Britain swelters

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Considering that Toronto is only 70 degrees at the moment - and the vast, northern arctic areas of Canada are probably MINUS 70 degrees at the moment - Canadians will probably be crying out for temperatures of 84 degrees, like it is where I am in Bolton right now.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Britain's Met Office has issued a heatwave warning for the elderly, sick and young children to take care in high temperatures as Britain continues to sizzle.

For the second weekend in a row, the weather will be sizzling. And while experts predict the heatwave will last another week, we could be in for an even longer glorious spell.

That is because hot, sunny conditions are forecast for Monday – St Swithin’s Day in the UK, which according to British folklore sets the weather pattern for the next 40 days.

Today is expected to be the hottest of the year, with temperatures of up to 90F, just shading last weekend’s highs of 84F and the 85.8F on Monday in Edenfel, County Tyrone.

It will see Britons continuing to make the most of the great outdoors – sales of barbecue equipment and sun lotion have already soared.

Waitrose has reported a 450 per cent rise in charcoal sales, while suncream sales have gone up 262 per cent.

The highest temperatures today are expected in the South, with isolated thunderstorms forecast for eastern areas and slightly cooler temperatures in the North.

Tomorrow will be a bit cooler, with a peak of 82F in the South, but it could be back near 86F on Monday.

And folklore aside, forecasters expect the area of high pressure bringing the hot weather to stay over Britain for at least another week.

As Britain enjoyed a second sizzling weekend in a row, Ben Partridge and Carmen Croxall chilled out on these huge deckchairs on the beach at Budleigh Salterton in Devon

Adam Fewster-Noble, 13, was joined by his father Rob to go kayaking in Scarborough, North Yorkshire earlier today

Molly, a golden retriever, splashed around during a game of fetch on the beach as she enjoys the glorious weather in Scarborough

In Scarborough one dog-walker took off her shoes for a barefoot stroll on the beach, left, while Adam Fewster-Noble, 13, was an early riser to take his kayak out

The highest temperatures today are expected in the South, with isolated thunderstorms forecast for eastern areas and slightly cooler temperatures in the North.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I heard it was humid and they don't have air conditioning, people who are sick will have no respite.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
As I am far too young to know what 85F is, I translated this anachronism into an understandable equivalent of just under 30C. In most parts of summer Canada, 30C is the bare minimum temperature for vigorous exercise without wrapping up in scarf and toque. Surely the British, who were left after their countless compatriots emigrated by wisdom or conviction, are made of sterner stuff.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
As I am far too young to know what 85F is, I translated this anachronism into an understandable equivalent of just under 30C.

How can a way of measuring temperature be "anachronistic"?

Farenheit is a much better way of measuring the temperature when it comes to weather. If fits along the 0-100 scale better. If someone says that it's 85 degrees today, you go: "Wow, it's a scorcher!" But if a numpty uses its celsius equivalent and says that it's 30 degrees today, you go "30 degrees? It's not that hot. It was 85 degrees yesterday". 30 degrees makes me feel chilly. 85 degrees makes me feel warm.

What especially gets me irritated is those people in Britain who measure their height in metres and centimetres. They say: "I'm 1 metre, 80 centimetres tall" (which is around 6 foot tall in Queen's English) and I think "Really? Good for you" as I have no idea what they are talking about.

The BBC is bad for using those silly foreign measures that nobody understands.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Right now (11:30am) it's only 79 and feels like 91. How's that man? :lol:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The heatwave in Britain has claimed lives.

Two soldiers were ‘marched to death’ in a gruelling SAS selection exercise on the hottest day of the year.

The soldiers, from the Territorial Army (which is soon to have its name changed to the Army Reserve and be increased in size), were among six men to collapse with heat exhaustion in the Brecon Beacons mountain range.

All six were flown to hospital where two were pronounced dead and a third was fighting for his life.

Two soldiers died in the Brecon Beacons during a training exercise on what was the hottest day of the year, the Ministry of Defence has said (file picture)

Around 100 Territorial Army troops took part in Saturday’s exercise in rugged terrain 2,900ft above sea level, close to Pen Y Fan, the highest peak in South Wales and southern Britain.

Commanders put them through brutal physical trials, including long runs in body armour while carrying weapons, ammunition and battlefield equipment weighing more than 100lbs.

But, as temperatures hit 86F, the casualties started to pile up. An RAF Sea King helicopter was deployed immediately along with a civilian air ambulance to ferry the victims to hospital at Merthyr Tydfil.

Expertise: Colonel Richard Kemp, who commanded British troops in Afghanistan, said the gruelling SAS tryout 'push soldiers to the extreme'

Last night the tragedy was being investigated by the Ministry of Defence and Dyfed-Powys Police. The families have been informed.

An MOD spokeswoman said they will not cancel any exercises as a result of the deaths, but would not say whether any extra safety measures had been implemented in the wake of the tragedy.

She said: 'Routine exercises will continue.'

One Army officer said: ‘The troops are desperate to prove they are up to joining the SAS and push themselves harder and harder. They are encouraged to by the instructors who are unforgiving.

‘There is going to be a huge inquiry into what happened because on the face of it these lads look like they’ve been marched to death.

‘More should be done to ensure these needless tragedies don’t occur.’

The men, who were seeking entry to an SAS reserve unit, collapsed in hills near the town of Brecon.

A defence source said: ‘It is a case of the people succumbing to the training that they were doing.

'We have health and safety procedures in place for everything but that must be balanced against the fact we are training people to go into extremely challenging environments.

‘We don’t go out of our way to kill people but we have to put them in tough situations because that is what they will be facing on operations.’

The Brecon Beacons are a notoriously inhospitable area for army training operations and are used by both regular units and the special forces.

Sources indicated the tragedy was caused by heat exhaustion. A third soldier remains in hospital

The men became ill close to Pen y Fan (Welsh for "top of this place"), which at 2,900 feet is the highest mountain in South Wales and southern Britain

Gruelling beauty: Army chiefs say the rugged and sprawling terrain helps prepare soldiers physically and mentally

Matthew Dorrance, Mayor of Brecon, said the town was reeling from the tragedy.

He said: 'There is a historic link between Brecon and the armed forces and we're proud of that. In fact, various regiments have the freedom of the county and Brecon and news like this shakes us to our core.

'More or less everyone in Brecon knows someone who has served and the community is shocked by what's happened, and deeply moved.'

In January, Captain Rob Carnegie was found dead on the mountain range’s snow-covered Corn Du peak.

He was taking part in a gruelling 40-mile march in freezing conditions as part of a selection process for the SAS when he collapsed.

Last edited:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The men became ill close to Pen y Fan (Welsh for "top of this place"), which at 2,900 feet is the highest mountain in South Wales and southern Britain
LMAO...we higher hills in Saskatchewan

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Right outside our window, in the shade, it is +32C., with a humidex of about 40 or so. Bit of a breeze just sprung up, but it just blows the heat around. Definitely not nice no matter how ya cuts it.

My wife's cousin, lives in Worthing, UK. She said it was +30C Monday past. We get that every year, but they're not used to it.

I can't imagine Arizona................yikes.

+32C = 89.6F.