officers be exempted from the laws or the jurisdiction of the ordinary courts in Canada in the context of the Next Gen and Preclearance initiatives."
For the cargo preclearance pilot projects, announced in March, Canadian law will apply to U.S. customs officers, said Public Safety Canada spokeswoman Josee Picard.
But the issue remains unsettled for the policing initiative, which was supposed to be up and running last year.
The RCMP memo says there are several reasons why it "remains appropriate" for host country laws and courts to continue holding sway, including:
— the fact it is generally the right of sovereign states to have jurisdiction over unlawful acts in its territory;
— the Canadian and U.S. justice systems are very similar when it comes to use of force by police;
— the border pact was negotiated on the understanding that the countries' respective legal frameworks would apply.
"Canadians place a high value on sovereignty and police accountability," the briefing note adds.
A preliminary assessment indicates it "would not be feasible nor desirable to have two law enforcement officers working together being subjected to different regimes for accountability and criminal liability," the memo says.

Yahoo! News Canada - Latest News & Headlines

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
International Law is a joke. It cannot be enforced.

And we sure as heck weren't going to turn our soldiers over to Afghan Tribal Justice. What does the Taliban have... one prisoner? In 12 years of combat one prisoner? I wonder what happened to the rest?

But yeah I agree on the Cops thing. US Cops hate being told what they can and can't do.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
I think Canada needs to build a fence on its southern border... Period.

Sorta a reminder that's still a border, not some imaginary line in the sand..

Fukking tired of the Canadian government allowing the USA to walk all over Canadians and our rights...

If they want to take us over, then state your intentions and do it already,.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

Fukking tired of the Canadian government allowing the USA to walk all over Canadians and our rights...

Fine, you can start out in here in BC - oh and good luck.

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California

We're only interested in Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba. That's where the best of Canada comes from. :)

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Welcome to the NAU

Resistance is futile...

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
International Law is a joke. It cannot be enforced.

I like the idea of it but as you say, it cant be enforced. Even at the war crimes trials after WW2 it was only enforced for some things committed by some people - not everyone who broke international law. If it cant be enforced fairly to all then it is useless.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa

Impractical and radical. Several thousand miles of a fence or wall wont do much. There are rivers, lakes, mountain ranges. If people can get across those a little fence or wall wont be much work.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Impractical and radical. Several thousand miles of a fence or wall wont do much. There are rivers, lakes, mountain ranges. If people can get across those a little fence or wall wont be much work.

The Idea would be entirely symbolic..

As both many Canadian and American's alike have forgotten there is an International Border and you must respect the laws of the host country..

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
How bloody stupid.

Americans and Canadians, it's about time to get your heads around the idea that having such a long border with such a good friend is a GOOD THING. Here's a crazy idea. . . how 'bout acting like good friends?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
The Idea would be entirely symbolic..

As both many Canadian and American's alike have forgotten there is an International Border and you must respect the laws of the host country..

And the Canadians told them so and as far as I read that is the end of the story. And I absolutely with the Canadian Authorities on this. Why should our US police be exempt from Canadian Laws over US citizens?

I support our Police but I never liked the intimidating tactics that some use. I am not talking about getting a "wood shampoo" for being a D*ck in a drunken stupor but silly stuff. Like the way they used to do fundraising...

" Mr. Smith this is Sgt. Jones down at the Police Station."
"Yes... is anything wrong?"
"We're doing our annual fundraising..."

Geez

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
And the Canadians told them so and as far as I read that is the end of the story. And I absolutely with the Canadian Authorities on this. Why should our US police be exempt from Canadian Laws over US citizens?

I support our Police but I never liked the intimidating tactics that some use. I am not talking about getting a "wood shampoo" for being a D*ck in a drunken stupor but silly stuff. Like the way they used to do fundraising...

" Mr. Smith this is Sgt. Jones down at the Police Station."
"Yes... is anything wrong?"
"We're doing our annual fundraising..."

Geez

Had an OPP guy call me and tell me he was gonna record our convo.

Was after money for whatever.

I didn't think they did that.

Told him to f*ck off and hung up.

I'm probably on "the list"