Wikileaker Pfc. Bradly Manning Found Not Guilty

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
of Most Serious Charge of Aiding the Enemy

Pfc. Bradley Manning, the soldier charged with aiding the enemy for giving troves of U.S. government secrets to WikiLeaks, has been found not guilty of the most serious charge against him, aiding the enemy. He has been found guilty of lesser charges.

The military judge hearing the court-martial for the former intelligence analyst announced her decision Tuesday afternoon. Manning faced 21 counts including espionage, computer fraud and theft charges. But the most serious is aiding the enemy, carried a possible life sentence.

Manning still faces significant jail time as a result of being found guilty of lesser charges.

more

Wikileaker Pfc. Bradly Manning Found Not Guilty of Most Serious Charge of Aiding the Enemy | TheBlaze.com

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Well looks like he won't spend life behind bars but he does face some significant jail time.

Plus I'm guessing he'll get a Dishonorable Discharge which will be crippling.

We'll see tomorrow.

Omicron

Privy Council
Jul 28, 2010
Vancouver
Hmm... and he got a decision like that from a military judge.

You know what they say... "Military justice is to justice what military music is to music." (I think it was Graucho Marx who said that.)

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
The charge of aiding the enemy was the most serious of 21 counts Manning faced and carried a potential life sentence. His sentencing hearing on the convictions begins Wednesday. He faces up to 128 years in prison.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Nah, some think tank or lobbying group will give him a job when he gets out.

You think? Would you want him at your firm?

And a think tank or lobbying group? Surely you meant to put that in purple font.

If he does do significant time, by the time he gets out he will be yesterdays news and forgotten.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Really? I'll believe you, but my grampa was a USAF MP, and he implied one couldn't.

Of course. As one of my side duties as a Cpl. was to pick up and drop off prisoners from my unit from the brig. Some got out early for keeping their mouths shut.

Omicron

Privy Council
Jul 28, 2010
Vancouver

Okay, that's interesting... all these years I've been presuming military prisons had no room for clemency.

Mind you, that presumption was based on statements from a grumpy-gramps, who'd been an MP, and who'd gloat proudly about his greatest arrest resulting in two chaps being shipped off to Ft. Leavinworth for 20 years apiece after he busted them in the act of sodemy.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
You think? Would you want him at your firm?
Nope, but I'm not an ideologue. For a young person, the very best way to get a job is to say something super-controversial, and get punished for it. People for the American Way or some Soros think-tank will hire him as an "analyst."

And a think tank or lobbying group? Surely you meant to put that in purple font.
Cute. I just used the terms they use.

If he does do significant time, by the time he gets out he will be yesterdays news and forgotten.
That's the danger (to him).

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Nope, but I'm not an ideologue. For a young person, the very best way to get a job is to say something super-controversial, and get punished for it. People for the American Way or some Soros think-tank will hire him as an "analyst."

And you think that he is qualified? That he would be of real value? If he gets a Dishonorable he's damaged goods.

Cute. I just used the terms they use.

Wasn't trying to be.

That's the danger (to him).

I guess we'll know tomorrow. I've seen Dishonorables for a heck of a lot less like repeated UAs and theft.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
It was a general court-martial, so it could go to that.

As far as the "analyst" thing, yeah, if Manning's cause is still in vogue, he's "qualified." Happens a lot here in Byzantium-on-the-Potomac, Eagle. Way too much.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
It was a general court-martial, so it could go to that.

As far as the "analyst" thing, yeah, if Manning's cause is still in vogue, he's "qualified." Happens a lot here in Byzantium-on-the-Potomac, Eagle. Way too much.

The only way it will be in vogue is if he walks out of court tomorrow as a free man.

One need only look to Cindy Sheehan as an example. As soon as the GOP was swept from Congress in GW's second midterms she was quickly tossed aside... and the war slugged on. She had served her purpose to the Libs.