Woman dies whilst swimming the English Channel

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
A British woman collapsed just a mile short of swimming the English Channel for charity and later died in hospital, it emerged today.

Susan Taylor, 34, had set off from Samphire Hoe near Dover at 1am on Sunday morning and got into serious difficulty at around 6pm as she entered Wissant Bay, near Cap Gris-Nez on the north coast of France.

She was pulled on to a support boat by the crew, including her brother David, a trained paramedic who fought desperately to save her. Her husband Stephen, 43, was also on board.

Mrs Taylor, an accountant from Barwell, Leicestershire, was then flown to hospital in Boulogne by helicopter where she was declared dead at around 7pm.

The full horror of the tragedy played out in real time on Facebook where supporters were following Mrs Taylor's attempt through an online progress tracker.

When it stopped updating, friends of the accountant began to post anxious messages.

Susan Taylor, 34, died as she neared the end of a charity swim across the English Channel

About 6pm, one wrote: 'The track has had a blip I hope...' before adding: 'Now I am concerned. Two points showing travel as fast as a boat... Oh Susan I do hope everything is ok.'

An hour later, another added: 'Getting very nervous now, hope Susan is OK.'

Concerned friends added messages and continued to show support for Mrs Taylor - nicknamed 'Nemo' after the Disney Pixar character - while pleading for information.

'Hope all is ok??? Tracker has stopped!!! Susan you are a star xxx,' one wrote while another added: 'Can't get update but you are an amazing athlete & fund-raiser no matter what. Good on you Susan x x'.

Speaking at the family home today, Mrs Taylor's father, 68-year-old Arthur Wright, said: 'I'm devastated. I've lost the best person in the world. She was just wonderful.'

Ms Taylor's progress team posted this picture during her swim, writing: 'Easy way versus the hard way!!!!! Susan definitely deserves the easy way next time!!! She's doing fab :)'

An online map tracking Ms Taylor's progress appeared to show that her support boat had suddenly sped up and sailed in a different direction towards land