Photographer turns lens on people who mock her weight

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

Photographer turns lens on people who mock her weight - The Globe and Mail

Haley Morris-Cafiero has struggled with her body weight ever since she finished high school. Diagnosed with hypothyroidism, a condition that causes weight gain, Morris-Cafiero has tried and failed to slim down by restricting her diet and furiously exercising. But that hasn’t stopped others from ridiculing her weight.

Link to photos
Haley Morris-Cafiero Photography

Another story
Bully messes with wrong newswoman as her response goes viral - The Globe and Mail

The bullies are getting it again.

A Wisconsin anchorwoman went public about a viewer who excoriated her for her weight in an e-mail, and the video’s going viral, with shades of the bullied bus monitor story all over it.

On Tuesday, Jennifer Livingston of WKBT-TV in La Crosse, Wisc, went on air to discuss the e-mail she’d received the previous Friday. The subject line was “Community Responsibility.”

“I was surprised indeed to witness that your physical condition hasn’t improved for many years,” the note read. “Surely you don’t consider yourself a suitable example for this community’s young people, girls in particular. Obesity is one of the worst choices a person can make...”

Livingston’s husband, a fellow anchor, was livid. He posted the message on his Facebook page, which was then quickly flooded by supporters.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

She'd catch me staring at her with much the same as many of those expressions, and not because of her weight, but because of her bad posture, slack jaw, and the look like she's constantly on the verge of tears.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
She'd catch me staring at her with much the same as many of those expressions, and not because of her weight, but because of her bad posture, slack jaw, and the look like she's constantly on the verge of tears.

Although some of those pictures could be of people mocking... like the cops for example... others are just people looking. Some do not even appear to be looking at her and yet she has "outted" them. Many people like "people watching".

And on second thought... it seems she has a bit of paranoia about being looked at more than she actually is.

Which leads yours truly to a story of my youth. At the Mall when I was about 11 or so me and my cousin and his buddy were sitting and laughing. Out of the blue this wild looking man... 6'+ and skinny as a bean pole walks up to us...

"Are you making fun of me?!?!?!"

We were shocked and scared... I was. He would not let us be. Insisting that we made fun of him... following us around...

"I know you were laughing at me."

Creeeepyyyy. We left the mall as he was following us at a distance... we rounded a building corner and ...

BOOM!

We were off to the races!

Last edited:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Honestly, I see a lot of me in her.

I have a rampant paranoia that people are staring and judging me. It keeps me inside some days. I have a hard time, because I insist if I'm going out I'd better look decent and not be a slob, but, being done up means... people look at you. It's a vicious cycle. But I've learned that it is exactly what I said... paranoia. And letting paranoia guide you to 'reading people's minds', is a path to serious mental illness. I hope someone, somewhere, smartens her up and makes her realize that people staring quizzically at other people who are behaving outside the norm, is not 'judging', it's curiosity.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Maybe it's just me but in quite a few of those photos it seems as if she's either stepping out in front of people or doing something to attract attention to herself. Which is not to say that people don't judge other people by how they look, or even that some people don't judge her by how she looks, but a lot of the photos read a bit 'forced' to me. For all we know, and this is just a guess based on the expression on some faces, it could very well be that people noticed the photographer about to snap a photo of her and turned to look in a "I wonder who that is" kind of way.

This is sort of related to what Karrie has said about paranoia but I think if people go out expecting attention then they'll probably get it.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
As I viewed her photos, I was reminded of one Santa Clause parade in Sutton, where we have a home for people with mental disorders.

Nothing crazy or dangerous, just people that wander off the beaten path.

A group of them were huddled near us, and like kids, they were eagerly awaiting the arrival of the jolly fat dude. A family saddled up between them and us and it didn't take dear old dad long to take notice of them.

The look he gave them was ignorant, as he rounded up his wife and tween son and found a safer spot to watch the parade.

It's funny how people react to things that really shouldn't be reacted too.