Aristocrat photographs mysterious creature wandering his estate

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

Prepared: Sir Benjamin Slade with his rifle and Bolly, his hunting companion

You can probably tell from the intrepid get-up and the rifle at his side, but Sir Benjamin Slade is a man on a mission – a mission to protect the public from a big cat that he says is stalking his estate.

He’d also rather like to mount its head on one of the walls in his 13th century manor house.

The eccentric aristocrat fears the puma-like creature will kill a visitor if it is not shot dead and has put up signs around his 98-acre estate in Somerset, warning ramblers to be on the lookout.

Sir Benjamin Slade outside Maunsel House, his magnificent 13th Century manor house on his 98-acre estate in Somerset

Following numerous sightings, a staff member managed to take a photo of the mysterious black animal on his mobile phone.

Sir Benjamin, 67, who is a UKIP supporter, has named the cat the Beast of North Newton after the village nearest his estate. He said: ‘I think it is bigger than most cats, probably bigger than a puma.

‘When I saw the photo, it was visibly huge. The grass in the picture is two-and-a-half foot high.

‘We need to get this thing shot because it may kill a young child or dog.

‘Plus, I need the head to put in my collection.’

Tom Baker, 25, the staff member who snapped the creature when he was putting out the rubbish at Maunsel House, said: ‘I saw something about 150 metres away and didn’t know if it was a deer, but it looked strange. I zoomed in and took the images.

‘It certainly looks like a big cat. I have no other explanation for it.’

And he might just be right.

There have been a ‘substantial’ number of sightings of big cats in Somerset in the last year, according to Danny Bamping, founder of the British Big Cats Society.

Sir Benjamin claims to have seen the creature before, lurking behind a postbox, and in recent months, he and members of staff have found piles of feathers around the estate, as well as the remains of a dead fox.

Mysterious: What appears to be a big cat in a picture taken by Sir Benjamin Slade at Maunsel House, Somerset

Taking action: Sir Benjamin has put up a sign saying 'Beware of the big cat' at his grand estate Maunsel House, near Bridgwater in Somerset

He also fears the creature is feeling particularly defensive after visitors said they spotted cubs.

The baronet added: ‘I’ve put up signs to warn people and people have been keeping their dogs in their cars and haven’t let their children walk off in case they don’t come back.

'I have a wedding business to run here too. Luckily the guests make a bit of noise so this creature hopefully won’t come near. But they might get gobbled up if they wander off.’

However, Sir Benjamin conceded that Mr Baker’s photo is not conclusive.

Warning: Sir Benjamin Slade is warning guests at his Maunsel House to be careful following the big cat sighting

‘They don’t exactly stand still and pose, which is the problem,’ he said.

He said he planned to collect hair and droppings to send off for analysis the next time animal remains are found.

Sir Benjamin, a childless millionaire, made headlines last year after police staged a dramatic raid on his home, which saw him charged with possessing a firearm without a certificate and breaching a shotgun certificate by leaving a weapon unsecured.

He said he used the shotgun to shoot at foxes from his bedroom window.

Sir Benjamin uses his shotgun to shoot at foxes from his bedroom window. It might also come in useful to shoot any big cat wandering by.

Rival: In 2008 Chris Ede spotted this big black cat outside her holiday home and believes it may have been the legendary Beast of Bodmin

Last edited:

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
[/COLOR]

That's the strangest-looking creature I've ever seen! Obviously the result of a centuries-long inbreeding experiment gone horribly wrong.

Ugly white fur, stumpy little limbs, a body clearly too heavy for decent running.

The dog's nice, though.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Have you got any evidence that he's inbred?

He's probably less inbred that the average denizen of Alabama.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Have you got any evidence that he's inbred?
Will marriage records of the aristocracy do? Though admittedly there's a very good chance his real father, grandfather, and great-grandfather were Irish gardeners rather than the ponce listed on the birth certificate.

He's probably less inbred that the average denizen of Alabama.
You're actually thinking of West Virginia. Mountain "hollers," hillbillies, sister-humping, &c.

Attempted insults that only serve to reveal your ignorance aren't particularly effective, what?

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
Will marriage records of the aristocracy do? Though admittedly there's a very good chance his real father, grandfather, and great-grandfather were Irish gardeners rather than the ponce listed on the birth certificate.

You're actually thinking of West Virginia. Mountain "hollers," hillbillies, sister-humping, &c.

Attempted insults that only serve to reveal your ignorance aren't particularly effective, what?

ouch.
the ghost OF Charles the second HAUNTS THIS FORA Charles II of Spain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
it looks like a panther that belongs in a zoo, poor thing, get your guns out, shoot anything that moves

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Wear camouflage and look like a dork! Protect your peafowl! Have tea! Another busy day...

Last edited:

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Thinking of going to cuddle the cute kitty?
meh, nah, it is likely too damn hungry, it looks big...I guess darting it and relocating it just wouldn't allow for Safari Sam's wall mount, probably some illegal exotic and now they wanna kill the damn thing, we are savage beasts

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Is that an pale English knock-off of an AK47 he is holding by the barrel? He is not wearing a hat. Was ir blown off?

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
its possible that the pics make the cat look larger then it actually is.