One Solution?.......Bring back the Spring Bear Hunt!!!!!

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Biologist fends off bear attack near Foleyet

FOLEYET - A biologist doing surveying work in the Foleyet area fended off a persistent attack by a black bear using a repellant spray Sunday.
The incident occurred in the vicinity of Vimy Creek, near the Groundhog River.
The predatory actions of the bear were suppressed by the use of spray but the bear continued to return to the man on a number of occasions over a period of 40 minutes, the provincial police in Foleyet reported Monday.
The man managed to reach his truck without injury and attended the OPP detachment to report the incident.
The OPP has now issued a warning to those in the Kukatush Road area in Reese Township “for work, fishing, or recreation to be particularly wary of bear activity.” Police also advise anyone venturing into the forest to exercise caution.
This bear encounter in Foleyet is the second such attack on a person in the Northeastern region in less than a month.
In mid May, a Toronto man was seriously injured when he was mauled by a black bear while staying a cabin near Cochrane. In that incident, the man’s scalp was torn off and the victim required 300 stitches to close his wounds.
Karen Passmore, a communications official with the Ministry of Natural Resources in Timmins, was asked by The Daily Press if the prolonged winter experienced by this region may have contributed to a shortage of food and more aggressive behaviour in bears.
Passmore suggested there was no connection, and said there were likely differing reasons for the two separate attacks.........

...............Biologist fends off bear attack near Foleyet | Local | News | Timmins Press

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
8OYaaabuttt: FATALITIES due to bear attacks in Ont. only happen once in a while............................:roll:

Keep the 905 Con. No spring bear hunt.

Buncha leftie pussies !!

Gotta bear down.

:roll:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
8OYaaabuttt: FATALITIES due to bear attacks in Ont. only happen once in a while............................:roll:

Buncha leftie pussies !!

Gotta bear down.

:roll:
Not enough.

It is very rare for a bear to attack a human, mostly when protecting their cubs.But when a black bear is persistent, it means he is hunting the human, not just curious or protective. We have taken away so much of their habitat that I'm not surprised that they seem to be getting more aggressive. But, to me, there would only be balance in the world when there are as many humans killed by bears as there are bears killed by humans. Bears are magnificent and intelligent creatures that for the most part would rather be left alone and shown a little respect. BUt like humans, there are a few cranky ones who just don't want to take our shyte anymore.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Dont go into the woods unarmed unless you are a masochist or have a death wish.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Dont go into the woods unarmed unless you are a masochist or have a death wish.
I have spent most of my life in the forest with bears and I never have a weapon. I sometimes carry a pocket knife when I'm mushroom picking, but that is not a weapon. I love it when I hear others out here wearing bear bells. Bear have learned that it means an easy meal, if they are in the mood for long pig. I always feel safer when I hear those bells jingling along a trail. City slickers are such easy pickings.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Once upon a time, bears were smart enough to stay away from people. Even as more people moved into their woods, bear cubs learned that man will kill. Bear cubs are inquisitive - and smart. Now, and based on greenie pleas to save soft furry cubs, we let them grow to be big dumb bears before they get the lesson than man is dangerous

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
One solution? Limit the expansion of human intrusion into bear habitat, and suck up the fact that when in their territory, they may be in it. It sounds like he was out in the forest when this happened, not that the bear was hunting him in his backyard.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
You all need to keep making excuses for predators (except human ones). We would not want it to be the way it used to be :roll:

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
If you will look at the scale of the map in the general area where the attacks happened and only three towns over 5000 population, I wouldn't call it encroaching into the wilderness...............

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Not enough.

It is very rare for a bear to attack a human, mostly when protecting their cubs.But when a black bear is persistent, it means he is hunting the human, not just curious or protective. We have taken away so much of their habitat that I'm not surprised that they seem to be getting more aggressive. But, to me, there would only be balance in the world when there are as many humans killed by bears as there are bears killed by humans. Bears are magnificent and intelligent creatures that for the most part would rather be left alone and shown a little respect. BUt like humans, there are a few cranky ones who just don't want to take our shyte anymore.

Cliffy, I am going to ignore the silliness of treating bears and humans as relative equals.............

But I need to correct you in fact on one item. Only 8% of fatal black bear attacks are done by sows with cubs. Sows often threaten, false charge etc in defense of cubs, and sometimes even carry the attack home, but they rarely kill, as soon as they believe the threat is subdued, they head for the high country.

Most fatal attacks are predation, done by male bears.

A few surprises in decades-long black bear study - The Globe and Mail

Bear spray is a wonderful thing, although I prefer a rifle, it settles the discussion once and for all. My wife, who spends some time at our camp (right by a wild blueberry field) without me, is not a shooter.

I have never killed a black bear, BTW, despite having a discussion with one at a range of less than 10 feet, and yes, I had a rifle. He didn't quite push it too far.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
If you will look at the scale of the map in the general area where the attacks happened and only three towns over 5000 population, I wouldn't call it encroaching into the wilderness...............

I agree to a point. When you go in there you do risk running into a bear, wolves or potentially some other animal that may want to hurt or kill you. Though judging from personal experience it probably doesnt happen much. I grew up in that area and only saw about a dozen bears in the woods over the course of 10-15 years. I saw a few in town but most of those were dead - or were shortly after I saw them. Expecting the woods to be safe and risk free is just crazy. Its never going to happen (unless we wipe out everything there and I wouldnt be too surprised if that eventually happens).

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I agree to a point. When you go in there you do risk running into a bear, wolves or potentially some other animal that may want to hurt or kill you. Though judging from personal experience it probably doesnt happen much. I grew up in that area and only saw about a dozen bears in the woods over the course of 10-15 years. I saw a few in town but most of those were dead - or were shortly after I saw them. Expecting the woods to be safe and risk free is just crazy. Its never going to happen (unless we wipe out everything there and I wouldnt be too surprised if that eventually happens).
I have been in that area all my life and throughout most of that time, never had problems with bears that didn't run away....I would even tell people that if a bear smells or sees you first, you never see it which was why bear sightings were rare.
After the spring bear hunt was closed down, I did some amateur prospecting and was lucky enough to have a carry permit....well in a five year span I had no less than four close encounters, the majority as Colpy says were males and one was a sow with cubs and I actually never saw the sow, She stayed in the bush making a racket and grunting to call her cubs and scare me, which she did and I backed away with my 44 pointed in the direction of the noise the whole time.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
I remember reading of this one:

Raymond Jakubauskas, 32, male
Carola Frehe, 48, female01991-10-11October 11, 1991BlackAlgonquin Provincial Park, OntarioWhile they were setting up camp on Bates Island, a black bear broke both of their necks. The bear then dragged their bodies into the woods and consumed the remains. When police arrived five days later, the bear was guarding the bodies. A park naturalist called the attack "right off the scale of normal bear behavior".[73][74]

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
One solution? Limit the expansion of human intrusion into bear habitat, and suck up the fact that when in their territory, they may be in it. It sounds like he was out in the forest when this happened, not that the bear was hunting him in his backyard.

Suck up to the fact that they may be armed ....

and never pack Hunney....

Travel in groups- together...Esp. at 'that time'...
@Nuggler:
:shock:Yaaabuttt: FATALITIES due to bear attacks in Ont. only happen once in a while............................:roll:

Buncha leftie pussies !!

Gotta bear down.

Tell that to the big girrrrlz, Nugs..

Attachments

• winnie.jpg
    winnie.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Army-Girl.jpg
    Army-Girl.jpg
    365.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Jonny_C

Electoral Member
Apr 25, 2013
North Bay, ON

Bear habitat is no problem. Come to Northern Ontario where we have them by the 100,000 and realize that they're as well provided for in habitat terms as they ever were.

My brother used to hunt bear before the spring hunt was cancelled. Several of his productive bait stations were only a mile or two from urban areas, a distance a bear can cover in 10 or 15 minutes. Bears are not as sensitive as you think.

We also have a significant number of attacks on humans that are not for the protection of cubs or because a bear was surprised. It used to be that the MNR line was that bears are no danger to humans. They've given up that line.

The spring bear hunt was a good means of keeping the bear population down, and it certainly never even came close to wiping out bears.

The people who go all starry-eyed over bears are ones who haven't encountered them much.

I have never killed a black bear, BTW, despite having a discussion with one at a range of less than 10 feet, and yes, I had a rifle. He didn't quite push it too far.

A bear that got that close to me and didn't make off would be a dead bear.

That would even be true of a bear that got within a hundred feet and showed no fear.

I know the area well; I've hunted and fished all over it. And you're absolutely right. It's basically all bush, except for cut-over areas that are growing back, which a bear doesn't mind either.