Extremely emaciated teen found dead in Calgary home

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
CALGARY -- Police are releasing little information on the discovery of a teenage boy found dead and extremely emaciated in a Citadel home this week.But some disturbing possible details are emerging.

While an emergency call came in just after 10 p.m. Tuesday for reports of a deceased youth, sources said it is believed family of the teen initially turned to religious support to deal with possible medical problems, ultimately ending in tragedy.

Police have said little on the case and could not confirm that information, saying only circumstances are suspicious and additional autopsy findings are required to offer more answers.

They are not releasing the cause or nature of the death of the teen, believed to be 15.

more

Sun News : Extremely emaciated teen found dead in Calgary home

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I hope they bring charges against those parents and put those other children in a safe place. 15 year olds do not get emaciated by accident, something desperately needed was withheld.

Roedy

Apr 3, 2012
Victoria
I have a suspicion what happened is the parents were Christian fundamentalists. That is often the motive for home schooling. The boy showed some sign of being gay, and the parents decided maltreatment would beat the demons out of him. That is the number one reason parents justify maltreatment of teenage boys. That would explain why only he was singled out.

I hope reporters do some digging. This is the sort of thing hard to keep from neighbours.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I have a suspicion what happened is the parents were Christian fundamentalists. That is often the motive for home schooling. The boy showed some sign of being gay, and the parents decided maltreatment would beat the demons out of him. That is the number one reason parents justify maltreatment of teenage boys. That would explain why only he was singled out.

I hope reporters do some digging. This is the sort of thing hard to keep from neighbours.

I'd love to see your sources for that assertion.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I'd love to see your sources for that assertion.
They are in his/her head- A Cscan does not show judgement, good or bad, nor arriving at a logical conclusion based upon a news story tainted with preconceived bias.

Roedy

Apr 3, 2012
Victoria
The CBC said the boy was homeschooled. The rest is speculation. However my guess is based on much experience in gay lib dealing with irrational cruel religious parents of gay teens. I wrote a book called A Guide For the Naive Homosexual which attracted thousands of death threats from homophobic religious bigots.

A number of studies of homeless youth in big cities put forth a startling statistic: Depending on the study, somewhere between 30 and 40 percent of homeless youths identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender.

~ Margot Adler 1946-04-16
Young, Gay And Homeless: Fighting For Resources : NPR

Religious parents usually toss gay teens onto the street and disown them. In one case I recall circa 1971 in Vancouver when parents tried to shoot the teen's boyfriend. They don't care if their child freezes to death. This is the most likely motive for the intensity and self-righteous cruelty needed to starve just one of your sons to death.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
A number of studies of homeless youth in big cities put forth a startling
statistic: Depending on the study, somewhere between 30 and 40 percent of
homeless youths identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender.

And 11% are schizophrenic... you could just as easily speculate that they were trying to starve the demons in his head.

23% of natives in BC are homeless.

Going by your thinking we could speculate he was a Christian, homeschooled, gay, schizophrenic Native?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
To make that kind of accusation of the family with nothing other than 'homeschooled' to extrapolate from makes no sense, sorry.

I've known atheists who homeschool, and there is no reason to think he was gay. There could be so many incredibly diverse reasons for the way he died, that until there I actually something to go on, your version reads like a victim fantasy... wishing he died supporting your view of the world.

Roedy

Apr 3, 2012
Victoria
Before I wrote here, I wrote one of the reporters on the story. That gave them an angle to investigate. They thanked me. I don't understand the hostility here to speculating. In crime fiction, the investigator gathers clues and makes hypothesis and sees if they are consistent with the clues. I have seen this pattern so often before it strikes me as the most likely. Whether the boy was native has little to do with motive, which is what I think most people are most curious about. Hopefully the motive will come out at the trial.

One other fact we can deduce is that the family was relatively prosperous. Look at their house
Calgary teen found dead had been in provincial care - Calgary - CBC News
look at 100 block of Citadel Drive N.W in Calgary in Google Earth.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Before I wrote here, I wrote one of the reporters on the story. That gave them an angle to investigate. They thanked me. I don't understand the hostility here to speculating. .
They need to be more polite than we do in telling you how you sound.

Considering that original reports said it sounded like the family were trying to treat his diabetes via religion, making things up about him and them beyond that is bizarre.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Before I wrote here, I wrote one of the reporters on the story. That gave them an angle to investigate. They thanked me. I don't understand the hostility here to speculating. In crime fiction, the investigator gathers clues and makes hypothesis and sees if they are consistent with the clues. I have seen this pattern so often before it strikes me as the most likely. Whether the boy was native has little to do with motive, which is what I think most people are most curious about. Hopefully the motive will come out at the trial.

One other fact we can deduce is that the family was relatively prosperous. Look at their house
Calgary teen found dead had been in provincial care - Calgary - CBC News
look at 100 block of Citadel Drive N.W in Calgary in Google Earth.

In crime fiction- Good - that is not what we discuss on this Forum- fiction that is.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
There are some sects within the fundamentalist movement that punish any behavior they
believe is demon related and that becomes a serious problem. Intervention should not be
seen as an afront to religious beliefs when something like this happens. If they withheld a
cure or treatment it should be a criminal matter not a religious one.
We don't know what the problem was, and for that matter what religion is at play here.
If it was a case of someone being gay, that would not even be a medical problem problem
and if the demons were to be exorcised those in charge should be working on the parents.
Of course we don't know the details but this is sad in any event there are no winner here
regardless. It is sad to think that in this day and age people can be duped by fifteenth
century beliefs.

Roedy

Apr 3, 2012
Victoria
I have have never seen first nations parents treat a gay child with horrified rejection or violence. One of things that happens is that child is pressured into becoming a shaman/healer.

Could someone explain why this forum considers speculation about this crime wicked but excoriating the accused is ok.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
There is good reason to suppose that this century has a higher percentage of dupes than any before. You may have been duped regarding our superiority now in the twenty first.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I have have never seen first nations parents treat a gay child with horrified rejection or violence. One of things that happens is that child is pressured into becoming a shaman/healer.

Could someone explain why this forum considers speculation about this crime wicked but excoriating the accused is ok.

Telling you what we think, when you tell us what you think, is hardly as mean as you think it is.

You are hoping that this youth fits your victim scenario because it would lend credibility to your book and your viewpoint, and that comes across in your posts.

To get from 'homeschooled' to 'he was starved to death for being gay', is a ridiculous leap in logic.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
To get from 'homeschooled' to 'he was starved to death for being gay', is a ridiculous leap in logic.
But speculation and leaps of logic are regular fare on here. Just read any anti-Obama or Justin Trudeau threads.

Last edited:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I think all religious intervention into medical cases should be postponed until the Second Coming transpires!