Gunman among 7 dead in Florida apartment shooting

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Seven people were killed, including the gunman, in an overnight shooting at a South Florida apartment building, authorities said.

Police Sgt. Eddie Rodriguez told Fox News that the gunman was shot dead by a SWAT team following a standoff at a five-story building in Hialeah, just a few miles north of Miami.

Rodriguez said that when police arrived, they discovered an active shooter situation: "He's inside the building, moving from floor to floor. Eventually he barricades himself in an apartment."

Although a crisis team was able to briefly establish communication with the man, Rodriguez told The Associated Press talks eventually "just fell apart" with the gunman, who was holding two hostages on the fifth floor. Both of them survived when officers stormed the building, fatally shooting the gunman during an exchange of gunfire.

more

Gunman among 7 dead in Florida apartment shooting | Fox News

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
I'm sure he was trained by the NRA for this suicide mission.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
arm everyone up, it's the smart thing to do, if they'd all been carrying they'd all be alive right now

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
arm everyone up, it's the smart thing to do, if they'd all been carrying they'd all be alive right now

I think securing your apartment door would have been a better idea than having a gun..

When I moved into the place I live now, my neighbor was broken into.. They kicked the door in and it destroyed the frame and door..

So I changed the door with a solid steal door and painted it the same as the others.. I also reenforced the frame of the door with steel, and installed 2 locks..

There is no way anyone is coming through my door.. gun or no gun..

Being a trucker, the last think I want on my mind is a the stress or concern that my place may be broken into while on the road.

I'm renting a 3rd floor walk up in an old building.. I will never give this place up.. on the side of Nose Hill, corner unit with a view over a quite alley way and over looking the Deerfoot and Airport..

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Why'd SWAT kill him? He was just standing his ground. Repeatedly.

That's just fukked up Tecumsehsbones.. they were hostages.

"A gunman holding hostages inside the apartment complex killed six people before being shot to death by a SWAT team that stormed the building early Saturday following an hours-long standoff, police said."

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
That's just fukked up Tecumsehsbones.. they were hostages.

"A gunman holding hostages inside the apartment complex killed six people before being shot to death by a SWAT team that stormed the building early Saturday following an hours-long standoff, police said."

Yeah, how dare I?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Yeah, how dare I?
actually yeah, how dare you because it is contagious and contagion is never good...never

I can't carry a gun, as I would in Texas..

So in Canada, I opt for the next best thing..if ya gotta use it.. go for the neck.

good lord that is one wicked looking bugger, that would gut ya on the way in and fillet ya on the way out...

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I think securing your apartment door would have been a better idea than having a gun..

When I moved into the place I live now, my neighbor was broken into.. They kicked the door in and it destroyed the frame and door..

So I changed the door with a solid steal door and painted it the same as the others.. I also reenforced the frame of the door with steel, and installed 2 locks..

There is no way anyone is coming through my door.. gun or no gun..

Being a trucker, the last think I want on my mind is a the stress or concern that my place may be broken into while on the road.

I'm renting a 3rd floor walk up in an old building.. I will never give this place up.. on the side of Nose Hill, corner unit with a view over a quite alley way and over looking the Deerfoot and Airport..
Easy enough to get into. hehe Firefighters have losta practise figuring out how to get into places that are locked up. We have neat tools like portapowers and chopsaws. :D Simple portapower kits cost maybe $150, probably less. A few pumps on the portapower and away goes your $300 door and half the wall around it, assuming it doesn't buckle.
Any lock is pickable, too.

Steel? Seriously?

Get a zirconium oxide blade.
So far I have worn out one set of Bucks (hunting, general duty, and a small finger-sized issue) , but I was thinking maybe ZrC (it's twice as hard as ZrO2) ceramic for the next set. Heard good stuff bout it.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Easy enough to get into. hehe Firefighters have losta practise figuring out how to get into places that are locked up. We have neat tools like portapowers and chopsaws. :D Simple portapower kits cost maybe $150, probably less. A few pumps on the portapower and away goes your $300 door and half the wall around it, assuming it doesn't buckle.
Any lock is pickable, too..

Almost any lock is pick-able.. I suppose so.. but not some deranged nut job.. I doubt he has the equipment with while he is trying to take hostages.

Besides I have a nice floor bolt inside my door when I'm at home..

I am going to get a new iPhone lock soon.. I'm on the waiting list..

August Smart Lock - YouTube

August Smart Lock

I have a drop cam setup in the corner hutch so I can see everything from my iPhone while on the road. Uses the WiFi and you can see everything using an iPhone app.

https://www.dropcam.com

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Think the wife has her keys to the house with her, not sure where mine are, but we haven't locked the house for a decade or so.
Thought about cams, but only been robbed once. Local kid walked in and stole some candy bars. If I did install cams, they'd be lower than everyone else seems to put there's so ID would be a lot easier. Most cams seem to catch good shots of hat brims and chins and not much else.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Think the wife has her keys to the house with her, not sure where mine are, but we haven't locked the house for a decade or so.
Thought about cams, but only been robbed once. Local kid walked in and stole some candy bars. If I did install cams, they'd be lower than everyone else seems to put there's so ID would be a lot easier. Most cams seem to catch good shots of hat brims and chins and not much else.
meh as long as you have your six-shooters on you'll be fine, don't forget to load them though, that's how people die in gun fights, they forget to load

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
meh as long as you have your six-shooters on you'll be fine, don't forget to load them though, that's how people die in gun fights, they forget to load
Shotgun loaded with salt. Might draw a little blood but they won't die unless they're very allergic to salt. Shotguns are scary and salt has its own kinda bite. :D
lol Actually the wifey has her own kinda bite, too. Some half drunk goof grabbed her butt when she was working in the pub one time and the way it was described to me by the manager, she set the tray on the table, grabbed the guy's thumb and he took a one way, stunt flight to the floor, and lay there blinking, with her holding his thumb and her foot on his chest. Unfortunately, the manager didn't video it. Was pretty funny the way he told it anyway. lol

Last edited: