Broadcaster Alan Whicker dies at 87

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

His spokeswoman said he died in the early hours of Friday morning at his home in Jersey.

With a TV career that stretched nearly six decades, he was best known for his long-running documentary series, Whicker's World.

The show, which ran from 1959 to 1988 on both the BBC and ITV, saw him travel all over the world.

The series featured Whicker reporting on the unusual and bizarre, interviewing all types of people from millionaires and monks to gangsters and dictators.

He once said he counted himself one of the luckiest men in the world because he enjoyed his work so much.

Valerie Kleeman, Whicker's partner of more than 40 years, said she was "lucky to have shared" his life.

"A few years ago a poll asked who was the most envied man in the country - and Alan won by a country mile!" she said.

more

BBC News - Broadcaster Alan Whicker dies at 87

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
I should get my kids into broadcast news. Everyone thinks you're a genius, travel the world and retire to the Senate with all kinds of decorations and all you gotta do is read off a teleprompter with a straight face.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
I should get my kids into broadcast news. Everyone thinks you're a genius, travel the world and retire to the Senate with all kinds of decorations and all you gotta do is read off a teleprompter with a straight face.

Earl Camembert did very well too.