Family Pit Bull attacks 2 day old

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Best comment ; Someone needs to SUE all the huge pit bull advocacy groups. Forget suing the individual owners. Go for the organizations that are spreading the lies that these are "pets".

She was initially taken to the Coffeyville Regional Medical Center with life threatening injuries. She was then transported to Wesley Medical Center in Wichita and is listed in stable condition.

The Coffeyville Police Chief says the attack happened Thursday near a dog pen on the family's property. He says there were five pit bulls there and two have been put down.

Two day old baby attacked by pit bull - kwch.com

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
It seems to me that, while I'm not a fan of pits, what seems to be at play in many pit attacks is the pack issue. So often, it's multiple dogs that are involved, implying that they are undersocialized pen dogs, or breeding stock, not even 'pets', just property sitting in a cage.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Dogs consider the humans in a family as their pack. When a new pack member came along the dog was showing the new comer it's rank in the pack.

That's what Cesar says anyway.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Dogs consider the humans in a family as their pack. When a new pack member came along the dog was showing the new comer it's rank in the pack.

That's what Cesar says anyway.

That's if the dog is part of the family 'pack'. If it's not, a baby is just a weird looking animal that makes funny noises and might be fun to shake and eat.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Good point.

If the dogs aren't part of the family pack, then this is still an owner issue and not a dog breed issue.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Good point.

If the dogs aren't part of the family pack, then this is still an owner issue and not a dog breed issue.

The only reason it's a breed issue is the sheer amount of damage they can do once they snap.

I'd never own a pit for that reason.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
what on earth was a new born, (or any small child) doing near a pen with 'five' dogs in it, and it really
doesn't matter the breed at that point, its the numbers all together without respect for 'where' they are,
without one of the 'human' pack right there to supervise.

I raised and showed dogs for years, and have never had 5,4,3, maybe 2 dogs in a pen
at any time, together, not a healthy environment for the dogs.

human error again, and the dogs reputation suffers.

dog whisperer will explain the pitt bull on many occasions, and he owns them as well, and yes he is an
expert on dog behavior, and his dogs would not ever have a chance to be in the position that these dogs
were 'put' in.

its 'always' the people, and many people own pitts just to make a statement to the world, gives them
a sense of false power, and strength.
A very ignorant and dangerous breed of human.

I'm glad the baby will recover, hope no permanent scars, and maybe this incident will bring some sense
into the heads of the owners, with the help of authorities.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The only reason it's a breed issue is the sheer amount of damage they can do once they snap.

I'd never own a pit for that reason.
There are some really out there myths when it comes to the bite pressure of a Pit Bull.

A German Sheppard has around the same bite pressure as a Pit at 238psi and 235psi for the Pit and no their jaws don't lock.

I think they are great dogs except for the short hair that makes them unable to be outdoor dogs 365 days of the year.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
There are some really out there myths when it comes to the bite pressure of a Pit Bull.

A German Sheppard has around the same bite pressure as a Pit at 238psi and 235psi for the Pit and no their jaws don't lock.

I think they are great dogs except for the short hair that makes them unable to be outdoor dogs 365 days of the year.

I wouldn't get any big breed dog unless I could give it 24/7 training and attention (or a farm to run freely on). Which virtually no family can do, only a handful of qualified trainers (or farmers/large acreages).

Having my dog do something wrong is worrisome enough with medium and small dogs, if a big breed dog of mine ever injured someone, that would kill me.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I wouldn't get any big breed dog unless I could give it 24/7 training and attention (or a farm to run freely on). Which virtually no family can do, only a handful of qualified trainers (or farmers/large acreages).

Having my dog do something wrong is worrisome enough with medium and small dogs, if a big breed dog of mine ever injured someone, that would kill me.

me too, I own a choc labrador now, will be getting a second one soon. I raised them and showed them for
years, and that was always my first concern. 'I never want any dog of mine bothering anyone, let alone
injuring them.'

I was walking one day with my older choc lab. 'joe', on leash, and a young mother came toward me along
with her toddler, and she asked me if her little girl could pet joe.
Joe was very gentle, but no use to kids, so I said 'no', as I had no idea what the little girl would do when
she came to the dog, as some little kids, throw their arms around a dogs neck, or make sudden jerky movements,
and joe would have been startled if that happened, although he probably still would not have been aggressive,
but I said no anyway, but suggested that she stand away from joe and talk to him, say hi to him, which
she did, joe sat down and looked at her, and if he could talk he would have said hi back, no contact, we
said good bye, have a nice day.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

I love dogs but won't have one in the city for the exact reasons you mention.

My Sheps on the farm are working dogs that I get limited time with and they are still awesome pets but I'd never trust them around a baby.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Good point.

It is definitely a breed issue. Irresponsible breeders have bred these dogs for aggressiveness and other attributes that made them successful fighting dogs and guard dogs. Thank God dog fights are now mostly a thing of the past but inbreeding has made Pit Bulls and other similar breeds unreliable and dangerous. What I have never understood is how people can still think of these dogs as pets. The idea that guard dogs and pet dogs to have around children can be the same animal is ludicrous. It is not as if these terrible Pit Bull attacks over the years have been secret.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Dezel - my half-Chockie-half red husky - loves kids. Their little faces always taste like that stuff he never gets to try. His tail could send a kid into orbit (and the clumsy bugger can tangle himself around a ball) For those reasons, I keep him well in check when he hears a kid voice. Should'a called him Clifford....

...hope he doesn't kiss any more pitbulls