US CEO held captive by Chinese workers: 'I think I'm here to stay'

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
US CEO held captive by Chinese workers: 'I think I'm here to stay'

US CEO held captive by Chinese workers 'I think I'm here to Stay - YouTube

The American executive being held captive inside his Chinese factory by his own workers insisted Wednesday he’s tried to leave the building, but has been blocked by angry employees at every turn.

“I tried the other day, and they all pretty much lock arms together and won’t let me go,” said Chip Starnes, speaking to TODAY’s Savannah Guthrie through the barred window of his office.“They’re very aggressive, they only let you go so far around the factory.”

Starnes is the 42-year-old chief executive of Specialty Medical Supplies, which has operated a plant just outside of Beijing for the last decade.

However, the company recently moved a part of its Chinese factory to India, laying off about 35 Chinese workers in the process. Each was provided a severance package. Remaining workers soon began demanding similar compensation deals, even though they were still employed, leading to the confrontation with Starnes.

Employees have prohibited their boss from leaving the building since last Friday, although Starnes said he has made several attempts.

“I did try. I actually tried to go over the gate but they would not let me go,” he said. “I think I’m here to stay. I think it’s a real issue. Sometimes, it’s like it’s a movie. It’s surreal. But it’s real, it’s something I really have to hit head on and address.”

Starnes receives three meals daily and can take showers in a factory bathroom. He has access to the phone and has been in contact with his Florida-based family. He said American embassy officials have contacted U.S. senators, but they are very limited on what they can do because the dispute is considered an economic issue.

“It’s up to the factory workers and me, I guess, as the owner to fix this situation , which is what we’re trying to do right now,” he said.

Starnes called it "very disappointing and saddening" that that the local government hasn’t done more to resolve the issue.

“They do things a little bit different over here. The local authorities, they treat it as a civil issue,” he said. “It’s a factory dispute and it’s sort of made that monetary and they’re hands off. They let the workers themselves handle it inside here.”

Starnes said his lawyers continue to negotiate an agreement for his release, and were speaking with government officials even while he conducted his interview with TODAY.

When Guthrie suggested Starnes try walking out the factory doors while live on camera, he turned down the offer, citing the ongoing talks.

“My attorneys are in here right now, and we’re very close to settling something, so I don’t want to display all the employees and the staff that’s in here right now,” he said. “If we go another day, we move into another weekend, you bet your bottom dollar I’ll take that offer from you.”

Source: US CEO held captive by Chinese workers: 'I think I'm here to stay' - TODAY.com

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
People should start doing that over here when big corporations want to relocate someplace they only have to pay their employees peanuts.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
My pity level is low for some reason.

The owner of the company was laying off some top managers and packing up equipment and shipping it out..

Many companies, just up and move leaving money owing to employees in China.. the people are concerned that this guy was going to do the same..

His actions got him in a bind.. LOL Let'em rot as his factory falls around him.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
One you do business in China I have no sympathy for him at all.
Two it shows what is happening in China and there is a slow down
a loss of jobs too.
Why? The corporate parasites are now moving to India and Bangladesh

to overwork and underpay people. There is a solution to this in some
measure.
1 If you have a business headquartered in America you pay American wages
and working conditions.
2 Remember the law can be enforced the same as the sex tourist laws so hit
them now.

I hope the suck every dime he ever made out of them It goes to show on the
world stage the union movement is still needed even here. We have to make
companies accountable The problem with our unions it they have become the
money managers of the pension funds and are bigger than some companies
with caring about those who pay into the fund.
The unions must get back to basics, organize, organize and start to begin a
new agenda requiring jobs to stay here.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Investor darlings who took off to foreign shores had better hope their offshore workers don't unionize if labour/management isn't something they can control there either

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
One you do business in China I have no sympathy for him at all.
Two it shows what is happening in China and there is a slow down
a loss of jobs too.
Why? The corporate parasites are now moving to India and Bangladesh

to overwork and underpay people. There is a solution to this in some
measure.
1 If you have a business headquartered in America you pay American wages
and working conditions.

So... When you travel abroad, do you demand to pay Canadian (oh, let's say Vancouver) prices for food, lodging, taxis, etc.?

Yeah - I thought not... But somehow that's the solution for a US (or Canadian) company in your wonderful view?

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
So... When you travel abroad, do you demand to pay Canadian (oh, let's say Vancouver) prices for food, lodging, taxis, etc.?

Yeah - I thought not... But somehow that's the solution for a US (or Canadian) company in your wonderful view?

The simplicity of extraterritoriality .....And the naivety of the young..

\Captain 'M' to the rescue...

Last edited:

BruSan

Electoral Member
Jul 5, 2011
I'm surprised by the hatred of so many Canadians for the Chinese. What's up with that?

Credibility is garnered over a period of time showing consideration and knowledgeable restraint in posting habits.

You squandered quite a bit there when you implied that singular post, which was basically stating that the CEO is getting what he deserves for being part of a cabal of companies taking advantage of the Chinese workers as: ' hatred shown by many Canadians for the Chinese'.

How does one make a determination such as that and expect subsequently to be taken seriously on other issues?

C'mon now?