Perhaps legal driving age should be dropped to 11!

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I coached minor hockey for a number of years. One year we had a 13 year old who was 5' - 11" and he shaved. Would have easily passed for 18.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
My parents taught me when I was 12 or 13 on a dusty remote road in Saskatchewan. Didn't read the article but if she was off road, I don't really see the issue.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
My parents taught me when I was 12 or 13 on a dusty remote road in Saskatchewan. Didn't read the article but if she was off road, I don't really see the issue.
When I was about that age, something happened that you wouldn't see now....Highway 11 up north wasn't as busy then as it is now.
Coming back from town where my Dad had a few too many, we got pulled over by the O.P.P. because my dad when he drank drove real slow.....
Since we were only one mile from the concession road where we lived, the officer looks at me and asks if I knew how to drive a standard (He knew us farm kids drove tractors around anyway)
He followed us to the house while I drove and just gave my Dad a warning.....
Them good old days.........

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Having read the article .... the parents were unaware that their 11 year old was driving their neighbour around? So the kid would disappear and they wouldn't know where he went? Doesn't sound right unless that was just their excuse to the cops.

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
At least two states, New Mexico and Utah, licensed drivers at 14, well into the 1970's.

But, this neighbor was wrong to do that without telling the kids parents.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
When I was about that age, something happened that you wouldn't see now....Highway 11 up north wasn't as busy then as it is now.
Coming back from town where my Dad had a few too many, we got pulled over by the O.P.P. because my dad when he drank drove real slow.....
Since we were only one mile from the concession road where we lived, the officer looks at me and asks if I knew how to drive a standard (He knew us farm kids drove tractors around anyway)
He followed us to the house while I drove and just gave my Dad a warning.....
Them good old days.........

They don't seem to have the same sense of humour any more!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I was around the same age when tossed the keys to the 10 ton grain truck, prior to that I was running the JD 2010 for few years.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
my guy was driving a tractor by the time he was six...mind you that was a long long time ago but I am sure he was on the road at an *cough* early age...

the kid obviously was an okay driver...which doesn't take much these days considering the idjits out there

I doubt the parents knew...he likely just said he was going next door to help out with chores and it was likely "their little secret". He will have a great memory for life.

I remember them catching some kid a few years ago and he had taken the family car to visit grandma in I think it was Hamilton.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I drove young, and my daughter started driving around the acreage by 12. But never on roads. My son will be taught this summer as well, as he's turning 12 too. I don't think anyone can rationally defend her letting a kid that young drive in the city to run errands though, especially if he was so small as to immediately grab a cop's attention. Now, my son, not quite 12, has already outgrown me, so he could probably pass, in other words, see over the steering wheel and reach the pedals, but most kids his age couldn't.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I was around the same age when tossed the keys to the 10 ton grain truck, prior to that I was running the JD 2010 for few years.
My sisters and I all started learning to drive on the farm around ages 11 to 12 depending on whether we could reach the pedals of Dad's old International pick-up. By age 14 we could drive the PU, the grain truck, the tractor and the combine. If I remember correctly though, Dad had to get some kind of dispensation in order for us to cross public roads in order to reach our fields on the other side.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
He needs a dad that will backhand him until he's black and blue.
he is going to a very very bad place, but then again, he likely has come from a very very bad place as mum has lost custody to grandma and the kid was mad at mum. 'bout says it all right there