Texas Passes 'Merry Christmas' Bill to Protect Holidays from Political Correctness

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Texas Passes 'Merry Christmas' Bill to Protect Holidays from Political Correctness

State lawmakers in Texas have passed legislation that permits public schools to display nativity scenes, menorahs, or Christmas trees, and allows students and school district staff to use greetings such as, “Merry Christmas,” “Happy Hanukkah,” and “Happy Holidays.”

According to Fox News in Austin, the legislation (HB 308), introduced by Rep. Dwayne Bohac (R-Houston) and dubbed “The Merry Christmas Bill,” received overwhelming approval in the state house, by a margin of 145-2, and was passed unanimously in the state senate, 29-0. The bill will now be sent to Gov. Rick Perry (R) for his signature.

“I was a little flabbergasted and a little upset that we’ve become so politically correct that we can’t call a federal holiday by its name,” Bohac said. “Teachers have enough on their plate to worry about the school districts going to be sued or if they can call a Christmas tree a Christmas tree.”

Bohac said there are two pending lawsuits in Texas related to the use of traditional holiday greetings in schools. “Tales from Christmas Past” provides stories, posted on the bill’s website, submitted by citizens who write of oppression and threats of firings against teachers if they say, “Merry Christmas,” to students or exchange cards or gifts at school.

However, Linda Bridges, president of the Texas branch of the American Federation of Teachers, which opposed the bill, questioned the importance of the legislation.

“I think we really have to say does this help education when we are caught up in discussions that have become pure partisan discussions that is not the way we should be looking at education,” Bridges said.

The ACLU of Texas also opposed the bill. Spokesman Tom Hargis said, “We hope administrators and teachers remain mindful that it is of utmost importance that it’s parents who teach their children about matters of faith, not public schools.”

According to the National Post, Russell Glasser, co-host of the Austin public-access TV show, “The Atheist Experience," referred to the legislation as one of the many “idiotic little bills.”

“As far as I can tell, nobody has ever actually stopped saying ‘Merry Christmas’ because they’re afraid to get sued,” Glasser told the Raw Story. “Does anybody sue anyone for saying ‘Merry Christmas’? Because I think that’s a bunch of bulls-t.”

source: Texas Passes 'Merry Christmas' Bill to Protect Holidays from Political Correctness

//////////////////////////////////

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Xmas is one of those things I just dont care about. It can stay or go, it really makes no difference to me. I do find it a bit odd that legislatures are spending time on this sort of thing though.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Good for Texas...... and I can't believe I'm sayiing this...but... here goes..... God Bless Texas.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net

State lawmakers in Texas have passed legislation that permits public schools to display nativity scenes, menorahs, or Christmas trees, and allows students and school district staff to use greetings such as, “Merry Christmas,” “Happy Hanukkah,” and “Happy Holidays.”

According to Fox News in Austin, the legislation (HB 308), introduced by Rep. Dwayne Bohac (R-Houston) and dubbed “The Merry Christmas Bill,” received overwhelming approval in the state house, by a margin of 145-2, and was passed unanimously in the state senate, 29-0. The bill will now be sent to Gov. Rick Perry (R) for his signature.

“I was a little flabbergasted and a little upset that we’ve become so politically correct that we can’t call a federal holiday by its name,” Bohac said. “Teachers have enough on their plate to worry about the school districts going to be sued or if they can call a Christmas tree a Christmas tree.”

Bohac said there are two pending lawsuits in Texas related to the use of traditional holiday greetings in schools. “Tales from Christmas Past” provides stories, posted on the bill’s website, submitted by citizens who write of oppression and threats of firings against teachers if they say, “Merry Christmas,” to students or exchange cards or gifts at school.

However, Linda Bridges, president of the Texas branch of the American Federation of Teachers, which opposed the bill, questioned the importance of the legislation.

“I think we really have to say does this help education when we are caught up in discussions that have become pure partisan discussions that is not the way we should be looking at education,” Bridges said.

The ACLU of Texas also opposed the bill. Spokesman Tom Hargis said, “We hope administrators and teachers remain mindful that it is of utmost importance that it’s parents who teach their children about matters of faith, not public schools.”

According to the National Post, Russell Glasser, co-host of the Austin public-access TV show, “The Atheist Experience," referred to the legislation as one of the many “idiotic little bills.”

“As far as I can tell, nobody has ever actually stopped saying ‘Merry Christmas’ because they’re afraid to get sued,” Glasser told the Raw Story. “Does anybody sue anyone for saying ‘Merry Christmas’? Because I think that’s a bunch of bulls-t.”

source: Texas Passes 'Merry Christmas' Bill to Protect Holidays from Political Correctness

//////////////////////////////////

lol Awesome.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Oh you've GOT to be kidding me.

First that they had to pass a bill like this to begin with. Second that it's even an issue.

People need to seriously stop being so P-freakin-C. If I want to say "Merry Christmas" I will. If I want to say "Happy Christmas" I will. If I want to say anything else, I will and if you don't like it, that's not my problem. If I want to be generic and say Happy Holidays, I'll say that, too. But all this hype over saying Merry Christmas is just bordering on stupid.

Bills like this prove it.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

First that they had to pass a bill like this to begin with. Second that it's even an issue.

People need to seriously stop being so P-freakin-C. If I want to say "Merry Christmas" I will. If I want to say "Happy Christmas" I will. If I want to say anything else, I will and if you don't like it, that's not my problem. If I want to be generic and say Happy Holidays, I'll say that, too. But all this hype over saying Merry Christmas is just bordering on stupid.

You can say whatever you want as long as you don't prevent me from saying whatever I want. I say "Merry Christmas" and F...............them that object to it! -;)

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
it's not what what is being said so much as where, that's what this is about

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,

Wanna bet that some atheist group is going to get their collective panties in a twist and take this all the way to the supreme court, and those that think the law is stupid will be cheering them on...........

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Wanna bet that some atheist group is going to get their collective panties in a twist and take this all the way to the supreme court, and those that think the law is stupid will be cheering them on...........

I would be more concerned about some muslim group fighting it than atheists.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
What I find funny is that Christmas is really even a religious holiday anymore. It is a 'Wal-mart holiday'. I know about 5 people that go to midnight mass every year and about 50 that have a hard time explaining where the holiday comes from.

For me it is still a pagan celebration of the winter solstice which was hijacked by Christianity to stop the pagan celebration. Anyone who has done any reading or research on the subject knows that Jesus, if he was real, was born in late spring, not December. For those that don't know most of the Christian holidays are based on observances by prior religions or cultures as are a lot of their rituals....it makes converting people to your religion easier if the keep the changes to a minimum.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,

I would be more concerned about some muslim group fighting it than atheists.

It wasn't muslims who went to court in this case.....

A long battle finally won on the right day for it.............

Mojave Cross Historic Rededication Draws Enthusiastic Veterans Day Crowd

Liberty Institute, VFW, American Legion and Longtime Caretakers Celebrate the Restoration of the Mojave Cross as 200 Supporters Flock to Sunrise Rock on a Cold Veterans Day
CIMA, Calif., Nov. 11, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Today, the Mojave Veterans Memorial Cross rose again to its original glory and stature, made of steel pipe and standing seven-feet high overlooking Sunrise Rock in the Mojave National Preserve where it was first erected in 1934 to honor fallen WWI comrades. During a chilly, three-hour Veterans Day celebration, Liberty Institute, in conjunction with the VFW, the American Legion, longtime caretakers Henry and Wanda Sandoz and many other enthusiastic supporters, re-erected and re-dedicated the new, replacement cross and then took turns reflecting on the historic victory that followed a perilous 13-year religious freedom battle against the ACLU.

Mojave Cross Historic Rededication Draws Enthusiastic Veterans Day Crowd - Yahoo! News

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
It wasn't muslims who went to court in this case.....

Sounds to me like a bunch of F**Kin' nonsense, which should already be covered by "Freedom of Speech". Anyone tries to curtail that with me could get a good kick in the nuts.........................court isn't necessary.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa

If PC things are the big issues of the day the state and country should consider themselves very lucky.