Man charged for posting alleged Jun Lin murder video

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Many people saw that video and it didn't show a murder. The stabbing of a corpse and cutting flesh from the buttocks.

..."corrupting morals"...gimme a break. The site has a disclaimer you agree to before even entering.

You are about to enter a website that contains photos and videos depicting real life events. Reality is not always pretty and may be perceived as offensive, upsetting and shocking. The pages of Best Gore are designed for ADULTS and STABLE individuals only. If you are not one, you MUST click on exit now!

By clicking on ENTER you certify under penalty of perjury that you are 18 years of age or over (if the age of majority is higher in your state, province or country, then you certify that you are of said age or older), that it is not illegal to view graphic or adult oriented material in your community and that you understand that the materials presented at Best Gore are of adult, obscene, vulgar, disgusting, graphic, gory, disturbing or shocking nature.

By clicking on ENTER you further certify that you are not offended by such materials and that you are intentionally and knowingly seeking access to them for your own personal viewing.

If you do not meet these requirements, or do not agree with them, then you do not have permission to use this website from this point onwards and must click on EXIT now.

EDMONTON – A charge of "corrupting morals" has been laid against an Edmonton webmaster who posted a graphic video that depicts what's believed to be the grisly murder and dismemberment of a Chinese undergraduate student.

Edmonton homicide detectives have charged Mark Marek, 38, in relation to the video that appears to depict the murder of Jun Lin, that was posted to bestgore.com.

Investigations beginning in June 2012 determined that Marek was the owner and operator of the website, which was being operated out of Edmonton.

Detectives investigated the website and video, which were linked to the homicide investigation of Jun Lin, in Montreal.

Montreal police last year charged Luka Magnotta with murder in the death of Jun Lin.

Edmonton detectives arrested and charged Marek, of Edmonton, Tuesday night with corrupting morals.

more

Man charged for posting alleged Jun Lin murder video | Canada | News | Toronto Sun

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
There is no need or logical, rational reason why anybody needs to see a video, made by a deranged psycho killer, of a man's body being dismembered. Whether the murder takes place on screen or not, there was a murder. It doesn't benefit society, it has nothing to do with freedom of expression, freedom of information, or any other freedom. The viewing of that video is for nothing more than curiosity and cheap thrills. Let the victim retain some measure of dignity and keep that out of the public eye.

I'll not weep for the man charged.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
The pages of Best Gore are designed for ADULTS and STABLE individuals only. If you are not one, you MUST click on exit now!

And if you click on it, you prove you are NOT a stable individual, which creates an odd legal loophole, no?

As far as I'm concerned, privacy laws are breached when anyone is put on film without their consent in a setting that is not public, and it is broadcast. Since we are very assured that he did NOT consent to the video of his death and dismemberment, this video breaches his rights, and is, in my opinion, desecration of a corpse occurring infinitely.

There is no 'right' any sane individual can claim, to seeing the video.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
I certainly won't recommend that type of viewing for the majority of people. That crap ain't for most folk, that's for certain but the identity of the victim was not know at the time. It was a gore video like many others. Folks were trying to ID the perp based on brief self-shots (some with a mask) and room clues. It was to do with animal abuse vids he had posted earlier.

I'm not aware of any snuff film online, ever.

Besides, the Zetas and Taliban are the God Tier when it comes to reality gore. War footage is a close second.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I certainly won't recommend that type of viewing for the majority of people. That crap ain't for most folk, that's for certain but the identity of the victim was not know at the time.

Out of curiosity, why should that matter?

It was a gore video like many others. Folks were trying to ID the perp based on brief self-shots (some with a mask) and room clues. It was to do with animal abuse vids he had posted earlier.

I'm not aware of any snuff film online, ever.

Besides, the Zetas and Taliban are the God Tier when it comes to reality gore. War footage is a close second.
Personally I think war footage is a different animal altogether, even the terrorist activities. First of all, we can't stop someone in another country from making something available on the web. But further, particularly with war footage, we're really starting to cross into territory of what the public needs to see. Not wants to see, but needs to see. As in we have a responsibility to see what's being done, or done to our troops, when a battle is being fought in our name.

But when it comes to this type of thing, mutilating a human body, or even the animal abuse stuff. It doesn't matter to me honestly whether there is more gory stuff elsewhere online, this guy posted it simply because he had it in his possession. That was the only reason, this whole "we were trying to identify the guy" just smells to me like post-rationalization. The video didn't have to be shown in entirety in order for screenshots of the guys face to be made public.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Personally I think war footage is a different animal altogether....

What governments and terrorist regimes will do to people, is indeed very different. People don't need to be educated on the importance of avoiding a cannibal, in the way they need to be educated in the importance of avoiding war. Their tax money never funded the atrocities committed on Jun Lin. Their country's policies never put Lin there.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Out of curiosity, why should that matter?.

Only in the sense the site wasn't flying it in the face of his family at the time. That's all. Nobody knew who it was. Other sites renamed the video with the victims' name for shock and web traffic I suppose. It won't change anyone's opinion about whether that sort of graphic content should be available or not though.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Only in the sense the site wasn't flying it in the face of his family at the time. That's all. Nobody knew who it was.

Okay, gotcha.

Other sites renamed the video with the victims' name for shock and web traffic I suppose. It won't change anyone's opinion about whether that sort of graphic content should be available or not though.

Just think eventually there has to a be a line drawn. Even on the world wild web.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
When it goes to court, if he took it down as soon as they id'ed the guy and sent the id to police, then he's likely got a hope. But, he was still in essence 'distributing' a snuff film. That is sketchy ground.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Again, the poor man was already dead. Magnotta acted like he ate parts of him but it was never actually shown by him (the uploader obviously). It's no justification of why some websites exist or not, just how it is.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Again, the poor man was already dead. Magnotta acted like he ate parts of him but it was never actually shown by him (the uploader obviously). It's no justification of why some websites exist or not, just how it is.

Well, I don't know whether to believe you, or the news and the law. Because the news and the law says he stabbed him repeatedly with an icepick in the video.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
He stabbed the body several times (that much he showed) and if the victim were alive, he didn't move once. Sure, could have been heavily drugged too. But it seemed to be Magnotta (evil as he is) trying present himself as even more than that. To brag.

We never see him kill nor eat the victim. The video is edited though (likely because he couldn't bring himself to kill - like perhaps it was a drug overdose, accidental or not, for example - and he wasn't sick enough to eat the man - although in his mind he likely wanted to be seen that way) so who the hell knows. What do I know beyond what I saw and heard. The police have the vid so we'll find out I guess.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Yeah, I'm sorry but you have no way of knowing if the victim was dead or drugged when he was stabbed. It's a snuff film Loc.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
I think the Canadian government is right on the money, going after this guy ...

There is no reason for this kind of material in the Internet.. What kind of sick minds want to watch that crap anyhow.. what they get off on it??

Canada does not have the same level of Free Speech as the USA, and to many Canadian think that US laws and rights somehow transcend across the line.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I don't understand why anybody with tight screws would want to see anything like that. You'd have to be seriously screwed in the head to even be curious.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Many people saw that video and it didn't show a murder. The stabbing of a corpse and cutting flesh from the buttocks.

..."corrupting morals"...gimme a break. The site has a disclaimer you agree to before even entering.

Sick sh*t!