Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Is Vancouver friendly to dopers?

Vancouver's Chinatown sure seems to be doper friendly.

HIV and Hep C can run up to a million in health care.

It is the data that is important.
Harm reduction.
Less transfer of diseases.
Less crime.

And as we know if someone wants to do drugs they will.

Overall, the prevalence of daily cocaine injection among persons who use drugs has dramatically decreased— from 38.1% in 1996 to 6.9% in 2011. As well, the proportion of (persons who use drugs) reporting daily heroin injection has declined over the years.”

In the teeth of federal opposition to harm-reduction programs and an escalating law-enforcement war on drugs, the research indicates that providing access to treatment and supervised injection sites is a better way of dealing with addiction.

Increased spending on law enforcement together with longer prison sentences has not made a difference in either the availability of illicit drugs or their price.

Although a large proportion of users in the city said they had beed jailed because of the federal tough-on-crime approach, the laws haven’t affected the supply — heroin still sells at $20 per 0.1 gram and cocaine, crack cocaine and crystal methamphetamine at $10 per 0.1 gram.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
New studies of Vancouver's injected drug use reveal that the harm reduction strategies of safe injection sites and needle exchange programs, have been a huge success in lowering the rate of drug use, despite the inability of law enforcement to stem its availability.

Ian Mulgrew: Evidence keeps piling up to support drug harm-reduction strategy

There is always going to be a certain segment of society (me being one) who when someone tells you you can't do something, they will just prove they can. A lot of druggies are super intelligent people in some ways and once they see that no one is telling them they have to quit, might just decide since they have nothing to prove that it might be just be conducive to good health and financial prosperity.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Always consider the source of information.

Always consider the facts- the sources should be credible. Lots of time people do not like facts. It stares them in the face and they ignore them.
And as these sites have been ongoing for years the data becomes clear.
Bringing in personal values ain't worth a Tinkers Damn when dealing with addiction and treatment.
Fact, heath costs, disease prevention, lower crime, less drug use, available treatment facilities for those that want it.

Like homelessness. It is cheaper in the long term to provide decent accommodation for those that are willing to abide by certain criteria.

So Walter look at it from a frugal perspective. Tax efficiencies.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
There is always going to be a certain segment of society (me being one) who when someone tells you you can't do something, they will just prove they can. A lot of druggies are super intelligent people in some ways and once they see that no one is telling them they have to quit, might just decide since they have nothing to prove that it might be just be conducive to good health and financial prosperity.

True. I drank underage from time to time. As soon as I hit 19 it lost its appeal. Strange the way that works. I suspect a lot of people would have the same reaction with drugs. Maybe not the real addicts though. From what I've read withdrawal from some of them can be pure torture for a long time.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

Add to that the fact that instead of being locked away at home, shooting up from dirty needles, instead they're out for a walk, accessing the clinic, accessing medical care, addictions assistance... it makes them a completely different 'caste' than they are when they have to hide and be ashamed.

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
New studies of Vancouver's injected drug use reveal that the harm reduction strategies of safe injection sites and needle exchange programs, have been a huge success in lowering the rate of drug use, despite the inability of law enforcement to stem its availability.

Ian Mulgrew: Evidence keeps piling up to support drug harm-reduction strategy

That makes sense, it gives access to drug users by agencies that can help them deal with their addiction issues. That's hard to do when users are shooting up at home in alleys and squats.

Or maybe they switch to other drugs they don't need to inject.

The group released a similar report summarizing 10 years of data in Nov. 2009 that found the city’s hard-drug trade thriving, with steep increases in the use of crack cocaine and a significant increase in the use of crystal meth by street youth.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Can't solve the problem, so just give up and be an enabler ..

Read the studies. Then think of the tax dollars saved.
They will do drugs- Fact-
They are offered a clean place to shoot up - prevents OD and transfer of HIV and Hep C- Fact
They are now offered help to get into a program- Fact.
A percentage do. Fact
The present system you support does not work.Fact

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
So can killing yourself!

Id say withdrawal is worse as an experience. Once you're dead you feel nothing. Like turning off a light.

Seems to be working if those statistics are accurate. Portugal did something similar and decriminalized all of the drugs. When its treated as a medical problem rather than a criminal one the results seem to be better.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Read the studies. Then think of the tax dollars saved.

The studies are all published by those that have a vested interest in keeping the 'clinic' alive.

They will do drugs- Fact-

.... And?

They are offered a clean place to shoot up - prevents OD and transfer of HIV and Hep C- Fact

Correction: Slows down the transfer of these diseases.

It's not like this is the only place that they consume the drugs

They are now offered help to get into a program- Fact.

They've been 'offered help' from a raft of former and existing agencies to kick - Fact.

None of them really work - Fact

A percentage do. Fact

Heroin addiction is on the rise.... I wonder if the authors of 'the studies' have analyzed the effects of normalizing the drug via 'clinics' like Insite?

The present system you support does not work.Fact

Neither does Insite - Fact

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
The studies are all published by those that have a vested interest in keeping the 'clinic' alive.
They would have crime stats as well

Correction: Slows down the transfer of these diseases.

It's not like this is the only place that they consume the drugs

Slows down and a reasonable probability of not being transferred.

They've been 'offered help' from a raft of former and existing agencies to kick - Fact.

Being front line they have more opportunity to arrange treatment.And they do.

Heroin addiction is on the rise.... I wonder if the authors of 'the studies' have analyzed the effects of normalizing the drug via 'clinics' like Insite?
Neither does Insite - Fact

I am waiting to see all the reports from Police, crime stats, treatment, transfer rates for HIV and Hep C but what we have now does not work. Intervention is the first step.

Canadian Alcohol and Drug Use Monitoring Survey: Summary of Results for 2011 - Health Canada

In 2011, past-year use of the most commonly reported illicit drugs after cannabis was estimated to be less than 1% for each (hallucinogens including salvia (0.6%); ecstasy (0.7%), cocaine or crack (0.9%) and speed (0.5%)). Past-year use of methamphetamine is not reportable. The only statistically significant change noted among these substances over time was a decrease in cocaine or crack to 0.9% in 2011 from 1.9% in 2004.

In 2011, the prevalence of use of at least one of six drugs [cannabis, cocaine or crack, speed, ecstasy, hallucinogens (excluding salvia) or heroin] in the past year was 9.4%, a statistically significant decrease from 11.0% in 2010. While past-year use among males also showed a statistically significant decline (12.4% in 2011 versus 15.0% in 2010), the rate of use by males was almost double that of females (6.5%), which is unchanged from 2010. Prevalence of use was three times higher among youth (21.9%) than adults (6.9%).

Use of at least one of five illicit drugs excluding cannabis [cocaine or crack, speed, ecstasy, hallucinogens (excluding salvia) or heroin] was reported by 1.7% of Canadians. The reported rate of such use by males (2.4%) was statistically significantly higher than that reported by females (1.0%), while the rate of use by youth at 4.8% was almost five times higher than that reported by adults at 1.1%. Past-year use of at least one of five drugs excluding cannabis in 2011 (1.7%), was a statistically significant decrease from 2004 (3.0%), but not significantly different from 2010 (1.8%). Use of at least one of these drugs also decreased since 2004 among males (2.4% in 2011 versus 4.3%) and youth (4.8% in 2011 versus 11.3%).

Canada faces a flood of heroin and addicts

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

That was my reaction when the gallery first opened, but I've had a change of mind. I agree with you completely, but there's been no honest effort made to stop the trafficker and importer, which is the only realistic way to slow it down. I like the Singapore scenario where there are no repeat offenders.

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
Where I live the needle shooters are leaving their used needles at the beaches after shooting up. Kids and adults use the beaches and sometimes step on needles. Consequently, I have zero tolerance for needle shooters.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Where I live the needle shooters are leaving their used needles at the beaches after shooting up. Kids and adults use the beaches and sometimes step on needles. Consequently, I have zero tolerance for needle shooters.

The burning question now is do they have a safe injection site where you live?