Pope Francis- Another positive change

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Pope Francis- Another positive change.
Pope Francis says he won’t judge gay priests in remarkable new interview | National Post

ABOARD THE PAPAL AIRCRAFT — Pope Francis reached out to gays on Monday, saying he wouldn’t judge priests for their sexual orientation in a remarkably open and wide-ranging news conference as he returned from his first foreign trip.

“If someone is gay and he searches for the Lord and has good will, who am I to judge?” Francis asked.

His predecessor, Pope Benedict XVI, signed a document in 2005 that said men with deep-rooted homosexual tendencies should not be priests. Francis was much more conciliatory, saying gay clergymen should be forgiven and their sins forgotten.

Francis’ remarks came Monday during a plane journey back to the Vatican from his first foreign trip in Brazil.

He was funny and candid during a news conference that lasted almost an hour and a half. He didn’t dodge a single question, even thanking the journalist who raised allegations reported by an Italian newsmagazine that one of his trusted monsignors was involved in a scandalous gay tryst.

Francis said he investigated and found nothing to back up the allegations.

Francis was asked about Italian media reports suggesting that a group within the church tried to blackmail fellow church officials with evidence of their homosexual activities. Italian media reported this year that the allegations contributed to Benedict’s decision to resign.

While stressing Catholic social teaching that calls for homosexuals to be treated with dignity and not marginalized, Francis said it was something else entirely to conspire to use private information for blackmail or to exert pressure.

Francis was responding to reports that a trusted aide was involved in an alleged gay tryst a decade ago. He said he investigated the allegations according to canon law and found nothing to back them up. But he took journalists to task for reporting on the matter, saying the allegations concerned matters of sin, not crimes like sexually abusing children.

And when someone sins and confesses, he said, God not only forgives but forgets.

“We don’t have the right to not forget,” he said.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
This is a positive step and long overdue. I think the whole gay issue as a crime or a sin
is way over the top, people will be what they want to be and that should be then end of it.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Frank sounds like he realizes humans are only human, as opposed to Benny.

I look forward to the next years and the changes he brings.
Who knows, perhaps 20, 30 years down the road this could be seen as the significant change that brought the Church to accepting Same Sex marriage.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
This is a positive step and long overdue. I think the whole gay issue as a crime or a sin
is way over the top, people will be what they want to be and that should be then end of it.

I can see referring to it as a sin, in the context of priests breaking their vows of celibacy to engage in it. Just as sex with a woman would be a sin for them. But it most certainly is not a crime, and when a priest breaks his vows with a consenting adult, I applaud Pope Francis for taking the media to task in reporting on it.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I can see referring to it as a sin, in the context of priests breaking their vows of celibacy to engage in it. Just as sex with a woman would be a sin for them. But it most certainly is not a crime, and when a priest breaks his vows with a consenting adult, I applaud Pope Francis for taking the media to task in reporting on it.
Makes me wonder how many Bishops to Cardinals may be asked to retire early.
Just got that feeling.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Makes me wonder how many Bishops to Cardinals may be asked to retire early.
Just got that feeling.

It sounds like he's taken a pretty firm stance.... if they confess their sins, it is not just forgiven, it is forgotten. I doubt anyone will be asked to retire unless they are unwilling to toe the new line.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
It sounds like he's taken a pretty firm stance.... if they confess their sins, it is not just forgiven, it is forgotten. I doubt anyone will be asked to retire unless they are unwilling to toe the new line.
Depends on the situation and circumstances.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Ok.... so we go back a half century to back up your statement.... wanna try a little more current..... maybe the last 100 years or so?
It was the first that popped into my head. Another one is evolution. More current? The likelihood of some magician poofing life on Earth as opposed to life's elements landing here on Earth and eventually forming life (which has since been replicated by humans, not gods).

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
It was the first that popped into my head. Another one is evolution. More current? The likelihood of some magician poofing life on Earth as opposed to life's elements landing here on Earth and eventually forming life (which has since been replicated by humans, not gods).

The Catholic Church does not deny evolution...... try again.

Also, one of the original "Authors" of the Big Bang Theory was a Catholic Priest.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
The Catholic Church does not deny evolution...... try again.
Whooosh. It was another example of reaching into the distant past like my first example was. The church sure as hell did buck the idea of evolution for a long time.

The Nile does turn red, but it's from algae, not blood.

Also, one of the original "Authors" of the Big Bang Theory was a Catholic Priest.
So? Mendel started the whole genetics thing and it was because the hat he had on while doing it was the scientist hat, not the friar's hat. :)

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Whooosh. It was another example of reaching into the distant past like my first example was. The church sure as hell did buck the idea of evolution for a long time.

The Nile does turn red, but it's from algae, not blood.

So? Mendel started the whole genetics thing and it was because the hat he had on while doing it was the scientist hat, not the friar's hat. :)

right...... my mistake...... should have recognized the continued closed mind...... the Catholic Church is anti science the same as it was 500 years ago.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
right...... my mistake...... should have recognized the continued closed mind...... the Catholic Church is anti science the same as it was 500 years ago.
lol I didn't say that. It can't be the same. Even the church evolves eventually. And one of the biggest reasons is that science keeps discovering stuff the church can't refute.
Again, I bet the church still thinks its god created life on Earth, in spite of evidence showing otherwise.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Again, I bet the church still thinks its god created life on Earth, in spite of evidence showing otherwise.

You bet? You mean you don't know? So let me get this straight, you are arguing against the RCC's position but you really don't know what their position is.....is that correct?