Looking good on the taxpayers nickle

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
What ever happened to fiscally responsible conservatives, as we've been seeing recently there was a huge contract awarded by the federal conservatives to Irving Shipbuilding of $288 million to just look at building a new class of Arctic patrol vessels, most of the actual work to be done in Denmark and the US, $3.1 billion dollars just disappeared and recently appointed senators like Duffy and Wallin have been scamming us for thousands of dollars of illegal expense claims...while the PMO does whatever it can to cover it up like having Harper's chief of staff cut $90,000 checks to try and end investigations while conservative senators whitewash reports on it.

On a more personal note, conservative MPs like Eve Adams nickle and dime us as much as they can for all sorts of stuff the rest of us are expected to pay for from what we earn.

Personal expenses claimed by Tory MP include salon visits - Politics - CBC News

The 2011 campaign of Conservative MP Eve Adams is trying to claim $2,777 in personal expenses, including salon visits and dry-cleaning costs, as her campaign works more than two years after the election to close the file.

There are also multiple entries for costs incurred after the May 2, 2011, election, including a purchase three weeks later at Glitz Cupcakes for $2.63 and several restaurant charges as late as July 11, 2011.

Eve Adams's campaign also tried to claim a May 18, 2011, dinner at Hy's Steakhouse in Ottawa as a "victory party expense." The dinner, including a half bottle of champagne, cost $201.95, with a $26 tip. That expense is among the $6,003.34 in corrections that Peter Adams said in April he will repay, as it is "not an election expense."

The list of victory party expenses includes $250.05, including the $28 tip, at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, and $344.73 at Bristol Bar and Grill on May 3, 2011. The Ruth's Chris Steak House dinner is also to be repaid.

The expenses also included $327.50 in traffic tickets incurred by Peter Adams.

A separate list of expenses, filed following the campaign, covers $2,777.48 in personal expenses for Adams, including:

$260.71 for Shoppers Drug Mart.
$166.11 for dry cleaning.
$424.80 for the Davinci Salon and Spa.
67.28 for personal items.
Adams, who represents Mississauga-Brampton South in Ontario, took to Twitter to explain the costs. Some of it covered hand soap, mouthwash and toothpaste for volunteers, who work 16-hour days, she said.

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
I'm starting to get the impression that you don't like the Conservatvies....

I don't like what they're doing for sure...and the fact that they claim to be conservatives.

I could easily vote for someone like Brent Rathgeber because they represent something real. The Harper "conservatives" don't seem to represent anything to me but another cynical grab for wealth and power by a bunch of hypocrites. The fact they've been so self-righteous about their "values" doesn't make me inclined to forgive them also.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Meh. Cons, Glibs, essentially the same pile of crap.

I wish one of the mods would roll all these "I hate the Cons" threads into one. It'd leave the main page more room for more interesting stuff. Kinda like what eventually happened with the Izzy/Pally and 9/11 threads.

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
There are documents missing from Eve Adams Elections Canada file.

Records missing from Conservative MP's campaign file - Politics - CBC News

After viewing the file of Conservative MP Eve Adams, it was clear that some correspondence was missing.

One document, titled "Appendix to letter of April 9, 2013," and apparently written by Adams's official agent, was in the file, but there was no cover letter. Letters from Elections Canada were also missing.

Other documents are being withheld from CBC.

Other files for campaigns where Elections Canada asks for corrections contain letters from the agency and responses from the candidate's official agent or lawyer.

John Enright, a spokesman for Elections Canada, said the letter and appendix are "audit documents" that aren't accessible to the public under Section 541 of the Canada Elections Act.

"The appendix was left on the file in error and should have been removed before public viewing," Enright said in an email.

Asked how the letters don't qualify for public viewing, Enright repeated his first response. He declined an interview request.

There needs to be a good legal reason to do this.

Peter Rosenthal, a lawyer specializing in election law, says Elections Canada needs a good reason for refusing to provide any paperwork related to any campaign spending.

"In general, all these documents are supposed to be public," he said in an interview with CBC News.

"It's explicit in Section 541 of the Canada Elections Act.... So it's absolutely unequivocal that all documents related to that [file] are public documents that should be made freely available to the public."

Rosenthal says there are no exceptions, other than a lawyer's advice to a client.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
I don't like what they're doing for sure...and the fact that they claim to be conservatives.

I could easily vote for someone like Brent Rathgeber because they represent something real. The Harper "conservatives" don't seem to represent anything to me but another cynical grab for wealth and power by a bunch of hypocrites. The fact they've been so self-righteous about their "values" doesn't make me inclined to forgive them also.

Can't speak for Canada but "fiscal conservatives" in the USA refers to cutting necessary programs which benefit society in favor of unnecessary military wastage which benefits wealthy elites who profit from war and shelter their assets overseas in tax free accounts. All the while they claim to be principled but never back up their claims with proof or with any truth.

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Can't speak for Canada but "fiscal conservatives" in the USA refers to cutting necessary programs which benefit society in favor of unnecessary military wastage which benefits wealthy elites who profit from war and shelter their assets overseas in tax free accounts. All the while they claim to be principled but never back up their claims with proof or with any truth.

There's definitely a lot of hypocrisy involved.

I do think it is possible to be fiscally responsible without being heartless. Government should provide a basic structure to allow people to find their own ways, by trying to do too much it can take away freedom and by doing too little too many people fall through the cracks. It's about finding a balance, and you can't do that if you're completely committed to some ideology.