El Reno tornado, at 2.6 miles across, was widest on record

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

The tornado that struck El Reno, Okla., on Friday night is believed to be the widest on record in the United States at 2.6 miles across, the National Weather Service reported on Tuesday.

The May 31 twister beat the previous record, a 2.5-mile wide storm that struck Hallam, Neb., on May 22, 2004.

The Friday tornado and its resulting flooding claimed 18 lives, including six children and a dozen adults, the Oklahoma Medical Examiner reported on Tuesday. Six of the victims remain unidentified. Area hospitals treated 115 injuries after Friday’s storm, the Oklahoma Department of Emergency Management said.

The tornado’s width was measured by a mobile radar unit as the storm passed south of El Reno near Highway 81, the NWS said. The measurement only includes the tornado itself, and not winds surrounding the storm.

The tornado was also upgraded to an EF-5 classification, the most forceful category, according to the NWS.

El Reno is about 25 miles west of Oklahoma City.

The massive tornado struck less than two weeks after a tornado ripped through nearby Moore, Okla., leaving 24 people dead.

Governor Mary Fallin declared a state of emergency in 41 counties as the storm-battered region recovered on Tuesday. Search and recovery efforts continued for victims who went missing after being swept away by Oklahoma River floodwaters, NBC News affiliate KFOR reported.

source: El Reno tornado, at 2.6 miles across, was widest on record - U.S. News

//////////////////////////////////////////

Which way do you run when that's coming towards you. lol "Just kiss your a$$ goodbye" Winds 260 miles per hr.

So is this evidence of Global Warming?? More moisture in the air causing strong, more powerful and bigger storms??

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
It's just like home but warmer. According to my little nephew we talk funny in Canada.

I don't really have a "home."

From a child I moved around from Ontario to Quebec to New Brunswick to Ontario to Alberta to BC to California to Texas to BC to Texas to BC to Alberta to... you get the picture.

The longest place I ever stayed was in Texas 17 1/2 years..

The reason I liked Texas so much was I was paid Canadian wages, and everything was in American prices.. about 50% of Canadian prices..

You could really get ahead and live well in Texas.. the way everyone should be able to..

Greed as decapitated the middle class.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
A carpetbagger eh?

If we were to move to the US it would be Texas as first choice and Montana as our second.

The people in Texas are friendly as all hell and live the way they want to live.

I've lived/worked in the plains, mountains, northern boreal, prairie bush, deserts and tundra but I like the plains and semi arid desert the best.

No. Consistent with? Maybe.
It's spring.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
A carpetbagger eh?

yeah lol

I've lived/worked in the plains, mountains, northern boreal, prairie bush, deserts and tundra but I like the plains and semi arid desert the best.

I have been coast to coast, obviously trucking.. 42 states.. It's a beautiful country, I miss working down there.

Here is where ya wanna retire..

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I can't imagine living under multiple tornado threats especially when you see the destruction in other parts of the state then hear that one is headed your way. It must be so terrifying. How do you get away from something that is 4 km wide when you haven't a clue where it is going?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It must be so terrifying. How do you get away from something that is 4 km wide when you haven't a clue where it is going?
Knock yourself out and hope things will be okay when you awake?

After being in a tornado in 1983, I've learned to respect the storms on the Great Plains and head for cover immediately. when the sky turns black and day becomes like night.

They are the only things that scare the sh*t out of me.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
I can't imagine living under multiple tornado threats especially when you see the destruction in other parts of the state then hear that one is headed your way. It must be so terrifying. How do you get away from something that is 4 km wide when you haven't a clue where it is going?

It's not the tornadoes that scare you, it's the tornado warning sirens. They tend to mess with your mind a little after a while..

I was in a Blockbuster when a Tornado hit and they put everyone at the back of the store away from the glass.. I have scene a few tornadoes and nature is awesome and amazing let me tell you.

When I returned to Canada after 17 years of living in Texas, every rain storm put me a little on edge.

Sure you see the rain, Doppler is telling you there is circulation in the clouds.. take cover..

TORNADO WARNING! - sirens sounded in Cushing, Oklahoma 05-19-2010 - camera 2 view - YouTube

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

The tornado that struck El Reno, Okla., on Friday night is believed to be the widest on record in the United States at 2.6 miles across, the National Weather Service reported on Tuesday.

The May 31 twister beat the previous record, a 2.5-mile wide storm that struck Hallam, Neb., on May 22, 2004.

The Friday tornado and its resulting flooding claimed 18 lives, including six children and a dozen adults, the Oklahoma Medical Examiner reported on Tuesday. Six of the victims remain unidentified. Area hospitals treated 115 injuries after Friday’s storm, the Oklahoma Department of Emergency Management said.

The tornado’s width was measured by a mobile radar unit as the storm passed south of El Reno near Highway 81, the NWS said. The measurement only includes the tornado itself, and not winds surrounding the storm.

The tornado was also upgraded to an EF-5 classification, the most forceful category, according to the NWS.

El Reno is about 25 miles west of Oklahoma City.

The massive tornado struck less than two weeks after a tornado ripped through nearby Moore, Okla., leaving 24 people dead.

Governor Mary Fallin declared a state of emergency in 41 counties as the storm-battered region recovered on Tuesday. Search and recovery efforts continued for victims who went missing after being swept away by Oklahoma River floodwaters, NBC News affiliate KFOR reported.

source: El Reno tornado, at 2.6 miles across, was widest on record - U.S. News

//////////////////////////////////////////

Which way do you run when that's coming towards you. lol "Just kiss your a$$ goodbye" Winds 260 miles per hr.

So is this evidence of Global Warming?? More moisture in the air causing strong, more powerful and bigger storms??

There is something uncanny going on here. Normally when you increase the volume of the passage way you decrease the pressure!

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Methinks we'll be staying in good ol mundane E. Ont., where frightening weather is far from the norm.

We've had a couple of "twisters" in my 69 years, but they're not a yearly or monthly occurrence.

One was on my 10th birthday (Aug.), and my friends at my party, and I spent an hour in our potato bin under the cellar stairs. Pretty scary, and it did some major damage in our neighbourhood. We came out unscathed, and had something to talk about for the rest of our lives.

I feel sorry for folks in Ok. and Texas, et all, but ya gotta live somewhere.

eh