Hate crimes down for second straight year

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Jews still winning the religious hate category but still...we must be loving each other more. Well, except for Peterborough and Hamilton. They be real mad there for some reason.

Hate crimes down for second straight year: StatsCan

Hate crimes reported to police declined for the second straight year in 2011, newly released data from Statistics Canada show, with mischief the most common type of hate offence.

Police forces across the country dealt with a total of 1,332 reported hate crimes in 2011 — 3.9 hate crimes per 100,000 people, a rate 5% lower than in 2010, StatsCan said Thursday.

more

Hate crimes down for second straight year: StatsCan | Home | Toronto Sun

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
I would ahve liked to see more statistical analysis addressing, for instance, why Peterborough was so high. More Jews/square inch?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I find the notion of a "hate crime" to be a very bizarre concept. I mean, regular everyday crime is not about deep abiding love or even fluffy bunny feelings. I think having Hate Crimes on the books kind of makes it (it being criminal law) too political, because it's really all about the politicians using it to score points. They do that anyway but why give them an inch when they take a mile to begin with.

I think the criminal laws we have are completely sufficient and, should there be justifiable reason to believe that a victim was targeted due to being part of some minority group (because it does happen), there should be a provision for 'special circumstances' with perhaps increased punishment meted out accordingly. Or am I missing something here?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
The way I see it is that hate and love are just opposite sides of the same coin. You can't hate someone you don't love. "Hate" crimes are more about fear and ignorance. I think hate crime is a misnomer. Also, it usually involves someone who is offended, which seems to me to be more about lack of self esteem. Then there are those who use hate crime as a weapon against anybody who disagrees with them, or are trying to hide their own bigotry. I think SLM is right. (BTW: love your avatar.)