Why make news out of faint hope possibilities?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Surrey man's DNA tested in notorious missing-child case - British Columbia - CBC News

Very little would make me happier than finding Michael Dunahee alive and well, but realistically what are the chances? 1 in 50 or 1 in 500? Why not "keep a lid" on it until there is a real chance that it is reality? Years ago they found a kid in New Jersey or Pa. the media was certain it was him. Getting people's hopes up unrealistically is criminal.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I think for many people, the fact that they keep searching, keep testing, is important to know. It's heartening, even if this isn't him (as police state it most likely isn't). Kudos to them for pursuing all possible leads.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I think for many people, the fact that they keep searching, keep testing, is important to know. It's heartening, even if this isn't him (as police state it most likely isn't). Kudos to them for pursuing all possible leads.

There is that angle to it all right!

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Surrey man's DNA tested in notorious missing-child case - British Columbia - CBC News

Very little would make me happier than finding Michael Dunahee alive and well, but realistically what are the chances? 1 in 50 or 1 in 500? Why not "keep a lid" on it until there is a real chance that it is reality? Years ago they found a kid in New Jersey or Pa. the media was certain it was him. Getting people's hopes up unrealistically is criminal.

If I was the parent of a missing child, I would hope for that 1 in a million chance rather than have no chance at all. Without hope, it can be pretty bleak.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
If I was the parent of a missing child, I would hope for that 1 in a million chance rather than have no chance at all. Without hope, it can be pretty bleak.

Absolutely, but don't raise it above that unrealistically until there is sound evidence.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
The fact that this guy says he doesn't know if he could be this boy, raises huge red flags of hope for me, sorry JLM (and yes, that flies in the face of what police say). His mother just passed away. That means he should have just inherited all his photo albums, baby books, and records. If someone came to you, and said 'we think you were abducted by your parents', would you not have documentation to prove that false? I have birth certificates, photos of me as a swaddled babe in my grandma's arms, etc., to prove I am me, and always have been.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The fact that this guy says he doesn't know if he could be this boy, raises huge red flags of hope for me, sorry JLM (and yes, that flies in the face of what police say). His mother just passed away. That means he should have just inherited all his photo albums, baby books, and records. If someone came to you, and said 'we think you were abducted by your parents', would you not have documentation to prove that false? I have birth certificates, photos of me as a swaddled babe in my grandma's arms, etc., to prove I am me, and always have been.

I'm very hopeful Karrie, but I don't have a vested interest and I would just hate to have to see the poor Dunahees go through more agony if it turns out to be a hoax.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I'm very hopeful Karrie, but I don't have a vested interest and I would just hate to have to see the poor Dunahees go through more agony if it turns out to be a hoax.

I doubt that more agony is possible JLM, and how would it be a hoax? Are you suggesting someone is playing a trick on them?