Pope Francis means business. Starts cleaning house?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Pope Francis means business.Starts cleaning house?
Pope sets up special review of scandal-plagued Vatican bank - The Globe and Mail

Pope Francis has set up a special commission to review the activities of the scandal-plagued Vatican bank to ensure that it operated in “harmony” with the mission of the Catholic Church, the Vatican said on Wednesday.

The appointment of the five-member panel, which includes four prelates and a woman Harvard professor, is the boldest move yet by Francis to get to grips with a bank that embarrassed the church for decades.

The Institute for Works of Religion (IOR) as the bank is formally known, has long been tarnished by accusations that it has failed to meet international transparency standards intended to combat money laundering and tax evasion.

The Vatican said in a statement the commission would enable Francis “to know better the judicial position and the activities of the Institute to allow an improved harmonization with the mission of the universal church”.

It said the commission would have full powers to obtain all documentation and data necessary although the powers of existing regulators would not be affected.

The Pope has laid great emphasis on removing an image of privilege from Church operations and IOR’s new president Ernst von Freyberg has begun a review of all its accounts and activities.

Italian magistrates are investigating the bank on suspicion of money laundering, a charge the bank denies.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
A Vatican cleric and two other people were arrested Friday by Italian police for allegedly trying to smuggle 20 million euros ($26 million) in cash into the country from Switzerland by private jet. It's the latest scandal to hit the Holy See and broadens an Italian probe into its secretive bank.

Monsignor Nunzio Scarano, already under investigation in a purported money-laundering plot involving the Vatican bank, is accused of corruption and slander and was being held at a Rome prison, prosecutor Nello Rossi told reporters.

Scarano's arrest came just two days after Pope Francis created a commission of inquiry into the Vatican bank to get to the bottom of the problems that have plagued it for decades and contributed to the impression that it's an unregulated, offshore tax haven

Read more: Vatican official arrested for trying to bring $26M into Italy on gov't plane | CTV News

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Its a start.
Yes it is. And I think we will see radical change within the Hierarchy.
He has a trusted number of advisers that he is relying on. So it is natural to see some missteps with the change that is needed. And as usual the Press will as always look for the worst.

A number of Bishops, Arch Bishops, Cardinals and Patriarchs involved in covering up child abuse will graciously retire.

And no I am not Roman Catholic. But as a Christian I have a vested interest.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
A number of Bishops, Arch Bishops, Cardinals and Patriarchs involved in covering up child abuse will graciously retire.

And no I am not Roman Catholic. But as a Christian I have a vested interest.

Retiring is a nice first step. Any evidence of the cover up and the crimes should be handed over to the authorities wherever the crimes may have happened.

You dont have to be a Catholic or a Christian to have a vested interest. Just a law abiding citizen of any of the countries where these things have happened. I was baptized by a priest who did have similar accusations thrown at him before he conveniently went away. The guilty should be punished as should anyone who helped them cover it up. Doing that would go a long way to improving the Church's reputation. They should be just as interested in that as any member.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Retiring is a nice first step. Any evidence of the cover up and the crimes should be handed over to the authorities wherever the crimes may have happened.

You dont have to be a Catholic or a Christian to have a vested interest. Just a law abiding citizen of any of the countries where these things have happened. I was baptized by a priest who did have similar accusations thrown at him before he conveniently went away. The guilty should be punished as should anyone who helped them cover it up. Doing that would go a long way to improving the Church's reputation. They should be just as interested in that as any member.

As usual you hit the nail on the head. I wish that I at your age I had the insight you do.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Goober, your interest in what monarchs can do is misplaced. Rather, it should be in what the People can do. The Catholic Church is its people not its pope.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Goober, your interest in what monarchs can do is misplaced. Rather, it should be in what the People can do. The Catholic Church is its people not its pope.

I agree and disagree. While all changes he may want will not happen. I see a change in how he conducts himself to setting up a review of the Vatican Bank and to his advisors.
Yes directed change can become mired down and even scuttled.
I do not expect the RC Church to change in a heartbeat.
The next year(s) should be interesting.
Also support for drastic change is coming from the US

http://nation.time.com/2013/07/01/milwaukee-diocese-posts-priest-sex-abuse-records/

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
The US Cardinals came into Rome riding a wave for change. From the Child abuse scandals to the Vatican Bank to the small numbers who impeded change and turned a blind eye to corruption.
The Cardinals from such EU countries as Germany, Ireland were also riding that same wave.

The US Cardinals were critical in the voting process for Pope Francis to be elected.

Pope Francis himself would be aware of the corruption. And he is implementing change.

He will have success and failures, just like any man.

He will like any man make mistakes, but are we so ignorant and hateful that we do not realize a man can make mistakes.

How can a person judge when we have not given the man a chance.

To change such a regimented and political organization takes time and the job will not be finished by Pope Francis but it will begin under him.

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard

Good point - and in 2013, 43-46 per cent of Canadians are Baptised Catholics' and practise it to some degree.. so for a whole pooppile of folks , DbeaVER, value is discerned.

so the Great atheist revolution hasn't really hit high gear yet, has it?;-)