Obesity a disease!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
According to the evening news obesity is now a disease. Not sure what to make of that one. Is it a physical or mental disease? Or is it a symptom of a disease? Any ideas?

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Do you thinks it's the bread moreso than what you put on the bread? Maybe the butter, margarine, mayo, mustard contributes just as much to the problem.

It's definitely the bread.

As I've mentioned before, I'm a small guy in my 60s who lost 35 lbs on the gluten free/wheat free diet without exercising. But I still have a mammoth appetite and cooking is still my favorite hobby. I have not skipped a meal since early December when I started the diet. In fact, I eat three square meals a day. But I do not take a gram of wheat and that is why I have not regained so much as an ounce.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
It's definitely the bread.

As I've mentioned before, I'm a small guy in my 60s who lost 35 lbs on the gluten free/wheat free diet without exercising. But I still have a mammoth appetite and cooking is still my favorite hobby. I have not skipped a meal since early December when I started the diet. In fact, I eat three square meals a day. But I do not take a gram of wheat and that is why I have not regained so much as an ounce.

Who can argue with something that works? Keep up the good work!

Scooby

Electoral Member
Mar 22, 2012
Alberta
Food is marketed as a pleasure inducing experience to the point where many think of it nearly as a drug. Take away the profits from the big food processors and retailers who make and sell unhealthy food and the problem goes away. So obvious, but nobody in government will dare to stand up for it.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Food is marketed as a pleasure inducing experience to the point where many think of it nearly as a drug. Take away the profits from the big food processors and retailers who make and sell unhealthy food and the problem goes away. So obvious, but nobody in government will dare to stand up for it.

I'm sure all the advertising on T.V. is a huge contributor to the problem. Ironically it's going to be too much food that terminates the human race, not starvation.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
According to the evening news obesity is now a disease. Not sure what to make of that one. Is it a physical or mental disease? Or is it a symptom of a disease? Any ideas?

I suspect the evening news was more likely to put it in the current medical terms of 'chronic illness', than of 'disease', since it doesn't fit the scientific criteria of a disease.

What's the cure??? (The million dollar question)

BTW here a link to your story..

Physicians group labels obesity a disease - CNN.com

Interest a cool topic

Well, colour me wrong!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I suspect the evening news was more likely to put it in the current medical terms of 'chronic illness', than of 'disease', since it doesn't fit the scientific criteria of a disease.

They didn't though, the term "disease" was mentioned several times in the report. Does alcoholism or drug addiction fit the scientific criteria of a disease?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I'm sure all the advertising on T.V. is a huge contributor to the problem. Ironically it's going to be too much food that terminates the human race, not starvation.

Well, it seems little Peewee wants to continue with his ridiculousness. Well, I can be an A$$hole with the best of them!

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Well, it seems little Peewee wants to continue with his ridiculousness. Well, I can be an A$$hole with the best of them!
you could, but why bother... :p:blob8::tongue10:

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
We as a society have become so fat we do not even know what "normal" looks like in many cases. This week we were at A&W (eating junk, I confess) and I looked at the people in there and was shocked to note all of the kids ages 5 to 12 were looking like my generation did at that age - wait for it - they were lean.

I think we may have responded in time but not for a certain (sandwich group) which will likely remain heavy with the resulting shorter life span. All the people in there were lean to "heavy" and when I say heavy I don't mean big guts hanging over pants but just solid with too much body fat but no where close to obese.

In the lobby the other day I was told I was too thin. I have heard this for most of my life. This means I am back on track as my frame is quite petite an extra ten pounds on me makes me likely look "normal" but I know what is healthy and those ten extra pounds while making those around me feel more comfortable on my behalf are in reality - not good.

Do I view it as a disease? I think yes because it is a condition that leads to other diseases that will cause an early death for many people. Organs are surrounded by fat and the heart works harder etc. If I hear one more person saying they just need a bit of will power I swear I will shoot them. When they get their Phd in medicine then I will listen to what they have to say. Otherwise I will continue to label it as sheer ignorance as I did with the person who labelled me too thin.

smallandmighty

Nominee Member
May 12, 2013
108 Mile Ranch BC
Those calling it a disease. I call it job security. The rest will use it as another excuse.
There is not excuse for obesity, just greed. It is not a disease. So many are quick on excuses, but not solutions. Is it a disease when you see these overweight fat people eating foods, treats etc? Why are they always eating?
So many use a thryroid condition or diabetes, medical etc etc etc as an excuse. This will really get overused.
I was told by my doctor that I now have a thyroid condition and so does my partner, he and I in no way intend to use it as an excuse to get fat. We eat right, and exercise, and keep our weight down.

I am very small, petite, and even ten pounds extra is too much for me. I am very uncomfortable with that.
Also obesity does not lead to other diseases, as I look at it, because if they were not obese these other diseases would not exist.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Those calling it a disease. I call it job security. The rest will use it as another excuse.
There is not excuse for obesity, just greed. It is not a disease. So many are quick on excuses, but not solutions. Is it a disease when you see these overweight fat people eating foods, treats etc? Why are they always eating?
So many use a thryroid condition or diabetes, medical etc etc etc as an excuse. This will really get overused.
I was told by my doctor that I now have a thyroid condition and so does my partner, he and I in no way intend to use it as an excuse to get fat. We eat right, and exercise, and keep our weight down.

Well, that's right. They can bullsh*t all they want BUT if you burn more calories than you consume you will NOT get obese. On the other side of the coin people's metabolism differ. Some burn it off easier than others. But regardless getting active is more of a key than what you eat.

We as a society have become so fat we do not even know what "normal" looks like in many cases. This week we were at A&W (eating junk, I confess) and I looked at the people in there and was shocked to note all of the kids ages 5 to 12 were looking like my generation did at that age - wait for it - they were lean.

I think we may have responded in time but not for a certain (sandwich group) which will likely remain heavy with the resulting shorter life span. All the people in there were lean to "heavy" and when I say heavy I don't mean big guts hanging over pants but just solid with too much body fat but no where close to obese.

In the lobby the other day I was told I was too thin. I have heard this for most of my life. This means I am back on track as my frame is quite petite an extra ten pounds on me makes me likely look "normal" but I know what is healthy and those ten extra pounds while making those around me feel more comfortable on my behalf are in reality - not good.

Do I view it as a disease? I think yes because it is a condition that leads to other diseases that will cause an early death for many people. Organs are surrounded by fat and the heart works harder etc. If I hear one more person saying they just need a bit of will power I swear I will shoot them. When they get their Phd in medicine then I will listen to what they have to say. Otherwise I will continue to label it as sheer ignorance as I did with the person who labelled me too thin.

I doubt if 10 extra lbs. (or even 20) ever killed anyone and is beneficial for back up should one get severely ill.

Also obesity does not lead to other diseases, as I look at it, because if they were not obese these other diseases would not exist.

I don't quite follow that, obesity contributes to high blood pressure which contributes to diseases of the heart, arteries, kidneys etc. A lb. of fat contains a lot of capillaries the heart has to pump blood through. While a few extra lbs. is beneficial there is a limit beyond which, organs are being compromised.