Female inmates sterilized in California prisons without approval

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Doctors under contract with the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation sterilized nearly 150 female inmates from 2006 to 2010 without required state approvals, the Center for Investigative Reporting has found.

At least 148 women received tubal ligations in violation of prison rules during those five years – and there are perhaps 100 more dating back to the late 1990s, according to state documents and interviews.

From 1997 to 2010, the state paid doctors $147,460 to perform the procedure, according to a database of contracted medical services for state prisoners.

more

Female inmates sterilized in California prisons without approval - Health and Medicine - The Sacramento Bee

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Sound like they took a page out of Alberta's book on sterilizing aboriginal girls and women a few decade ago.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Am I missing something here. How does the state have a right to sterilize anyone without their consent.

Because in the USA if your are in prison, you lose the right to vote and you're just the property of the state.. sub-class Citizen.

I think the state is playing Eugenics by selecting the degenerates in society, and sterilizing them.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Doctors under contract with the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation sterilized nearly 150 female inmates from 2006 to 2010 without required state approvals, the Center for Investigative Reporting has found.

At least 148 women received tubal ligations in violation of prison rules during those five years – and there are perhaps 100 more dating back to the late 1990s, according to state documents and interviews.

From 1997 to 2010, the state paid doctors $147,460 to perform the procedure, according to a database of contracted medical services for state prisoners.

more

Female inmates sterilized in California prisons without approval - Health and Medicine - The Sacramento Bee

Appalling. I can acept hard labour. I can even accept capital punishment in some cases. But this here is criminal on the part of the state.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Am I missing something here. How does the state have a right to sterilize anyone without their consent.
they agreed to it...

the one woman had five kids and multiple prison sentences, she agreed and then later regretted it.:roll:

what am I missing here?

Appalling. I can acept hard labour. I can even accept capital punishment in some cases. But this here is criminal on the part of the state.
why?...it's free birth control for the rest of their lives

but hard labour is okey dokey? wtf?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

more

IF the women had it done on their own volition, Good. If not it could be a "slippery slope".

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
they agreed to it...

the one woman had five kids and multiple prison sentences, she agreed and then later regretted it.:roll:

what am I missing here?

So the issue here is the patient agreed but they did not have the proper paperwork from the state to do the procedure? If this is the case, this isn't a human rights issue, its a buracracy issue which of really no interest to me. I really don't care if form N78A34-2B was filled out correctly and submitted in triplicate to mailbox 47 on the 2nd Tuesday of the month.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
they agreed to it...

what am I missing here?

A woman had five kids while she was in prison? Sounds like terminal stupidity to me. Sounds like some sort of enforced birth control is in order. If the kids are as stupid as she is, she is probably turning out a whole new generation of inmates.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
they agreed to it...

what am I missing here?

If they agreed to it, fair enough. I missed that part.

As for hard labour, that lasts only during the period of the sentence, and that's assuming that skills training is not preferable. But there is the point that if we have to work, so should they.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
A woman had five kids while she was in prison? Sounds like terminal stupidity to me. Sounds like some sort of enforced birth control is in order. If the kids are as stupid as she is, she is probably turning out a whole new generation of inmates.

A point I seem to have missed is that a woman who has five kids while in prison is obviously retarded. Kindest thing they could do is sterilization.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
A point I seem to have missed is that a woman who has five kids while in prison is obviously retarded. Kindest thing they could do is sterilization.

"Retarded" might be a little extreme, but definitely not the brightest candle on the cake!

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Ok I read the article and definitely coersion was involved. I can certainly understand the case for sterilization of mothers with five kids, but still, sterilization is such a personal thing, it is totally wrong of the state to try to pressure a woman to be sterilized, end of story.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Ok I read the article and definitely coersion was involved. I can certainly understand the case for sterilization of mothers with five kids, but still, sterilization is such a personal thing, it is totally wrong of the state to try to pressure a woman to be sterilized, end of story.

But it's also totally correct of the state to try to keep taxes on its citizens as low as possible.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
they agreed to it...

what am I missing here?

What you're missing is that they didn't go to the doc and ask for it, they were pressured and coerced into it. Some of these women were obviously not of a mental capacity to make an informed decision which is even worse. It is state-sponsored eugenics and absolutely appalling.

Are you ok if the province forces a ligation onto your daughter or granddaughter because I think you are stupid and I don't want the gene pool filled with your progeny? I think not.

So you would sterilize all 'retards'. You are digging a deep hole here Jaun, might want to drop that shovel before you can't climb out.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
What you're missing is that they didn't go to the doc and ask for it, they were pressured and coerced into it. Some of these women were obviously not of a mental capacity to make an informed decision which is even worse. It is state-sponsored eugenics and absolutely appalling.

Are you ok if the province forces a ligation onto your daughter or granddaughter because I think you are stupid and I don't want the gene pool filled with your progeny? I think not.

So you would sterilize all 'retards'. You are digging a deep hole here Jaun, might want to drop that shovel before you can't climb out.

"Stupid" doesn't have much to do with it as it is just a sideline with these woman, it's bad enough the taxpayer has to support these women while incarcerated without having to also support their progeny. There are better places for the money to go.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

First, we don't have compulsory ligation in Canada. Second, who cares what you think?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
But it's also totally correct of the state to try to keep taxes on its citizens as low as possible.

Within reason.

I don't know. There may be a case for forced steriliazation, but I'd really have to think about that one.