"Free the CBC" ads won't run on CBC

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Here in "Harper" Canada, apparently our public broadcaster isn't free to air anything that might make our glorious supreme leader look bad.

'Free The CBC' Ads Calling On Feds To Stop Political Interference Won't Air On CBC

An ad campaign calling on the federal government to "free the CBC from political interference" rolls out Monday, but the public broadcaster itself won't run the advertisements, reports the Ottawa Citizen.

Friends of Canadian Broadcasting, an "independent watchdog for Canadian programming," is lobbying against parts of the government's omnibus Bill C-60, passed in June, which give the Treasury Board a role in the CBC's contract negotiations.

“I’m a little surprised and disappointed that they wouldn’t take our money for the ads,” Ian Morrison, a spokesperson for FCB, told the Citizen.

“It proves our point a little bit about the nature of the problem.”

A little?

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
LOL!!!!

"The nature of the problem" is the existence of a Ministry of Truth in the first place.

That's a good description of the Harper government which goes to a great effort to craft the message in this country.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
This government has its nose in all kinds of places for partisan purposes more so than
any other. As long as the message is legal it should not be refused no matter who is
the subject or the target of the message. As for the CBC well I agree the institution
should remain in public hands and not be privatized. Th CBC is a voice like many others
and it is not as left as the right would pretend. The only broadcast institution which is
willing to take the mantle of outright bias is the Sun News outlet. The real news stations
might have a prference depending on the subject the Sun Network is little more than
FOX North. Its like someone said Sun is like Pigeon Leadership, they make a lot of noise,
crap all over everything in society and fade away like a bad dream.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
The CBC is owned by the Canadian Taxpayer and is supported by over $Billion in Taxpayer funds..

I want everybody who uses my tax money to be transparent and accountable to me, thru my elected representative, in the expenditure of my funds!!

If the CBC does not like this, they can reject the $Billion and give me back the fair market value for the assets I provided them.
Then they can be free to be like Global and CTV..

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Here in "Harper" Canada, apparently our public broadcaster isn't free to air anything that might make our glorious supreme leader look bad.

'Free The CBC' Ads Calling On Feds To Stop Political Interference Won't Air On CBC

A little?

I got news for you sunshine. The CBC IS free. You do not have to pay to listen/watch it. All thanks to the taxpayer. If the government employees putting in time there don't like the way it is managed they are also FREE to look for a job elsewhere.
I think the taxpayers of Canada should also be FREE from financing this largely irrelevant pink elephant.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
The CBC is owned by the Canadian Taxpayer and is supported by over $Billion in Taxpayer funds..

I want everybody who uses my tax money to be transparent and accountable to me, thru my elected representative, in the expenditure of my funds!!

If the CBC does not like this, they can reject the $Billion and give me back the fair market value for the assets I provided them.
Then they can be free to be like Global and CTV..
Got change for a quarter?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
The CBC TV is subject to the same market pressures as any other media outlet. Ever since they started selling advertising air time. I don't know how many of you have worked in the media, but advertisers are the biggest reason for bias in reporting. Their editorial content has to be designed to not piss off their advertisers. To say they are left wing is absurd and nothing more than conservative propaganda.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
The CBC TV is subject to the same market pressures as any other media outlet. Ever since they started selling advertising air time. I don't know how many of you have worked in the media, but advertisers are the biggest reason for bias in reporting. Their editorial content has to be designed to not piss off their advertisers. To say they are left wing is absurd and nothing more than conservative propaganda.
If you believe what you wrote you should be wearing a pointy hat and be sitting in the corner. What a load of c r a p. The CBC is given a $1 billion dollar gift each year by me just because they exist. No other network gets $1 billion dollars as a gift from me. Market pressures my a s s.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
If you believe what you wrote you should be wearing a pointy hat and be sitting in the corner. What a load of c r a p. The CBC is given a $1 billion dollar gift each year by me just because they exist. No other network gets $1 billion dollars as a gift from me. Market pressures my a s s.
Holy Crap! I didn't realize you were the sole benefactor of the CBC. How come they don't do your bidding?

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Well if the market pressures are so intense, why do they need my money.

CBC should become independent, then they can do whatever they wish!! Then everybody will be happy...eh!!

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
The CBC, like so many other quasi-independent government agencies, signs contracts with people for a LOT more than they are worth. It's way past time that the government take action to conserve some of the taxpayers money. Just because it's the CBC does not mean it is entitled to a totally free ride on the taxpayers backs.