Thousands of fast-food workers who make less than $10 an hour strike for higher pay

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Thousands of fast-food workers who make less than $10 an hour strike for higher pay in 7 U.S. cities

Thousands of fast-food workers from restaurants such as McDonald’s Corp. and Wendy’s Co. walked off the job beginning Monday, calling for $15-an-hour pay.

Employees of fast-food eateries are striking in New York City, Chicago, St. Louis, Detroit, Milwaukee, Kansas City, Missouri, and Flint, Michigan, this week, organizers said in an e-mailed statement. The workers, who also are demanding the right to form a union without retaliation, are organized by groups such as New York Communities for Change, Jobs with Justice and Action Now. The Service Employees International Union is providing money to the campaigns and helping to organize the strikes.

American fast-food and retail workers have been striking this year for higher wages. In April, employees from McDonald’s and Yum! Brands Inc., which owns the KFC and Taco Bell chains, joined workers from Macy’s Inc. and L Brands Inc.’s Victoria’s Secret chain in walking off the job in Chicago and New York for higher pay.

“With the Occupy movement and discussion about the 1 percent, people are much more aware about the increase in inequality,” Janet Currie, an economics and policy affairs professor at Princeton University, in Princeton, New Jersey, said during an interview. “There are a lot of people right at the top of the distribution who are doing better than that segment of the population has since the 1920s, and that’s driving a lot of the income inequality.”

Occupy Movement

Occupy Wall Street, which began in 2011 in Manhattan, is a movement against multinational corporations, large banks and the richest 1 percent of people, according to the group’s website. The group has helped to make Americans more aware of income inequality as legislators debate laws about wages and benefits for low-paid workers.

Congress last voted to raise the federal minimum wage in 2007 and President Barack Obama’s call to raise it to $9 an hour from $7.25 has recently gone nowhere with lawmakers. Certain states set minimum wage above the federal standard; minimum hourly pay in Illinois, for example, is $8.25.

NYC Fast Food Workers Picket for Higher Pay - YouTube

McDonald’s Chief Executive Officer Don Thompson said last week that McDonald’s is an “above minimum-wage employer” during an interview on Bloomberg TV. The world’s largest restaurant chain, with more than 14,100 U.S. locations, will continue to provide entry-level jobs, he said.

“The majority of McDonald’s restaurants across the country are owned and operated by independent business men and women where employees are paid competitive wages, and have access to flexible schedules and quality, affordable benefits,” Ofelia Casillas, a spokeswoman for Oak Brook, Illinois-based McDonald’s, said in an e-mail.

Adding Jobs

The leisure and hospitality industry, which includes restaurants, is adding jobs faster than any other sector in the U.S. In June, the sector added 75,000 jobs, according to data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Fast-food cooks make $9.02 an hour, or about $18,760 a year, on average, according to 2012 data from the Washington-based agency.

Workers from Burger King Worldwide Inc., Domino’s Pizza Inc. and Subway restaurants are also striking this week.

source: Thousands of fast-food workers who make less than $10 an hour strike for higher pay in 7 U.S. cities | Financial Post

/////////////////////////////////////

Frigging stupid people.. most will be laid off and replaced by automated machines.. big business always win out.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Thousands of fast-food workers who make less than $10 an hour strike for higher pay in 7 U.S. cities

Thousands of fast-food workers from restaurants such as McDonald’s Corp. and Wendy’s Co. walked off the job beginning Monday, calling for $15-an-hour pay.

Employees of fast-food eateries are striking in New York City, Chicago, St. Louis, Detroit, Milwaukee, Kansas City, Missouri, and Flint, Michigan, this week, organizers said in an e-mailed statement. The workers, who also are demanding the right to form a union without retaliation, are organized by groups such as New York Communities for Change, Jobs with Justice and Action Now. The Service Employees International Union is providing money to the campaigns and helping to organize the strikes.

American fast-food and retail workers have been striking this year for higher wages. In April, employees from McDonald’s and Yum! Brands Inc., which owns the KFC and Taco Bell chains, joined workers from Macy’s Inc. and L Brands Inc.’s Victoria’s Secret chain in walking off the job in Chicago and New York for higher pay.

“With the Occupy movement and discussion about the 1 percent, people are much more aware about the increase in inequality,” Janet Currie, an economics and policy affairs professor at Princeton University, in Princeton, New Jersey, said during an interview. “There are a lot of people right at the top of the distribution who are doing better than that segment of the population has since the 1920s, and that’s driving a lot of the income inequality.”

Occupy Movement

Occupy Wall Street, which began in 2011 in Manhattan, is a movement against multinational corporations, large banks and the richest 1 percent of people, according to the group’s website. The group has helped to make Americans more aware of income inequality as legislators debate laws about wages and benefits for low-paid workers.

Congress last voted to raise the federal minimum wage in 2007 and President Barack Obama’s call to raise it to $9 an hour from $7.25 has recently gone nowhere with lawmakers. Certain states set minimum wage above the federal standard; minimum hourly pay in Illinois, for example, is $8.25.

NYC Fast Food Workers Picket for Higher Pay - YouTube

McDonald’s Chief Executive Officer Don Thompson said last week that McDonald’s is an “above minimum-wage employer” during an interview on Bloomberg TV. The world’s largest restaurant chain, with more than 14,100 U.S. locations, will continue to provide entry-level jobs, he said.

“The majority of McDonald’s restaurants across the country are owned and operated by independent business men and women where employees are paid competitive wages, and have access to flexible schedules and quality, affordable benefits,” Ofelia Casillas, a spokeswoman for Oak Brook, Illinois-based McDonald’s, said in an e-mail.

Adding Jobs

The leisure and hospitality industry, which includes restaurants, is adding jobs faster than any other sector in the U.S. In June, the sector added 75,000 jobs, according to data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Fast-food cooks make $9.02 an hour, or about $18,760 a year, on average, according to 2012 data from the Washington-based agency.

Workers from Burger King Worldwide Inc., Domino’s Pizza Inc. and Subway restaurants are also striking this week.

source: Thousands of fast-food workers who make less than $10 an hour strike for higher pay in 7 U.S. cities | Financial Post

/////////////////////////////////////

Frigging stupid people.. most will be laid off and replaced by automated machines.. big business always win out.
Um, do you tip people that work in restaurants that have buffets? Someone has to do the cooking and cleaning even if I serve myself, so I tip em. Do you tip people that work for Wendy's or McD's? I rarely have. Same work, but I'd make a bet more people tip more to restaurant people than to people that work in choke n pukes.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Um, do you tip people that work in restaurants that have buffets? Someone has to do the cooking and cleaning even if I serve myself, so I tip em. Do you tip people that work for Wendy's or McD's? I rarely have. Same work, but I'd make a bet more people tip more to restaurant people than to people that work in choke n pukes.

I do at Buffets that have a server that gets you drinks and cleans up. Not the full 20% but they get something.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Foolish. Most would lose their jobs if their pay went to $15/hr.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I do at Buffets that have a server that gets you drinks and cleans up. Not the full 20% but they get something.

So do I....... McD's and other fast food restaurants have a policy of their employees not being allowed to accept tips.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
So after they get their wages are super-sized, how much will you be paying for a McDonalds or any fast food afterwards??

I'm going to go out on a limb here, but if they want better pay.. get a better education..

They want $15/hr.. some nurses get that in the USA.. so will they need a raise to afford the food?

Hyper Inflation.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
So after they get their wages are super-sized, how much will you be paying for a McDonalds or any fast food afterwards??

Probably not much more, it's still a highly competitive industry with decent profit margins. But, their shareholders and CEO's might pocket a little less money.

Besides, I don't feel like getting my meal 25 cents cheaper at the cost of a living wage for the poor schmucks behind the tills.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Probably not much more, it's still a highly competitive industry with decent profit margins. But, their shareholders and CEO's might pocket a little less money.

Which is exactly why that is not going to happen.

Besides, I don't feel like getting my meal 25 cents cheaper at the cost of a living wage for the poor schmucks behind the tills.

I'm a 3 year veteran of Burger King... ages 15-18. I never considered myself a schmuck. I was flush with cash. Shaking out the fry basket is not intended on being a career unless you are looking to be promoted to management.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Which is exactly why that is not going to happen.

I'm a 3 year veteran of Burger King... ages 15-18. I never considered myself a schmuck. I was flush with cash. Shaking out the fry basket is not intended on being a career unless you are looking to be promoted to management.

Ah, you're confusing 'poor schmuck' with just 'schmuck'. They're not the same thing. ;)

I've been that poor schmuck too, in the retail equivalent... Wal-Mart.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Ah, you're confusing 'poor schmuck' with just 'schmuck'. They're not the same thing. ;)

I've been that poor schmuck too, in the retail equivalent... Wal-Mart.

I got what you meant Karrie. I started out at minimum wage and received slight increments of pay due to time employed. Oh... and I got a nice little boost when I... at 16... became the guy to open up the store on weekends! I had to get the broiler going, start up the fryers, get that grill going... oh and clean the parking lot!