Senior allegedly roughed up by cops

grumpydigger

Electoral Member
Mar 4, 2009
Kelowna BC
Senior allegedly roughed up by cops after wife with Alzheimer’s tells passersby a ‘bad man’ is in her house | Ontario | News | Toronto Sun LONDON, Ont. — An 87-year-old London, Ont., man was handcuffed and allegedly pushed face first into the ground by police officers sent to his home after his wife who has Alzheimer’s told passersby a “bad man” was in her home Monday.
Serge Zubko was sitting in the home he built, watching television, when police came to his door and roughed him up.
But Zubko — cuts and bruises all over his face and hands and facing a charge of assault — fears most that his wife will be taken away and put in a nursing home because of the traumatic event.
“I can’t sleep. It’s over and over and over (thinking) ... After 60 years in this country why at the end did this happen to me?” he said. “I’m an 87-year-old man. I don’t need the police to come over and beat me up like that.”
Zubko said the chain of events started about 9 p.m. when his wife, who speaks mostly Polish, left the house and got the attention of three girls walking by when she said there was a “bad man” in the house.
Someone called police. They tried to speak to Zubko’s wife, but she doesn’t speak English. So they went to the house and knocked on the window, Zubko said.
“I get up, and hear a harsh voice saying ‘Do you live here?’ It startles me. Whose business is it?” said Zubko, recalling the incident and saying he didn’t realize at first it was police at the window.
“I answered with a question: ‘Can’t you tell (that I live here)?.”
The voice said to come outside.
When he got to the door, he said, he saw the officers, but also his wife near a police cruiser at the road. He instinctively tried to move toward her, but officers blocked him, yanking his hands behind his back to arrest him, he said.
And then, Zubko said, they shoved him face down onto the driveway.
“It hurt like hell,” he said, adding he couldn’t help but cry in pain and shout for help as he begged the officers to uncuff him.
His lawyer, Bill Dewar, said police “should have known his wife was an Alzheimer’s patient,” and even if they wanted to arrest Zubko, they could have done so with less force.
Police said Zubko was “unco-operative” and pushed the officers more than once. They stand by the charge against him for allegedly assaulting the officers, London police Const. Ken Steeves said.

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
There are some truly idiotic police out there, do they even have hiring standards anymore.

This idiot with a badge attacked a blind doctor in a parking lot.

WINDSOR POLICE BEATING CAUGHT ON TAPE - YouTube

And these morons beat the crap out of two guys for missing a garbage can one was trying to throw a piece of pizza into.

Edmonton Police Video Sparks Review Of Alleged Brutality (GRAPHIC)

The Edmonton Police Service has launched an internal investigation after a graphic YouTube video surfaced depicting an alleged violent take down of two men along Whyte Avenue over the long weekend.

The video catches what looks like the arrest of two men by several EPS members in the early morning hours of May 20, after one of the men allegedly threw a piece of pizza at a garbage can and missed.

The video, which is dark and shaky, starts off with an EPS member sitting on the torso of one of the men. The camera catches the sound of the police officer punching the man on the face as he tells him to stop resisting and to turn on his stomach.

Later in the video, the man on the ground is seen face down in a pool of his own blood, which trickles from the sidewalk on to the roadway.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Senior allegedly roughed up by cops after wife with Alzheimer’s tells passersby a ‘bad man’ is in her house | Ontario | News | Toronto Sun LONDON, Ont. — An 87-year-old London, Ont., man was handcuffed and allegedly pushed face first into the ground by police officers sent to his home after his wife who has Alzheimer’s told passersby a “bad man” was in her home Monday.
Serge Zubko was sitting in the home he built, watching television, when police came to his door and roughed him up.
But Zubko — cuts and bruises all over his face and hands and facing a charge of assault — fears most that his wife will be taken away and put in a nursing home because of the traumatic event.
“I can’t sleep. It’s over and over and over (thinking) ... After 60 years in this country why at the end did this happen to me?” he said. “I’m an 87-year-old man. I don’t need the police to come over and beat me up like that.”
Zubko said the chain of events started about 9 p.m. when his wife, who speaks mostly Polish, left the house and got the attention of three girls walking by when she said there was a “bad man” in the house.
Someone called police. They tried to speak to Zubko’s wife, but she doesn’t speak English. So they went to the house and knocked on the window, Zubko said.
“I get up, and hear a harsh voice saying ‘Do you live here?’ It startles me. Whose business is it?” said Zubko, recalling the incident and saying he didn’t realize at first it was police at the window.
When he got to the door, he said, he saw the officers, but also his wife near a police cruiser at the road. He instinctively tried to move toward her, but officers blocked him, yanking his hands behind his back to arrest him, he said.
“It hurt like hell,” he said, adding he couldn’t help but cry in pain and shout for help as he begged the officers to uncuff him.
His lawyer, Bill Dewar, said police “should have known his wife was an Alzheimer’s patient,” and even if they wanted to arrest Zubko, they could have done so with less force.
Police said Zubko was “unco-operative” and pushed the officers more than once. They stand by the charge against him for allegedly assaulting the officers, London police Const. Ken Steeves said.
I wonder if those cops are related to Cst. Bubbles. Must be nice for them to be looked up to as heroes for beating up a 87 yr old dude. Unreal.

Unfortunately, I think for some cops, their badges tend to replace their brains.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Well, ya see, police work is very stressful. And these fine men and women put their lives on the line for us every day.

You should do it the way we do. Three-week suspension for killing an unarmed, unresisting suspect whilst serving an arrest warrant for a non-violent crime (running an on-line gambling operation). See, the suspect was an optometrist, and I guess we all know how violent they are!

http://reason.com/archives/2011/01/17/justice-for-sal

Last edited:

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
They also seem to shoot first and think later.

Toronto streetcar shooting involving police leaves 1 dead - Toronto - CBC News

Baron told CBC News he heard police shouting "drop the knife" multiple times. Several gunshots were fired a short time later.

"I could see a guy standing up with a knife, and it wasn't a big thing, maybe five or six inches long," Baron said. "There was no apparent attack. I didn't see him attack anyone."

Ian Bush was shot in the back of the head while in custody, according to the officer responsible Bush had him in a choke hold when he shot him. Blood spatter and bullet trajectory indicated that the mountie was standing behind Bush so he basically got away with murder or at least manslaughter.

Ian Bush's mother drops RCMP lawsuit - British Columbia - CBC News

Then there was the 82 year old guy who was tasered while in hospital.

RCMP subdue hospitalized man, 82, with Taser - British Columbia - CBC News

An elderly man in Kamloops, B.C., was zapped three times on the torso by a police stun gun while lying on his hospital bed, CBC News has learned.

Frank Lasser, 82, appeared fragile Thursday when he showed the Taser marks on his body and talked about the ordeal he went through Saturday.

"They [police] should have known I had bypass surgery," Lasser told CBC News.

Lasser has had heart surgery and needs to carry an apparatus to supply oxygen at all times. He was in the Royal Inland Hospital Saturday due to pneumonia but has since been released.

If someone is that unable to determine realistic risk they shouldn't be entrusted with deadly force.

Well, ya see, police work is very stressful. And these fine men and women put their lives on the line for us every day.

You should do it the way we do. Three-week suspension for killing an unarmed, unresisting suspect whilst serving an arrest warrant for a non-violent crime (running an on-line gambling operation). See, the suspect was an optometrist, and I guess we all know how violent they are!

It is a stressful job, and they make it a lot worse for themselves by acting this way, people who would otherwise be supportive of their efforts don't want to have anything to do with them. It also raises the level of violence for people who start feeling they need to protect themselves from unrestricted violence from the police.

I think in California they had another Rodney King like incident except the guy died this time and the Chips beat the hell out of a trucker recently who refused to sign a ticket until he read it.

Truck Driver Nearly Beaten to Death By Police For Not Signing Traffic Ticket - YouTube

POLICE BRUTALITY - Cops Beat Man To Death With Baton - YouTube

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
And the insanity just continues;

Sammy Yatim Shooting: Ontario Ombudsman Andre Marin Launches Formal Probe

Yatim was killed on an empty streetcar on July 27 in an incident that was captured on surveillance and cellphone videos, and sparked public outrage.

They show officers surrounding the streetcar and three shots being fired before Yatim is seen dropping to the floor. Seconds later six more shots can be heard, followed by the sound of a Taser.

They shot the guy nine times then tased him, that's not policing, that's an execution, the ****s responsible for this should be charged with murder.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
The power of police on the streets is obvious, there are other arenas where they wield their influence in ways that may not be consistent with an open and democratic society.

For example, police are known to arrive at courtrooms en masse when one of their own is under judicial scrutiny. An egregious example occurred earlier this year when both a criminal lawyer and her client allege intimidation occurred during the trial of Raymond Costain on charges of impaired driving and assault to resist arrest; these charges followed Costain's severe beating by police in an episode captured on video:

Lawyer alleges Toronto Police intimidated her and client | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun

Toronto Police Service Dashboard Camera Footage Shows Takedown of Drunk Driver - YouTube

Yet police muscle extends far beyond the street and the courtroom. In response to Durham Police Detective Dennis Scott's attempt yesterday to intimidate Ontario Ombudsman Andre Marin via Twitter,

more

Ontario ombudsman outs Twitter troll attacking him over Sammy Yatim shooting as Durham police detective | National Post

It is an arm that reaches into the very heart of our democracy, our government, revealed in the latter's reaction to Marin's proposal, in 2011, that the Special Investigations Unit be taken out of the Police Services Act so it can operate as an entirely independent body:

more

Ombudsman steps into yet another hornet’s nest: DiManno | Toronto Star

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

All I can say is "gutless bunch of bastards" if this is all true. Even if an 87 year old man is completely in the wrong there is no reason to hurt him. Fire the bastards (oh yeah, after guilt has been determined, Gerry) -:)

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
It also doesn't seem to matter what the evidence indicates when a cop shoots a civilian.

Expert to challenge RCMP version of Ian Bush shooting: lawyer - British Columbia - CBC News

Slemko did a pattern analysis of the blood spatter in RCMP photographs to try to determine the position of the 22-year-old mill worker and the officer who shot him, Rubin said.

In his report, which was sent to the family, Slemko said he didn't find any bloodstain evidence to support the testimony of Const. Paul Koester, who told the inquest last month he was attacked by Bush and choked from behind and had to shoot Bush to save his own life.

And if you actually try to assert your Charter Rights and protest police brutality, be prepared to be assaulted by the police.

Montreal Canada Police Brutality March 2013 - YouTube

I used to respect the police, especially the Mounties, my sister was engaged to one, and her brother-in-law has been in the force for over thirty years. They always used to be tough, but now they seem outright sadistic.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The main problem with the cops is they start out with too much power and authority before they can handle it. For the first five years they should be doing foot patrols, their equipment being a whistle and a cell phone, if they successfully handle that then they can have a bicycle and a billy stick for the next five years before they are given a patrol car and a gun. I would practically guarantee there would be no A$$holes left after ten years.

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
The main problem with the cops is they start out with too much power and authority before they can handle it. For the first five years they should be doing foot patrols, their equipment being a whistle and a cell phone, if they successfully handle that then they can have a bicycle and a billy stick for the next five years before they are given a patrol car and a gun. I would practically guarantee there would be no A$$holes left after ten years.

I'm for that, now too many of them think they're Rambo and are just waiting to "blow away the bad guy", which pretty much makes them the bad guy as far as many of us are concerned.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Screen them better from the beginning.

The problem is most people can behave properly for a limited period of time, at work I've seen employees on 6 months probation be model employees and then start acting like A$$holes the day after their probation is up.