Walmart employee fired after reporting dog in hot truck

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
A former employee of Walmart in Kemptville, Ont., says she was fired for confronting a customer who left a dog in a truck on a hot day this week.

"[The manager said I was fired] because I was rude to a customer, but I felt because I was not even on the clock, it shouldn't have been an issue anyways. And I don't think it should be an issue even if I was on the clock … because it's on the news and we're being told not to leave animals and children in cars.

Walmart employee fired after reporting dog in hot truck - Ottawa - CBC News

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I see a wal-mart manager who will be looking for a different job in the near future if anyone needs one you should act fast before this guy is snapped up.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Wal-Mart is a good employer so I'm betting this former employee had a track record of rudeness and/or incompetence.

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
I see a wal-mart manager who will be looking for a different job in the near future if anyone needs one you should act fast before this guy is snapped up.

YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING.
The 'manager' peed off half the dog lovers in town trying to please one 'reddnekk kustomer'. Hire him to do what, Nick???

If you park with your pets in the vehicle, you turn on the a/c, put a big sign in the truck window saying pet on board, A/c on.

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
Though she did the right thing in reporting the situation, it wasn't her responsibility to confront a customer. Hopefully, Walmart might take a sober second look.

Walmart is BRAIN DEAD.

You park the girl in the back warehouse, put out a press release saying that warning signs are going up in the parking lot about leaving pets in a safe condition.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
It doesn't take much to get fired from Walmart. There's a lot of turnover. 70% leave or are laid off/fired in the first year. It's just the way they operate.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Though she did the right thing in reporting the situation, it wasn't her responsibility to confront a customer. Hopefully, Walmart might take a sober second look.

its the responsibility of 'all of us' to act upon this particular situation immediately, as, if she
had reported it, there is no guarantee anyone would have done anything about it.

she should not have told the dog owner she was a walmart employee, its none of his business, its
his responsibility to care for his dog properly.

its just too bad there are many people who cannot tolerate 'anyone' saying anything to them about
their actions or inactions, without going into a snit over it, why would he have to report her at all,
what is so bad about the employee mentioning it to him, and if he had the A/C on he could have told her,
and shown her,end of story, both people would have been satisfied.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING.
The 'manager' peed off half the dog lovers in town trying to please one 'reddnekk kustomer'. Hire him to do what, Nick???

Sorry, should have posted in purple. ;-)

It doesn't take much to get fired from Walmart. There's a lot of turnover. 70% leave or are laid off/fired in the first year. It's just the way they operate.

Usually they are let go right before they are due a raise or qualify for benefits. Not really ethical but not illegal either. :roll:

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
next time she should have a brick in her car and put it through the window... apparently they don't charge you if an animal or child is in danger.

The part I find particularly disturbing is that when she was fired she was not told about her severance. To me that would indicate that it was perhaps a spur of the minute decision and done improperly. She should have been given written notice explaining everything. Some manager did not do their job correctly here. The young girl presents well. They had best mend fences with her rapidly.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
next time she should have a brick in her car and put it through the window... apparently they don't charge you if an animal or child is in danger.

The part I find particularly disturbing is that when she was fired she was not told about her severance. To me that would indicate that it was perhaps a spur of the minute decision and done improperly. She should have been given written notice explaining everything. Some manager did not do their job correctly here. The young girl presents well. They had best mend fences with her rapidly.

I am pretty sure from the article it was a snap-decision. Given that the manager told her to come to him first in future she hadn't lost her job at that point. It was only after she refused to go through the manager in further instances he told her she was fired. I would say she has a reasonable case for wrongful dismissal and will most likely be looking at some sort of settlement.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I am pretty sure from the article it was a snap-decision. Given that the manager told her to come to him first in future she hadn't lost her job at that point. It was only after she refused to go through the manager in further instances he told her she was fired. I would say she has a reasonable case for wrongful dismissal and will most likely be looking at some sort of settlement.
Yeah I was kind of flabbergasted, I would have reamed that manager from here and into next month because there are standard procedures to be used when firing, it's a step by step procedure and you can't deviate from it by even a hair and this particular manager did not follow any of them..lol