UPDATE: In Case you are feeling sorry for Paula Deen

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Oh, boo hoo....

I never did feel sorry for her and after reading this it's confirmed...she is crying because of money lost not remorse.

With her recent firing by Wal-Mart, Sears, Target, Home Depot, Caesar’s Entertainment, drug maker Novo Nordisk and QVC, the home shopping channel, to name just a few, Paula Deen reminds us that the celebrity-sponsorship game is a baffling business.
And that’s describing it charitably.
There’s no mystery in any of the firings, of which Deen is only the latest in a long line of exceedingly dubious celebs to be quickly dumped when their cynicism becomes so noxious that it threatens to spill over and stain the good name of their sponsor. In Deen’s case, of course, it was her acknowledgment during a lawsuit hearing that she had used the n-word on more than one occasion in the past.
News of her admission immediately garnered headlines, and within days the deep-fried-cooking queen was dropped by the Food Network, starting a cascade of ripped-up endorsement deals, each one shredding another slice off of her US$17-million annual income.
It’s believed that losing Food Network’s backing alone will cost Deen US$2.5 million . Her now-severed Smithfield Foods contract, the most lucrative of her 17 sponsorships, was reported to be worth up to US$2-million a year.
In total, it’s estimated that Deen’s ill-chosen words will reduce her earnings by as much US$10-million annually.
As said, there’s no mystique there. That’s just math. The deeply unclear component is why companies are so cavalier when picking spokespeople for their brands in the first place?
The pharmaceutical giant Novo Nordisk, a leading producer of diabetes medications, signed Deen to a US$6-million deal last year to shill for its Victoza drug. Now obviously it’s in Novo Nordisk’s best interests for more people to need diabetes medication, but how desperately cynically do you have to be to sponsor a star who has built her entire celebrity around extolling the splendors of bacon-wrapped, deep-friend macaroni-and-cheese, and other calorie bombs, all of which are among the most damaging dishes anyone with diabetes should eat.
And if you were fine with that, given the new business it would drum up, but just couldn’t abide Deen’s racial language, why not question the deal nine months ago, when she appeared on a New York Times video, referring to her driver and bodyguard as being “black as that board”, before beckoning him to move away from the backdrop off-stage, saying “We can’t see you standing against that dark board.”
For all of these companies now clamoring for the high ground, in a bid to separate themselves from the toxic presence that is Paula Deen, that would have been the time to move.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
In the beginning I did have some sympathy for her as she had led people to believe
that her comments were made decades ago and it was once. That turned out to be
not true. Therefore believing anything else becomes more difficult. I am more upset
with her menu suggestions than the other stuff. Eating some of that stuff will kill ya.
The whole celeb sponsor thing drives the price of everything up and I think these
companies should have to put on the label how much the cost of endorsement is.
That would put an end it. Can you imagine the howl that would go up from all these
plastic people who claim they use this or that?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
In the beginning I did have some sympathy for her as she had led people to believe
that her comments were made decades ago and it was once. That turned out to be
not true. Therefore believing anything else becomes more difficult. I am more upset
with her menu suggestions than the other stuff. Eating some of that stuff will kill ya.
The whole celeb sponsor thing drives the price of everything up and I think these
companies should have to put on the label how much the cost of endorsement is.
That would put an end it. Can you imagine the howl that would go up from all these
plastic people who claim they use this or that?
it seems that lately more and more pus keeps erupting politically and basically just the whole capitalist system...it's them and us and "them" make millions per year

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

eh, she's just a Good'ol Girl from the south..

I mean personally who has not used the word N*gg*r-rig it, here? Pretty dam common in Texas..

The Ten Weirdest Allegations From Paula Deen's Home-Cooked Racism and Sexual Harassment Complaint

But she will be O.K., she has lots of money..

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Oh, boo hoo....

I never did feel sorry for her and after reading this it's confirmed...she is crying because of money lost not remorse.

With her recent firing by Wal-Mart, Sears, Target, Home Depot, Caesar’s Entertainment, drug maker Novo Nordisk and QVC, the home shopping channel, to name just a few, Paula Deen reminds us that the celebrity-sponsorship game is a baffling business.
And that’s describing it charitably.
There’s no mystery in any of the firings, of which Deen is only the latest in a long line of exceedingly dubious celebs to be quickly dumped when their cynicism becomes so noxious that it threatens to spill over and stain the good name of their sponsor. In Deen’s case, of course, it was her acknowledgment during a lawsuit hearing that she had used the n-word on more than one occasion in the past.
News of her admission immediately garnered headlines, and within days the deep-fried-cooking queen was dropped by the Food Network, starting a cascade of ripped-up endorsement deals, each one shredding another slice off of her US$17-million annual income.
It’s believed that losing Food Network’s backing alone will cost Deen US$2.5 million . Her now-severed Smithfield Foods contract, the most lucrative of her 17 sponsorships, was reported to be worth up to US$2-million a year.
In total, it’s estimated that Deen’s ill-chosen words will reduce her earnings by as much US$10-million annually.
As said, there’s no mystique there. That’s just math. The deeply unclear component is why companies are so cavalier when picking spokespeople for their brands in the first place?
The pharmaceutical giant Novo Nordisk, a leading producer of diabetes medications, signed Deen to a US$6-million deal last year to shill for its Victoza drug. Now obviously it’s in Novo Nordisk’s best interests for more people to need diabetes medication, but how desperately cynically do you have to be to sponsor a star who has built her entire celebrity around extolling the splendors of bacon-wrapped, deep-friend macaroni-and-cheese, and other calorie bombs, all of which are among the most damaging dishes anyone with diabetes should eat.
And if you were fine with that, given the new business it would drum up, but just couldn’t abide Deen’s racial language, why not question the deal nine months ago, when she appeared on a New York Times video, referring to her driver and bodyguard as being “black as that board”, before beckoning him to move away from the backdrop off-stage, saying “We can’t see you standing against that dark board.”
For all of these companies now clamoring for the high ground, in a bid to separate themselves from the toxic presence that is Paula Deen, that would have been the time to move.

I found her annoying and grating before all this crap hit the fan and rapidly, and with great enthusiasm, changed the channel the moment she came on.

So basically this changes neither my opinion of her or my life in anyway.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
all I can say to that article is just 'wow', if even half of it is true...wow

Yeah, that link is pretty informatory, but if your live in the deep south, Texas, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Georgia you had better get used to that language.. it's pretty much the norm..

That wedding statement, that alone is reason to be axed from Prime Time..

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto

Christianna

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2012
I was raised by my grandmother who was born in Missouri. If I had ever used that word she would have slapped my mouth right off my face. I couldn't even call Brazil nuts by the common name because even today I can't and wouldn't say that word.

I don't feel sorry for Deen either, she is richer than god and all that weeping and wailing makes her look greedy and sorry that her empire is failing.

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard

eh, she's just a Good'ol Girl from the south..

I mean personally who has not used the word N*gg*r-rig it, here? Pretty dam common in Texas..

The Ten Weirdest Allegations From Paula Deen's Home-Cooked Racism and Sexual Harassment Complaint

But she will be O.K., she has lots of money..

well, I 'm still totally entranced by them big blue eyes, that bouffant style hare, them big false eyelashes & heavy mascara, but that's just me...
OR it Might be caused by the fact that I've never heard of her before this broke..

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
yeah and they were going to use her to endorse drugs for diabetes... :roll:

You've got to be kidding! Honestly, Sal just when you think you've heard it all.........you realize you haven't even skimmed the surface. :roll: