Microsoft Is Removing Xbox One DRM

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
This could be the biggest backtrack in gaming history: Microsoft will reverse course on their DRM policies for Xbox One, dropping their 24-hour Internet check-in requirement and all restrictions on used games.

Here's Microsoft president of interactive entertainment Don Mattrick with the news:

So, today I am announcing the following changes to Xbox One and how you can play, share, lend, and resell your games exactly as you do today on Xbox 360. Here is what that means:

An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games – After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.

Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today – There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.

http://kotaku.com/microsoft-is-remo..._source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

Shamed and mocked to d-e-a-t-h they were/are.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Lol. Gamers been going ballistic over this for weeks now.

PS4 was getting a ton of per orders and X-one hardly any....
No wonder they back pedalling.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I cannot stand DRM. Far too many games have it on the PC and it does NOTHING to curb piracy. If a game is good, people will buy it. Look at the majority of the indie games for example. They don't have ANY DRM and they are consistantly high sellers. Get rid of the DRM! Having to be online for a SINGLE PLAYER game is total BS. If I purchase a game with my hard-earned money, why the hell should I be punished?