Scandals – Harper- All here in one thread – Come on down and vent your spleen or even

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Scandals – Harper- All here in one thread – Come on down and vent your spleen or even better- offer an informed opinion
No way no how do I believe Harper had any knowledge of the 90 K- nor of the crap going on in the Senate- And I am not in the least fond of Harper.

Now it is up to Harper on how he handles this. AG to audit all MP's and Senators expenses – No negotiations- Same standards and per diems as civil servants – audits to include staff – Office expenses – No family members to be hired - Rigid and clear rules on appointments to the Senate- Resident of the Prov for a min of 10 years. All expenses posted online- All MP's – Senators - No exceptions.

And lastly I think Harper will handle this well. You can rest assured the best advice is being set on his desk.

Senators- Salary plus extras from sitting on committees to be made public- Just another way to feed a pig is my opinion.

Probe urged into senator's role in offshore account - Politics - CBC News
The ruckus over senators and their finances grew louder Tuesday, with a Tory member of the upper chamber demanding answers from Liberal Pana Merchant about $1.7 million her husband moved into offshore account.
Conservative Senator Vern White said he has asked the Senate's ethics officer to look into Merchant's role in the matter, saying there are "serious questions" to be dealt with.

A hellish two weeks for government | Full Comment | National Post

Just a few things from the article.

In Ottawa the opposition parties are suddenly in a jam, unlike any they’ve encountered in seven-plus years of Harper government. With so many Conservative scandals on the front burner at one time, and a limited number of allotted questions in the House of Commons, how to deal with them all? It’s a logistical nightmare.

Set aside for a moment the Senate expense scandal, concerning the still-unfathomable $90,000 payment to former Conservative Senator Mike Duffy from former PMO Chief of Staff Nigel Wright. Never mind the simple weirdness of the fact that Wright had to be run down, on the hoof as it were, by an intrepid and apparently fit CTV reporter, Daniele Hamamdjian, and her cameraman, Jimmy MacDonald, during a 4 a.m. jog, before he, Wright, would take his first questions about the affair. Let’s take a glance at the rest of the pack.

First of course is robocalls, a pattern of gerrymandering first unearthed by my Postmedia colleagues Glen McGregor and Stephen Maher in February of last year. Last Thursday Federal Court judge Richard Mosley ruled that in the May 2, 2011 election, electoral fraud occurred in ridings nationwide, albeit not to a degree great enough to change outcomes.

Next is the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency and its patronage-tainted hiring of Kevin MacAdam, a former staffer of Defence Minister Peter MacKay. Monday the Halifax Chronicle-Herald reported that a Public Service Commission draft report on the 2010 hiring was edited to delete a paragraph suggesting political interference. The edit was done at the behest of MacKay’s office, according to the account by the Chronicle-Herald‘s Paul McLeod.

Moving from patronage back to alleged fraud, one-time Stephen Harper appointee Arthur Porter is back in the news. Porter, whom the Harper government named chairman of the Security Intelligence Review Committee in 2010 and who resigned in 2011 following a National Post investigation into his dealings, was arrested in Panama this week and charged with fraud. As head of the SIRC, Porter had access to state secrets. Extradition proceedings are under way, the Post‘s Brian Hutchinson reports. Cue the Graham Greene references.

According to reporting by the Canadian Press, CSIS was aware of Delisle’s illicit activities for months before his arrest, but neglected to inform the RCMP. The Mounties first heard it from the FBI. Opposition leader Tom Mulcair pressed Public Safety Minister Vic Toews on this bit of outrageousness in the Commons Monday but, amid the din over Duff, it barely registered.

Senate committee debates referring Duffy expense claims to RCMP - Politics - CBC News

The Senate committee tasked with reviewing the controversial expense claims of Senator Mike Duffy will be opened up to the public Tuesday afternoon as it plans its second look at the now-former Conservative's books.
Duffy didn't appear at the meeting, despite a suggestion to a reporter earlier that he would, and despite the fact his lawyer asked the committee about the time and the place of the meeting to review the controversial $90,000 cheque he received from Nigel Wright, Prime Minister Stephen Harper's former chief of staff.
"Why wouldn't I?" Duffy replied when asked by a reporter Tuesday if he planned to show up.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...while-campaigning-for-tories/article12213603/

Senate officials have confirmed that Mike Duffy claimed and received living expenses while he was campaigning for the Conservatives during the last federal election.

The information was revealed during a meeting of a Senate committee reviewing the former Conservative senator’s expense claims.

The Senate’s finance department found that Duffy claimed daily living expenses on seven days during the campaign period when he was not in Ottawa.

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon
Harper is sucking the life blood out of Canada like a giant vampire squid.
Harper is everything that is evil and wrong in the entire universe boiled down into a shabby suit.
Kittens are dying.
Planets are falling out of their orbits and suns are dwindling.
For the love of all that is holy.
Who can save us?
Who?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I spit on Harper...........

There...

I've done my contribution to this thread........
Nah- I think Harper will handle this well. He now has the clear opportunity to attack and change the corruption in the Senate and the House.
Wait and see if he takes it.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Harper is everything that is evil and wrong in the entire universe boiled down into a shabby suit.
Kittens are dying.
Who can save us?
Who?
I was with you on the first two sentences. But then you fell into absurdity, so it is clear you are a Harpo wannabe.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Kittens are dying.
Who can save us?
Who?

Well I can state categorically that it would not be you.
Holy - needs Caps for the first letter.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Nah- I think Harper will handle this well. He now has the clear opportunity to attack and change the corruption in the Senate and the House.
Wait and see if he takes it.
And I thought that this was a pick on Harper thread......

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
And I thought that this was a pick on Harper thread......

I dislike Harper- I dislike a ton of what he has done- I also look at the other crowd.

Harper has a chance to act- he will have public support for radical change- radical change is something he likes but uses on rare occasions- incremental is his way - he can leave a legacy on acting upon corruption within the Senate and the House- - watch and see. If he does it right - well the next election will have a good lock on it.

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon
Well I can state categorically that it would not be you.
Holy - needs Caps for the first letter.

I don't run spell check.

A few typos here and there( or is it their or they're) better yet who's on first?
Or is it whose?

Sorry about the cap not happening.
But I still ain't gonna run spell check.

Palindrome

Nominee Member
May 14, 2013
Whatever i had to vent over Harper and the harpoons, i vented after that disastrous election.

This is mundane administrative crap. Okay, it seems largely represented by fatheads - rude ones - but that's characteristic of conservative governments everywhere, isn't it? What matters can be read in the fading out of independent public communication media, the poison in rivers, the crowd-control equipment of urban police, the fear in people's eyes. And that didn't happen in a week.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
All Governments start with the promises and best intentions. After twelve years the biggest
issue is to survive. The electorate is tired of you, the issues are harder to define because the
road to power is no longer littered with the mistakes of others they are your mistakes and
shortcomings. This government has been around for twelve years three terms and people are
restless and wondering what they are missing politically.
The people in the roles of governance also change they now feel somewhat or outright entitled
and the cracks begin to show. This is why I believe Harper will not run again, he will make a
graceful exit before the next election. There is also rumors of a struggle within the party
that threatens the stability of the party itself. Some want to fulfill the Reform Promise which is
out of touch with Canadians today, others have their fiscal conservative vent but people are
no getting tired of the agenda.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
I dislike Harper- I dislike a ton of what he has done- I also look at the other crowd.

Harper has a chance to act- he will have public support for radical change- radical change is something he likes but uses on rare occasions- incremental is his way - he can leave a legacy on acting upon corruption within the Senate and the House- - watch and see. If he does it right - well the next election will have a good lock on it.

You seem, through kindness or conviction, to grant solace to our Conservative comrades arguing that we should not trust democracy, after all, its practice may replace our dear leader with a lesser mortal. After all, "Ein Reich, Ein Volk, Ein Fuhrer."

Let's trust democracy,...,please.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
You seem, through kindness or conviction, to grant solace to our Conservative comrades arguing that we should not trust democracy, after all, its practice may replace our dear leader with a lesser mortal. After all, "Ein Reich, Ein Volk, Ein Fuhrer."

Let's trust democracy,...,please.

Radical change in accountability of all expenses, per diems and closed door meeting- open the doors and open them wide - more democracy, more accountability - that is what I want.

He has that chance now- Should take the bull by the horns and ram the change thru.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
I don't run spell check.

A few typos here and there( or is it their or they're) better yet who's on first?
Or is it whose?

Sorry about the cap not happening.
But I still ain't gonna run spell check.

Contraction of who is ? = who's .

But whatthe heck.:lol:

I only get seriously on China's case re grammar, cause he's such a know it all prick.

Makes all Polish people hate their ancestry. ............well, cept him.

I didn't think I had spellcheck, till it started correcting me........

IMAGINE!!! correcting ME!!!:roll:

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
The NDP are really big on polls ;-)
Perhaps the Libs think we have all forgotten their own numerous scandals over many years. Anybody think we will ever have an honest gov't?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
The NDP are really big on polls ;-)
Perhaps the Libs think we have all forgotten their own numerous scandals over many years. Anybody think we will ever have an honest gov't?

Well Mulcair has moved the NDP closer to the center- Trudeau has not impressed me so far. Mulcair has in some ways.