Alberta-born actor, Cory Monteith, 31, found dead in Vancouver hotel room

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Glee’s Cory Monteith found dead in Vancouver hotel room

Canadian actor Cory Monteith once admitted that he was lucky to be alive after battling a fierce, at times paralyzing addiction to drugs.

The 31-year-old Glee star’s death in a Vancouver hotel room over the weekend has lead to intense speculation that his luck may have finally run out. But it won’t be until later this week that an autopsy will reveal exactly how he died.

The actor, who rose to fame on the hit musical show playing quarterback Finn Hudson, was found by hotel staff after he failed to check out of his room.

Vancouver police have said foul play is unlikely. Video surveillance shows that he returned to the room by himself early Saturday morning. B.C.’s chief coroner, Lisa Lapointe, said further tests would be needed to determine how Monteith died. An autopsy is scheduled for Monday.

“The exact nature of those examinations will depend on investigative findings within the next day or two as information is gathered from medical records and discussions with family take place,” she said.

Monteith however, had openly discussed his battles with drug use — a habit which he started at the age of 13.

In April, Monteith told People magazine that he had voluntarily admitted himself into “a treatment facility for substance addiction.”

It wasn’t his first time in rehab. He was also treated when he was 19 and had talked openly about his addiction struggles, saying he had a serious problem and took just “anything and everything.”

He told Parade magazine in 2011 that he was “lucky to be alive.”

His death caused an outpouring on social media from friends, fans and from the Hollywood community. A RIP Corey Monteith page on Facebook had garnered more than half a million likes within hours on Sunday.

“Cory Monteith, may your spirt be at peace, and may you fly with the angels . . . Heartbreaking, my prayers are with all of his loved ones!” wrote pop singer Rihanna on Twitter.

“Speechless. And for the worst reason,” wrote rumoured former girlfriend Taylor Swift.

Kristen Chenoweth, a frequent Glee collaborator wrote “RIP CoryMonteith. You Will be loved. Always.”

The producers of Glee and Fox network released a joint statement saying: “We are deeply saddened by this tragic news. Cory was an exceptional talent and an even more exceptional person.”

Monteith’s fellow Glee cast members also took to Twitter shortly after the news of his death broke.

“I am so saddened to hear about Cory. He was such a great guy/Super-kind &warm,” wrote Josh Sussman, who plays Jacob on the show. “A tragic loss. My heart goes out to all his friends & family.”

Nolan Gerard Funk, an actor from Vancouver who joined the Glee cast last year, tweeted: “Thanks for always being kind Cory. You came a long way from hanging on the beaches in Vancouver with the gang pre Glee. Sending you love bud.”

Even acting Vancouver police Chief Doug LePard who officially announced the death at a press conference, added a personal note.

“I watched Glee regularly with my daughters, and I know there will be shock and sadness in many households with the news of his tragic death,” LePard said.

Monteith, who was born in Calgary and raised in Victoria, joined the cast of Glee when the series started in 2009.

The former Walmart greeter, roofer and car wash attendant had the kind of back story that did not need embellishment to qualify for a script right out of the show.

“I had a million different jobs,” he told talk show host Ellen DeGeneres.

After dropping out in Grade 9 and doing odd jobs over the years, he was at risk of being homeless in Vancouver while he tried to eke out a living. But he never forgot his time on the streets, pushing for a National Youth Homelessness Awareness Day in Canada.

“I definitely experienced a marginalized situation. I was not homeless, but I was definitely at risk,” he said.

He drove down to California to audition for Glee although he had never sung on camera before. He auditioned using drum sticks and Tupperware containers and got the part.

During his early career Monteith had minor roles in Final Destination 3, Whisper and Deck the Halls, and had a recurring role in Kyle X.

At the time of his death Monteith was working on the fifth season of Glee. His girlfriend on and off the screen was co-starGlee co-star Lea Michelle.

“I love and support Cory and will stand by him through this,” Michele told People when he went into rehab earlier this year.

A representative for Michele released a statement requesting that “everyone kindly respect Lea’s privacy during this devastating time.”

It’s unclear how producers will manage without the popular star.

In his unlikely career Monteith has played cover versions of everyone from singer Bruno Mars to rock group Journey. His tribute of “Don’t Stop Believing” in season one has become an anthem for the show.

source: Glee’s Cory Monteith found dead in Vancouver hotel room | Toronto Star

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Glee’s Cory Monteith found dead in Vancouver hotel room

Canadian actor Cory Monteith once admitted that he was lucky to be alive after battling a fierce, at times paralyzing addiction to drugs.

The 31-year-old Glee star’s death in a Vancouver hotel room over the weekend has lead to intense speculation that his luck may have finally run out. But it won’t be until later this week that an autopsy will reveal exactly how he died.

The actor, who rose to fame on the hit musical show playing quarterback Finn Hudson, was found by hotel staff after he failed to check out of his room.

Vancouver police have said foul play is unlikely. Video surveillance shows that he returned to the room by himself early Saturday morning. B.C.’s chief coroner, Lisa Lapointe, said further tests would be needed to determine how Monteith died. An autopsy is scheduled for Monday.

“The exact nature of those examinations will depend on investigative findings within the next day or two as information is gathered from medical records and discussions with family take place,” she said.

Monteith however, had openly discussed his battles with drug use — a habit which he started at the age of 13.

In April, Monteith told People magazine that he had voluntarily admitted himself into “a treatment facility for substance addiction.”

It wasn’t his first time in rehab. He was also treated when he was 19 and had talked openly about his addiction struggles, saying he had a serious problem and took just “anything and everything.”

He told Parade magazine in 2011 that he was “lucky to be alive.”

His death caused an outpouring on social media from friends, fans and from the Hollywood community. A RIP Corey Monteith page on Facebook had garnered more than half a million likes within hours on Sunday.

“Cory Monteith, may your spirt be at peace, and may you fly with the angels . . . Heartbreaking, my prayers are with all of his loved ones!” wrote pop singer Rihanna on Twitter.

“Speechless. And for the worst reason,” wrote rumoured former girlfriend Taylor Swift.

Kristen Chenoweth, a frequent Glee collaborator wrote “RIP CoryMonteith. You Will be loved. Always.”

The producers of Glee and Fox network released a joint statement saying: “We are deeply saddened by this tragic news. Cory was an exceptional talent and an even more exceptional person.”

Monteith’s fellow Glee cast members also took to Twitter shortly after the news of his death broke.

“I am so saddened to hear about Cory. He was such a great guy/Super-kind &warm,” wrote Josh Sussman, who plays Jacob on the show. “A tragic loss. My heart goes out to all his friends & family.”

Nolan Gerard Funk, an actor from Vancouver who joined the Glee cast last year, tweeted: “Thanks for always being kind Cory. You came a long way from hanging on the beaches in Vancouver with the gang pre Glee. Sending you love bud.”

Even acting Vancouver police Chief Doug LePard who officially announced the death at a press conference, added a personal note.

“I watched Glee regularly with my daughters, and I know there will be shock and sadness in many households with the news of his tragic death,” LePard said.

Monteith, who was born in Calgary and raised in Victoria, joined the cast of Glee when the series started in 2009.

The former Walmart greeter, roofer and car wash attendant had the kind of back story that did not need embellishment to qualify for a script right out of the show.

“I had a million different jobs,” he told talk show host Ellen DeGeneres.

After dropping out in Grade 9 and doing odd jobs over the years, he was at risk of being homeless in Vancouver while he tried to eke out a living. But he never forgot his time on the streets, pushing for a National Youth Homelessness Awareness Day in Canada.

“I definitely experienced a marginalized situation. I was not homeless, but I was definitely at risk,” he said.

He drove down to California to audition for Glee although he had never sung on camera before. He auditioned using drum sticks and Tupperware containers and got the part.

During his early career Monteith had minor roles in Final Destination 3, Whisper and Deck the Halls, and had a recurring role in Kyle X.

At the time of his death Monteith was working on the fifth season of Glee. His girlfriend on and off the screen was co-starGlee co-star Lea Michelle.

“I love and support Cory and will stand by him through this,” Michele told People when he went into rehab earlier this year.

A representative for Michele released a statement requesting that “everyone kindly respect Lea’s privacy during this devastating time.”

It’s unclear how producers will manage without the popular star.

In his unlikely career Monteith has played cover versions of everyone from singer Bruno Mars to rock group Journey. His tribute of “Don’t Stop Believing” in season one has become an anthem for the show.

source: Glee’s Cory Monteith found dead in Vancouver hotel room | Toronto Star

I hope the young kids are paying attention!

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I don't watch but I'd seen him a few times on television in interviews. It's a shame, he really did seem like a nice guy.Far too young.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I don't watch but I'd seen him a few times on television in interviews. It's a shame, he really did seem like a nice guy.Far too young.

Just one more victim of one of the biggest problems society has today. I think it's one that ALL citizens have to get behind to clean up, instead of everyone thinking there is nothing we can do about it. The effects are many times worse than "climate change", yet there is far less interest in cleaning it up.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Just one more victim of one of the biggest problems society has today. I think it's one that ALL citizens have to get behind to clean up, instead of everyone thinking there is nothing we can do about it. The effects are many times worse than "climate change", yet there is far less interest in cleaning it up.

What ever happen to these great commercials.

This Is Your Brain On Drugs (Original) - YouTube

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
What ever happen to these great commercials.

This Is Your Brain On Drugs (Original) - YouTube

I think commercials probably impress kids under 12. We have to start using lethal force to solve this problem. A bomb under every Hell's Angel's club house would be a start, and then systematically move onto every other gang. And then give every survivor 20 years hard labour. I think that would "paint" a picture that is hard to ignore.

Omicron

Privy Council
Jul 28, 2010
Vancouver

I have cousins in Montana, and they say the state's economy would be shut down if they didn't have immigrant workers, because everyone else under the age of 30 is hooked on meth.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I have cousins in Montana, and they say the state's economy would be shut down if they didn't have immigrant workers, because everyone else under the age of 30 is hooked on meth.

Oh, I wouldn't have thought 100% of Montana's native population under 30 is hooked on meth. -:)

Omicron

Privy Council
Jul 28, 2010
Vancouver
What a suprise it would have been if someone found dead in a Vancouver hotel had *not* died of a heroin overdose.

I've known a few junkies in Vancouver, and they said the biggest problem with the Vancouver heroin-trade has been tourists not understanding how strong the stuff is. They'd speak with pride about the purity of Vancouver heroin.

*Sigh*... of all the things for a city to be proud of...

Last edited:

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
I hope the young kids are paying attention!

Doubt it. They didnt pay much attention when Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix and Jim Morrison died. Hell if you want to go further back they didnt pay attention when Hank Williams Sr died. Same today. In the last ten years or so there was Heath Ledger, Michael Jackson, Amy Winehouse and now this guy. I doubt he will be the last. Its been a common cause of death for celebrities. Most probably think they'll be like Charlie Sheen or Keith Richards and just keep going no matter what.

I hadnt heard of this guy either. Theyve been playing interviews of him a fair bit on the radio and tv lately and I recognized one of them. Never cared for Glee though.

I think commercials probably impress kids under 12. We have to start using lethal force to solve this problem. A bomb under every Hell's Angel's club house would be a start, and then systematically move onto every other gang. And then give every survivor 20 years hard labour. I think that would "paint" a picture that is hard to ignore.

ha. Good luck with that. That is more or less what they are trying to do in Mexico. It isnt working. Now you have drug cartels more or less in power in some parts of the country. Im fine with having it all legal. Everyone knows how dangerous heroin and other substances are. If they still want to do it -knock yourself out (or off as the case may be).

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
What a suprise it would have been if someone found dead in a Vancouver hotel had *not* died of a heroin overdose.

I've known a few junkies in Vancouver, and they'll say the biggest problem with the Vancouver heroin-trade had been tourists not understanding how strong the stuff is. They'll speak with pride about the purity of Vancouver heroin.

*Sigh*... of all the things for a city to be proud of...

This is no subject to be joking about, we can speculate whatever we like about drug addicts, but only the addicts knows about it. I just want to see pushers given a severe sentence and the only way this problem is going to get cleaned up is if every citizen insists on it. I'm sending an email to my Premier and M.L.A. right now. I'd bet if ten thousand emails landed on their desk in the next two days, something would be done about it. "Squeaky wheel gets the oil"

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
This is no subject to be joking about, we can speculate whatever we like about drug addicts, but only the addicts knows about it. I just want to see pushers given a severe sentence and the only way this problem is going to get cleaned up is if every citizen insists on it. I'm sending an email to my Premier and M.L.A. right now. I'd bet if ten thousand emails landed on their desk in the next two days, something would be done about it. "Squeaky wheel gets the oil"

Possible. Given you want increased criminal penalties the federal government would probably be a better place to send these emails and letters.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Why were his results moved to a must do, high priority when others wait for weeks or months.
No hint of foul play, previous drug problems from what I gather.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Doubt it. They didnt pay much attention when Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix and Jim Morrison died. Hell if you want to go further back they didnt pay attention when Hank Williams Sr died. Same today. In the last ten years or so there was Heath Ledger, Michael Jackson, Amy Winehouse and now this guy. I doubt he will be the last. Its been a common cause of death for celebrities. Most probably think they'll be like Charlie Sheen or Keith Richards and just keep going no matter what.

Maybe some of the people who are alive today did pay attention! -:)

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Why were his results moved to a must do, high priority when others wait for weeks or months.
No hint of foul play, previous drug problems from what I gather.

So as to not create even more backlog with media sniffing around for a story for weeks, is my assumption.

His was probably a pretty cut and dry autopsy. Needle sticking out of arm, paraphernalia about, just rule out foul play and pronounce. Whereas there are probably more complicated cases waiting for an indepth investigation, which would be hard to do with the phones ringing off the hook trying to get the scoop first.