Violent Protests in Brazil

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
It seems the folks in Brazil don't like fair hikes on the buses and now they don't like
building stadiums for Soccer or the Olympic Games. People want health care and
other services brought up to date and an end to out of control spending on sport
venues.
I have long said the games and special events have become too expensive. Some
say it means jobs and an injection for the economy. Nonsense. as a citizen I am
paying for the Vancouver Winter Games and I didn't get anything for the money we
paid. Local groups and sponsors are cut out of the process because buying in for
a sponsorship is n the millions. All we are doing is providing a venue for groups like
McDonald's and other big companies. Billions is a hell of a lot to pay for a pair of red
mittens
The people of Brazil have had enough and I don't blame them we are paying for all
kinds of useless stuff while the infrastructure and safety net programs are going to
the dogs is the message. Unfortunately that is happening everywhere.
The Guardian is where I first saw this but other media outlets are following it now too
including CNN

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I am not against the games themselves and I am not against a profit being made.
I want to see the event affordable for the country hosting them and the companies
of the country to show case what they have to introduce to the world.
At present we get the same venues with the same commercial outlets and if we
want that we can go to the local mall and see it.
We need venues we can afford and have as many people as possible participating
at the national level where the games are held.
Right now we have cost over runs that are not justified and too much money being
made and when venue costs are in the millions it shuts the small and local companies
out of a place in their own country.
We need some rules and some cost limits that cannot be exceeded or the just put an
end to the madness now.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
In Brazil there is a drastic gap between rich and poor, and they don't have the social safety net that Canada and the USA has..

Any increase in the cost of living can effect a family badly..coupled with corruption from police, government and local gangs.. bribes to run a business, or protection.

Also, tourist cities are always more expensive, look at the cost to live in Vancouver, BC, bus fairs, parking and toll roads.

The Olympics may bring short term hardship, but also may offer new opportunities to the very poor in jobs.

No this is not Habitat 67 in Montreal, it's the typical Brazilian ghetto.